LG PK550 and PK590 - Same or different series?

Bublu Bhuyan

In the United Kingdom there's this PK590 series of Plasma from LG, while in the United States there ain't no PK590 series but PK550.

While we do know that the PK550 series will be released in India this year, is it different from the PK590 series in the United Kingdom, or are they basically the same?

Gosh, some bad news. I just called the local dealer of LG and they confirmed that the PK550 series is a different one from the PK590 series. Most importantly, while both the series of Plasmas will be launched in India this year, PK590 series will come only in 60 inches which will cost around Rs. 1.7 lakh. The PK550 series will however come in both 50 inches (Rs. 78,990 which will be reduced to Rs. 72,000 after discount) and 60 inches (Rs. 150,000 which will be reduced to Rs. 130,000 after discount). The highly rated review on CNET UK site we have found is regarding the PK590 series, which does not apply at all to the PK550 series.

This is so annoying.

PK590 has Freeview HD and THX modes.

There's no freeview HD services in India.

As for the the THX modes you can always calibrate your set.

Other features remain same.

Last edited:
Bublu,

Yes the CNet UK review is for the PK590 plasma, but so what? The PK550 is what matters and Chad B. from AVS Forums has done a very nice review of this PK550 model and even compared it to the Panasonic G25 unit. The review is very good and he concludes saying that the PK550 is excellent. Here is the link to his review:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...8&postcount=88

---Venkat

Waiting for prices to come down, won't mind going for a 60" model. As i already have a 42" plasma and looking for upgrade in another 6 months time frame.

I have re-checked the LG 60PK550 plasma. It has the contrast ratio of 3,000,000:1. The 50" plasma has the same specification as 60".

I'm in a bit of a hassle. Which one to go for PK550 or C550. LG doesn't have the annoying buzzing problem which Samsung seems to carry with it's new 2010 Plasma models as well, while Samsung in all probability will provide better picture quality with better black levels.

I'm in a bit of a hassle. Which one to go for PK550 or C550. LG doesn't have the annoying buzzing problem which Samsung seems to carry with it's new 2010 Plasma models as well, while Samsung in all probability will provide better picture quality with better black levels.

Get a demo dude..
and all your doubts will be cleared..
don't buy anything based on internet reviews only..

I have Samsung 2009 model plasma and I did not find any buzzing problem till date..

Samsung is going to cost you 5K extra at least.. but worth the PQ difference..

Get a demo dude..
and all your doubts will be cleared..
don't buy anything based on internet reviews only..

I have Samsung 2009 model plasma and I did not find any buzzing problem till date..

Samsung is going to cost you 5K extra at least.. but worth the PQ difference..

That's precisely what I'm thinking. If the buzzing issue isn't there, it's always Samsung for me. Most of us won't mind paying 5-6K more for better picture quality, after all.

While it may be true that Samsung would give better picture quality with better black levels (still depends on what looks better to the purchaser's eyes), Samsung's service seems to leave a lot to be desired. Their sales attitude sucks as well. Even though they may have a good product, these things put people off easily.

I, along with 2 of my colleagues purchased LG plasmas last July (42PQ70 for myself, 50PQ30 for another colleague, and two 42PQ30s for another colleague) here in Chennai and have had no problems. In fact my friend said he had called up LG service just because he "thought" there was some problem with the panel as he noticed some flickering, and the LG service guys attended the call promptly and landed up within 2 days. It seems they explained to him well and convinced him that it wasn't a problem with the plasma.

Whereas the stories I have heard about Samsung haven't been good. So perhaps as long as you don't have problems with the product, it's fine for Panasonic and Samsung.

Like Blasto said earlier, Samsung and Panasonic may have better picture quality than LG plasmas, but LG's service is much better and LG plasmas seem to be better all rounders with slightly lesser black levels. Still of course, it depends on whether the purchases is willing to risk the service level in exchange for better picture quality. As for me, I certainly wouldn't do that.

Personally i never would buy a product looking at the service reports, as if the product needs service then it is not a good product in the first place itself.

Have seen lot of bashing happening to Samsung plasmas. Personally i have had one from last 3 years and never faced any issues.

In the end buy what fits your budget and suits the eye.

Yes personally i have always found the Samsung plasma to be better than LG's.

So demo the sets and then take a call as to what you want to buy.

While Samsung Plasmas in general did get great reviews last year, I don't think it's right to assume that they'll be better than the LGs this year as well.

PK550 has got a fair number of reviews and they've all by and large been excellent (albeit PK750 hasn't got good reviews). Unfortunately, the reviews for the Samsung C550 are fewer (CNET, Cleveland Plasma) and I haven't yet seen one that suggests it's in any way better than the PK550 or (even as good as) last year's model B550.

Here's a link to Cleveland Plasma where Chad B's reviews for 2010 TVs (including C550, PK550 and G20) are posted. I'd suggest folks go through it before making decisions.

https://clevelandplasma.com/store/2010_television_reviews

I have nothing against Samsung. A lot of the gadgets/devices at my home are from Samsung and there's a good chance I'll buy a Samsung TV as well. I just think, we should treat each TV on its merits, be prepared for surprises and not judge based on past experiences. Things change very fast in the world of electronics.

In the end, no matter what TV you buy, I hope it serves you well. :)

While Samsung Plasmas in general did get great reviews last year, I don't think it's right to assume that they'll be better than the LGs this year as well.

PK550 has got a fair number of reviews and they've all by and large been excellent (albeit PK750 hasn't got good reviews). Unfortunately, the reviews for the Samsung C550 are fewer (CNET, Cleveland Plasma) and I haven't yet seen one that suggests it's in any way better than the PK550 or (even as good as) last year's model B550.

Here's a link to Cleveland Plasma where Chad B's reviews for 2010 TVs (including C550, PK550 and G20) are posted. I'd suggest folks go through it before making decisions.

https://clevelandplasma.com/store/2010_television_reviews

I have nothing against Samsung. A lot of the gadgets/devices at my home are from Samsung and there's a good chance I'll buy a Samsung TV as well. I just think, we should treat each TV on its merits, be prepared for surprises and not judge based on past experiences. Things change very fast in the world of electronics.

In the end, no matter what TV you buy, I hope it serves you well. :)

I completely agree with what you have mentioned. Each TV does have to be judged on its own merits.

---Venkat

I have no buzzing sound from my samsung plasma. Dont even know what this thing is..

Get a side by side demo and compare the below.

1) Colour reproduction.

2009 LGs had a handicap in producing orange, yellow olours. See if it fixed. Samsung panels are 18 bit and are costly to make. They produce excellent colours.

2) Black levels.

Get a dark knight movie trailer and view it side by side. If you feel that blacks are not black enough, dump the set. Few people find greys are black enough. If you are one, you are mostly covered with pretty much any plasma. You can ignore this.

3) IR.

I dont know if these can be checked in shops, but switchoff the TV and check for any signs of the previously displayed screen being retained. Or better check with people in the forum who have made a purchase already.

4) Reflection.

See if the full screen glass affects your viewing.

If you made a decision based on the above last year, 4-5k is well worth it for samsung. 2010 models may vastly differ though.

This one line sums it all.

Do a demo yourself or wait for wide availability of the TVs and wait for reviews from experts.

Re: LG PK550 and PK550R - Same or different series?

Hi guys,

I have seen the LG 550R in chennai stores. Is LG PK 550 and LG PK 550R same?

is the same model that has been reviewed in UK?

Any owners, who can comment on product? setting etc.,?

thanks

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back