Looking for advice on everything! #1

kamalgaur

Hi,

Before I start, allow me to confess that I subscribe to the Maximization style (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximization_(psychology)),

unlike the Satisficing style (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satisficing) which probably would've led me to a far happier life ;)

That being said, I'm not an audiophile but I'd like to evolve into being one.

I want to build a home theater setup, and use it for regular things like -
1 - watching movies
2 - playing music during parties
3 - playing games on my ps3/ps4
4 - maybe having karaoke sessions (if I get microphones some day)

I'm currently in the throes of researching multiple things parallelly, and as you will see, there are a few open questions I still have -

#1 Does my audio equipment wattage need to be matched to room size?

My room size is 18' x 18' with 8.5' height. One L-shaped corner of the square room is open, i.e. doesn't have walls. The small part of the open L is 4 feet wide, and opens up into a passage, the other part of the open L is 10 feet wide and opens up into the dining hall.
Given this size of room, and the openness of it at one side, I need to know how loud is loud enough. I don't want to disturb the neighbours if I can help it, but I never want to feel that my setup isn't loud enough.

You have a challenging room. More power will get you loud, but quality loud can be an issue, If components are not carefully picked. Placement of speakers also will dictate how 'loud' they may get. Some room treatments are necessary to tame down rogue frequencies,
in a room like that.
What may your budget be? are you looking at Stereo or multi-speaker configuration?

The best advice i can give is be patient when it comes to swiping that card, as impulse
buying is always a danger. Try to audition as many systems you can.
Also if you can state what kind's of music you like to play 'loud' would help.

Thanks for responding, tuff.

To answer your Qs,
- I'm looking for a 7.1 receiver, and a 5.1 speaker setup.
- As for budget, I'm okay spending 1 lakh or beyond, but not okay spending more than 1.5 lakh.
- Yes, the patience has been there, but I'm beginning to feel a bit of frustration of not making headway in the real world (and only progress in online research).
- Types of content to be played, apart from movies/games, music would include rock/pop/alternative/classical music.

Also, just to give you a better visual idea, if I stand in the center of the room and face the screen/tv, the L-shaped open portion will be at Rear Left position. The Rear position will be 10' open, and the Left position will be 4' open.

Btw, what type of room treatments are you referring to?

Hi,

Since you are based in Bengaluru, go and audition the different systems available with dealers and see what appeals to you in performance, budget, connectivity etc...

Shortlist what you like and share with us, we can then further advise.

With the current dimensions of your room and shape, approx you need a system which would cover 400-600 sq ft area..

Basically satellite + sub or Bookshelf + sub should work just fine...

On Hifi ads there is a seller selling a Marantz slim avr NR1605 which is 7.1 which has wifi + bluetooth also...nice decent avr

He is also selling BIC America speakers with a good sub (5.1) which will do adequate justice for your room...has 5yrs + warranty..

Of course this is if you want to use preowned in good condition...later you can update accordingly as budget flows in..

Choice is yours...all the best...dont rush...

you need to start auditioning a few setups. to start off you can look at the wharfedale diamond series, kef q series, monitor audio bronze series for speakers. youre better off going with bookshelves in the front as well instead of floorstanders since you will be going with a sub. for amps you can look at yamaha, denon, marantz...

Shortlist what you like and share with us, we can then further advise.

With the current dimensions of your room and shape, approx you need a system which would cover 400-600 sq ft area..

Basically satellite + sub or Bookshelf + sub should work just fine...

On Hifi ads there is a seller selling a Marantz slim avr NR1605 which is 7.1 which has wifi + bluetooth also...nice decent avr

He is also selling BIC America speakers with a good sub (5.1) which will do adequate justice for your room...has 5yrs + warranty..

Of course this is if you want to use preowned in good condition...later you can update accordingly as budget flows in..

It's interesting that you're proposing bookshelfs/satellites along with the subwoofer, since I was under the impression that I *will* need floorstanding speakers due to the size of the room/space...

Also, thanks for the tip, but I was unable to find Marantz NR1605.
I could spot the Marantz 1506 for 50K (MRP 55K) and the Marantz 1606 for 58K (MRP 82K). I found a Marantz on HifiAds but that's based out of Bombay.

Also, found the Bic Speakers for 55K but those are also based out of Bombay.

I have a similar shaped room and it is challenging to have good sound. The typical challenge is that while sound effects in movies are fine, dialog tends to get muffled unless you are hearing loud, but then the effects tend to make it too loud.

Music I have found it easier esp. with floorstanders as the sound is simpler to manage.

Also, typical Living rooms have a lot of furniture which too absorb a lot of sound.

One simple suggestion is to have curtains that make the L shaped room into a rectangle when you watch movies.

I dont think satellites will cut in such a room, min. would be bookshelves. But if movies is the only concern you could start with them. If you dont like it, use them in a 7.1 system later, with bookshelves/floorstanders added.

Unfortunately, room is a big factor and any equipment cannot significantly alter that.

Unfortunately, room is a big factor and any equipment cannot significantly alter that

+ 1 but ofc.

Measure, treat, DSP maybe. that will work.

One simple suggestion is to have curtains that make the L shaped room into a rectangle when you watch movies.

This was something I tried early on in my experiments. I have previously reported that it did not make any difference in my set up. This was before I could measurements.

ciao
gr

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back