Lessons from my new home theater - Rafi and Kishore are the best

gourav

Been meaning to post this here for a while. I bought an HT a few months ago. Before I got this setup, I used to play music very rarely, like half an hour a week. However, with the new speakers (Taga Azure B-40) giving great sound output, I started playing music more often.

I used to listen to all kinds of music earlier, but with headphones, I mostly preferred listening to English music with female vocals. However, when I started playing music on my home theater, I preferred music which was quieter and melodious. Hence I started leaning towards old Hindi songs, mostly from the 70s. I started noticing that I liked Rafi's and Kishore Kumar's songs a lot. With Rafi and Kishore, the variety in their voice is unbelievable. Initially it was hard to tell that all the songs were sung by the same person in a Rafi collection, he sounds so different depending on the tone of the song. Later I noticed the same quality in Kishore's songs as well.

The Aha moment came when I accidentally played Raat Kali Ek Khwab Me Aayi sung by Kumar Sanu instead of the original. I found myself rather unimpressed and in 2 minutes, I had changed to the original, sung by Kishore. Since then I have listened more closely and I feel that most other singers fail to come even close to the range and versatility of these two. Udit Narayan might be in the running to some extent, but Kumar Sanu and Sonu Nigam pretty much sound the same in all their songs.

I notice the same quality in Lata's voice from the 60s and 70s, but as we get closer to the 90s, her voice started sounding same in all songs. She's still quite pleasant, but her songs from later years are not at pleasant to the ears. Not sure if this is because of her age or changes in recording/editing etc.

And no offence to any singers, there are quite a few other brilliant singers as well. Mukesh, Manna Dey, S. P. Balasubramanian, Suresh Wadkar, Hariharan, Shankar Mahadevan, Shaan, Abhijeet, Arijeet Singh, etc. are all brilliant singers in their own right. However, in my personal ranking, they are quite a few rungs below the genius of Rafi and Kishore.

So yeah, I got an HT, and now I'm a huge fan of Rafi and Kishore, two singers I had never thought much about till 3 months ago.

I started noticing that I liked Rafi's and Kishore Kumar's songs a lot. With Rafi and Kishore, the variety in their voice is unbelievable. Initially it was hard to tell that all the songs were sung by the same person in a Rafi collection, he sounds so different depending on the tone of the song. Later I noticed the same quality in Kishore's songs as well.
I have been telling the same things to others. Nothing beats hindi songs from the 70s, 60s from Kishore and Rafi. Lata was too good in the 50s. The songs from Sri 420, Barsaat and many others from the 50s here voice is unparalled. Even Asha was almost equally good and I think she sang marathi songs better than Lata. In the 50s it surely feels that Lata tried to copy Noor Jehan uneccessarily.

Kishore voice too was so different in the 50s, but unfortunately Music producers didn't give him that many songs in the 50s. Just listen to one of his early songs from 1951

Apart from all the above I love Talat too. Not for the range, but the quality of his voice in the limited range he sang. He sung very few songs though. The songs "jalte hain jiske liye", "Zindagi Dene Wale Sun" and many others from the 50s are superb.

Rafi
Been meaning to post this here for a while. I bought an HT a few months ago. Before I got this setup, I used to play music very rarely, like half an hour a week. However, with the new speakers (Taga Azure B-40) giving great sound output, I started playing music more often.

I used to listen to all kinds of music earlier, but with headphones, I mostly preferred listening to English music with female vocals. However, when I started playing music on my home theater, I preferred music which was quieter and melodious. Hence I started leaning towards old Hindi songs, mostly from the 70s. I started noticing that I liked Rafi's and Kishore Kumar's songs a lot. With Rafi and Kishore, the variety in their voice is unbelievable. Initially it was hard to tell that all the songs were sung by the same person in a Rafi collection, he sounds so different depending on the tone of the song. Later I noticed the same quality in Kishore's songs as well.

The Aha moment came when I accidentally played Raat Kali Ek Khwab Me Aayi sung by Kumar Sanu instead of the original. I found myself rather unimpressed and in 2 minutes, I had changed to the original, sung by Kishore. Since then I have listened more closely and I feel that most other singers fail to come even close to the range and versatility of these two. Udit Narayan might be in the running to some extent, but Kumar Sanu and Sonu Nigam pretty much sound the same in all their songs.

I notice the same quality in Lata's voice from the 60s and 70s, but as we get closer to the 90s, her voice started sounding same in all songs. She's still quite pleasant, but her songs from later years are not at pleasant to the ears. Not sure if this is because of her age or changes in recording/editing etc.

And no offence to any singers, there are quite a few other brilliant singers as well. Mukesh, Manna Dey, S. P. Balasubramanian, Suresh Wadkar, Hariharan, Shankar Mahadevan, Shaan, Abhijeet, Arijeet Singh, etc. are all brilliant singers in their own right. However, in my personal ranking, they are quite a few rungs below the genius of Rafi and Kishore.

So yeah, I got an HT, and now I'm a huge fan of Rafi and Kishore, two singers I had never thought much about till 3 months ago.
Absolutely agree. Rafi Sahab and Kishore Da, both were very versatile singers with great voice control and could sing different genre of songs with equal ease. Be it romantic, happy, pensive, sad or slow songs. Rafi Sahab particularly was a Master of slow songs. His voice control is amazing in some of the songs listed below. IMO he is numero Uno in slow songs.

*Kahin ek masoom nazuk si ladki
* Man re tu kahe na dheer dhare
* Aap ke haseen Rukh pe aaj Naya Noor hai
* Chhoo lene do nazuk hoton ko kuchh aur nahi
* Din dhal jaye hai raat na jaye
* Hum bekhudi mein tumko pukaare chale gaye
* Chahunga mein tujhe saanjh savere
* Abhi na jaao chhod kar
* Woh hain Zara khafa khafa
* Mere Mahboob tujhe meri mohabbat ki kasam
* Do sitaaron hai Milan Aaj ki raat
* Hui shaam unka khayal aa gaya
* Main zindagi ka saath nibhata chala gaya
* Yeh Mera Prem patr padh kar
* Main kahin kavi na ban jaaon tere pyar mein e kavita
* Aaj ki raat mere dil ki salaami lele
* Dil Jo na keh saka (it is not very slow but pitch variation is amazing)

The list is long.....

I have been telling the same things to others. Nothing beats hindi songs from the 70s, 60s from Kishore and Rafi. Lata was too good in the 50s. The songs from Sri 420, Barsaat and many others from the 50s here voice is unparalled. Even Asha was almost equally good and I think she sang marathi songs better than Lata. In the 50s it surely feels that Lata tried to copy Noor Jehan uneccessarily.

Kishore voice too was so different in the 50s, but unfortunately Music producers didn't give him that many songs in the 50s. Just listen to one of his early songs from 1951

Apart from all the above I love Talat too. Not for the range, but the quality of his voice in the limited range he sang. He sung very few songs though. The songs "jalte hain jiske liye", "Zindagi Dene Wale Sun" and many others from the 50s are superb.
Talat Sahab had a such a beautiful velvet voice.

*Humse aaya na gaya (Dekh Kabira Roya),
*Jayen to jayen kahaan (Taxi Driver),
*Tasveer banata hun (Baradari),
* Seene mein sulagtein hain armaan (Taraana), *Sham-e-gham ki qasam (Footpath),
* Meri yaad mein tumna (Madhosh),
* Phir wohi sham wohi gam (Jahanara),
* Aye mere dil kahin aur chal (Daag),
* Zindagi dene wale sun (Dil-e-Nadaan)
* Itna na mujhse tu pyaar badha (Chhaya)
* Dil-e-Nadan tujhe hua kya hai
* Hoke majboor mujhe kisne bulaya hoga (Haqeeqat)
* Main teri nazar ka suroor hoon.

Yes, the golden era of Hindi film music was 50s to 70s.

Each and every one of the above are in my favourite. The other lovely thing about the music those days was the lyrics. The lyrics were penned with lot of heart and poetry. This poetry went dead from the 80s. Also the Music composers were also very good singers

Here is Salil Da singing Na Mono Lage Na

And here is another music composer Madan Mohan singing himself. He joined the Army as a Second Lieutenant in the year 1943. He served there for two years until end of world war 2, when he left the Army and returned to Bombay to pursue his musical interests.

The other lovely thing about the music those days was the lyrics. The lyrics were penned with lot of heart and poetry. This poetry went dead from the 80s. Also the Music composers were also very good singers
Absolutely....majority of song writers those days were shayars. Sahir Ludhyanvi, Shakeel Badayuni, Shailendra, Majrooh Sultanpuri, Hasrat Jaipuri, Anand Bakshi, Indeevar, Rajinder Krishan, shahryar, Nida Fazli, Gulzar....

Musicians - Naushad Sahab, SD Burman, Salil Choudhury, Shankar Jaikishan, Laxmikant Pyarelal, Kalyanji Anandji, Khyyam, Pancham, OP Nayyar, Madan Mohan,.....

Rafi

Absolutely agree. Rafi Sahab and Kishore Da, both were very versatile singers with great voice control and could sing different genre of songs with equal ease. Be it romantic, happy, pensive, sad or slow songs. Rafi Sahab particularly was a Master of slow songs. His voice control is amazing in some of the songs listed below. IMO he is numero Uno in slow songs.

*Kahin ek masoom nazuk si ladki
* Man re tu kahe na dheer dhare
* Aap ke haseen Rukh pe aaj Naya Noor hai
* Chhoo lene do nazuk hoton ko kuchh aur nahi
* Din dhal jaye hai raat na jaye
* Hum bekhudi mein tumko pukaare chale gaye
* Chahunga mein tujhe saanjh savere
* Abhi na jaao chhod kar
* Woh hain Zara khafa khafa
* Mere Mahboob tujhe meri mohabbat ki kasam
* Do sitaaron hai Milan Aaj ki raat
* Hui shaam unka khayal aa gaya
* Main zindagi ka saath nibhata chala gaya
* Yeh Mera Prem patr padh kar
* Main kahin kavi na ban jaaon tere pyar mein e kavita
* Aaj ki raat mere dil ki salaami lele
* Dil Jo na keh saka (it is not very slow but pitch variation is amazing)

The list is long.....
Some of these songs are already my favourites. Will listen to the others which are new to me.

I've heard a couple of Talat Mehmood's songs, nothing has registered for me so far. Will play them again some day.

Madan Mohan with Talat Mahmood or Rafi is heavenly treat to ears

Phir wohi sham wohi gam
Main teri nazar ka suroor hoon

Two outstanding songs of Talat. Another one is yeh hawa ye raat ye Chandni, tune of which was copied by Madan Mohan himself for a Rafi song Tujhe kya sunaun main dilruba

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back