Looks like Plasma burn-in still a problem after all

from the same link :
But despite the ever-decreasing concerns about burn-in there's one reason I will always pick a plasma over an LCD: Image quality. For the money nothing can beat a plasma for deep black levels, wide viewing angles, uniformity, and motion-blur-free gaming............PLASMA IS STILL KING!!! :)

wholeheartedly agree aakash...that was not the point of the post also...simply the fact that the dreaded burn-in is not gone, and one still needs to be careful when operating a Plasma that you don't leave static content on the screen..

Burn in is visible in plasma tv models which does not have a special coating, burn is not visible in LCD because the back lighting masks that effect.all displays have burn in, without pixels burning any display would not be able to display an image.

I myself notice retention on my Dell monitor, Philips CRT,Samsung OLED phone and both Panasonic and Samsung plasma.IMO retention is not an issue at all.

Last edited:
from the article:
The advice offered most often to sufferers of burn-in is to "watch 24 hours of static,"
If you can see the any thing that looks like IR, then before switching off you should switch to TV mode and keep the black white dots for about 20 seconds. I've done it a number of times and the IR goes away.

Burn in is visible in plasma tv models which does not have a special coating
Does this mean that there is burn in but you cannot see it because of coating? Won't that be bad for the TV in the long run?

Burn in is visible in plasma tv models which does not have a special coating, burn is not visible in LCD because the back lighting masks that effect.all displays have burn in, without pixels burning any display would not be able to display an image.

I myself notice retention on my Dell monitor, Philips CRT,Samsung OLED phone and both Panasonic and Samsung plasma.IMO retention is not an issue at all.

Well in CRTs burn-in visibility was much more of a problem than it ever was in Plasmas, so no wonder u see it, what I didn't know and just found is that OLED is also more susceptible to burn-in than plasma...so again u must be seeing that...But after reading this article I cannot agree its "not" an issue...burn-in gone would be misinformation, however the fact that it is not permanent and one needs to be slightly careful is a fact

Does this mean that there is burn in but you cannot see it because of coating? Won't that be bad for the TV in the long run?

Why should it be an issue? burn will happening and disappearing, for people who notice it might be a bit frustrating and for others it is zero issue.

.But after reading this article I cannot agree its "not" an issue...burn-in gone would be misinformation, however the fact that it is not permanent and one needs to be slightly careful is a fact

It is most definitely not an issue, any burn-in no matter how serious will fade away once other images are being displayed,you can also run single color slides for a period of time to make severe burn in disappear.

Being careful is always recommended specially with displays without back lighting where one can easily see burn in or retention.

Overall there is no display in the world expect for some projection system can escape burn in , all of them have-burn in or retention, some of them are visible and some are not.

I used to play Battlefied 3 on my PS51D550 everyday for 2 - 3 hours. I have observed a slight burn in on the lower half of the screen where the game HUD elements are placed. Static details like Gx1 (grenades)....after this stopped using my tv for gaming. however after normal tv viewing the burn in has reduced , only visible if one looks closely at that specific area of the screen.

wholeheartedly agree aakash...that was not the point of the post also...simply the fact that the dreaded burn-in is not gone, and one still needs to be careful when operating a Plasma that you don't leave static content on the screen..

I agree this may be a relevant issue and hopefully there will be a proper fix in the coming years ...............there are enough issues also with LED/LCD tv's. I feel this might send the wrong signal to all prospective plasma buyers, especially the one's who are not that tech savvy. And should they switch to LED/LCD only because of this, it would deprive them of the beautiful picture quality and black levels that plasma are renowned for.

We all have plasma tv's and have learnt to manage them. I prefer to look at the brighter side of them........the stunning and brilliant picture quality they give.

from the same link :
But despite the ever-decreasing concerns about burn-in there's one reason I will always pick a plasma over an LCD: Image quality. For the money nothing can beat a plasma for deep black levels, wide viewing angles, uniformity, and motion-blur-free gaming............PLASMA IS STILL KING!!! :)

Hehhe good That I have Samsung Plasma!! :D

I agree this may be a relevant issue and hopefully there will be a proper fix in the coming years ...............there are enough issues also with LED/LCD tv's.

Hi Aakash,
I have seen all your recent posts on detailing the benefits of Plasmas and no doubt, now I have suggested 2 of my friends to consider plasma as they are willing to buy new TVs.
However, I was not known to HiFiVision till March 2012 and all the research I did before buying a TV in January 2012 was all about comparing various models of LCD/LEDs. (I was aware of burning issues with Plasmas, hence never ever thought of buying a Plasma...because Apart from watching movies; I mostly watch Sports on Airtel HD DTH and they have a static logo)

Now I am interested in knowing the issues you just tried to mention about LCD/LEDs (or a detailed comparison in terms of Picture Quality etc.) Please ignore the price factor.

Plasma burn in only happens with stuff like dth logo which is constantly in the same place all the time when the tv is on !! Otherwise burn in is not at all a problem. Some temporary IR happens from time to time when you watch same channel for many hours or game for many hours continuously but that gets washed away in a few minutes and is barely visible.

All companies have increased the life of a panel to like 600k hours and there is no way a portion of the screen will lose its life early(Which is what happens in burn in) even with severe static images.

I have Samsung 51D550 plasma and use it for everything from movie, games, computer screen to hdtv etc and have not experienced any problem till date.

Note: The one precaution i took is to get Hathway HD which DOES NOT HAVE A LOGO and hence will not cause problem of having dth logo which is static image in same part of screen. Also i did around 150 hours break in after buying !!

Last edited:
Plasma burn in only happens with stuff like dth logo which is constantly in the same place all the time when the tv is on !! Otherwise burn in is not at all a problem. Some temporary IR happens from time to time when you watch same channel for many hours or game for many hours continuously but that gets washed away in a few minutes and is barely visible.

All companies have increased the life of a panel to like 600k hours and there is no way a portion of the screen will lose its life early(Which is what happens in burn in) even with severe static images.

I have Samsung 51D550 plasma and use it for everything from movie, games, computer screen to hdtv etc and have not experienced any problem till date.

Note: The one precaution i took is to get Hathway HD which DOES NOT HAVE A LOGO and hence will not cause problem of having dth logo which is static image in same part of screen. Also i did around 150 hours break in after buying !!

hey madhavk8,
Good to hear about your break in of 150 hrs... Well Co incidentally I have the same model of the Plasma and am currently using Tata Sky HD... so there is a problem of the logos.. but this is an issue only when my folks watch those Hindi Channels for about 2-3 hrs a day they happen to watch the same channel.. will it effect the screen ??I frequently watch other movies/Music vdos or anime using Ext HDD.. hoping you could help me out here,

Thanks for all the info

The temporary image residue is barely even noticeable man, dont bother about it. You can only notice it if you switch on the scrolling on burn-in menu on your tv which has white background, otherwise you will not even notice it...

It just washes off completely in a few minutes and does not cause any problem with picture quality. This kind of temporary image retention is common in all plasmas but does not cause any problems...

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back