Looking to change subwoofer in my home cinema setup - Currently have a Yamaha SUB 100

MikeyB

Hi all, I would appreciate some input/advice on some possible good alternatives for replacing my existing subwoofer in my home cinema setup

Current Gear
Yamaha RXV-685 AV Receiver
Tannoy HTS-101 XP speakers (minus sub)
Yamaha SUB 100 wireless sub woofer

The reason for looking to replace the subwoofer is because with more bass heavy film soundtracks, it starts chuffing during some (not all) of the action scenes, and then starts to deliver a generally unpleasant film experience. having had this one for about two years, I'd say it's a sub that appears to handle music very well, so like a rich bass line in a soundtrack comes over really well, but when the sub needs to get really down and deep during a movie, say explosions etc, here is where it really starts to struggle. I'm not specifically looking for a real floor shaking experience, just something that can handle the deep lows without getting distorted or chuffing.

Now it could be specific to this sub, but I did recently recalibrate the audio and certainly for a while, that rich bass was present in the movies/programmes I was watching at the time, but it's never really handled to low registers very well.

I don't specifically need the replacement to also be wireless, and in fact since I replaced the original Tannoy sub that came with the speaker set, the Yamaha is sat next to the amp so in easy cable length.

I don't listen to a lot of music through the setup, so this is more from a movie perspective as I do like to watch a lot of films.

I'd say my budget is around £400 tops, and if possible they would need to do a white or lighter coloured model e.g., (matches the one I'm looking to replace)

I've tried not to get ahead of myself here, but things like the Cambridge Audio MINX X301 would appear to fit the bill, but I also appreciate around £400 there are a few options offering similar specs

Thanks in advance

For movies go for a bigger subwoofer. If possible place the subwoofer near to yourself so you can also feel the action. Do not go for a sub that is less then 12 inches
Single 12 inch driver can be better than double 8 inches

I think at this budget of £400 only 8" sub is possible.
check : Polk Audio,Kilpsch, KEF Kube-1 8 etc.

Hi all, I would appreciate some input/advice on some possible good alternatives for replacing my existing subwoofer in my home cinema setup

Current Gear
Yamaha RXV-685 AV Receiver
Tannoy HTS-101 XP speakers (minus sub)
Yamaha SUB 100 wireless sub woofer

The reason for looking to replace the subwoofer is because with more bass heavy film soundtracks, it starts chuffing during some (not all) of the action scenes, and then starts to deliver a generally unpleasant film experience. having had this one for about two years, I'd say it's a sub that appears to handle music very well, so like a rich bass line in a soundtrack comes over really well, but when the sub needs to get really down and deep during a movie, say explosions etc, here is where it really starts to struggle. I'm not specifically looking for a real floor shaking experience, just something that can handle the deep lows without getting distorted or chuffing.

Now it could be specific to this sub, but I did recently recalibrate the audio and certainly for a while, that rich bass was present in the movies/programmes I was watching at the time, but it's never really handled to low registers very well.

I don't specifically need the replacement to also be wireless, and in fact since I replaced the original Tannoy sub that came with the speaker set, the Yamaha is sat next to the amp so in easy cable length.

I don't listen to a lot of music through the setup, so this is more from a movie perspective as I do like to watch a lot of films.

I'd say my budget is around £400 tops, and if possible they would need to do a white or lighter coloured model e.g., (matches the one I'm looking to replace)

I've tried not to get ahead of myself here, but things like the Cambridge Audio MINX X301 would appear to fit the bill, but I also appreciate around £400 there are a few options offering similar specs

Thanks in advance
In your budget, the Q Acoustics QB12 has a 12 inch driver in a sealed cabinet and is an excellent choice for a mixed system catering to both movies and music. You can also have a look at the REL HT/1003 though it has a smaller 10" driver but will play faster and tighter.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back