LTA Berning Ultralinear amp coming soon

Amp design is more of a hobby for Berning. He has several patents though in amp design

This is what he does for a living

Yes Raghupb. All the comments that you read of members who had heard my 4343 had heard it with my old Berning

I was planning to get the LAMM but since that didn’t work out, decided on a Berning again

Yes Raghupb. All the comments that you read of members who had heard my 4343 had heard it with my old Berning

I was planning to get the LAMM but since that didn’t work out, decided on a Berning again
Ah then it is a continuation of the same design philosophy and hopefully sound signature.
Good for you.
Cheers,
Raghu

The design is slightly different.

My earlier one was a 10 watt class A push pull zero feedback ZOTL amp using 6b4g triodes.

The new one is a 20 watt class AB ultralinear ZOTL amp using TV sweep tubes.

Will be getting the 20 watt LTA Ultralinear amp designed by Berning soon. Previously I had a 10 watter from Berning
Excellent choice Prem. I was going to pick up a microzotl pre/ZOTL40 recently but dropped the idea as I wanted a bit more power, but I really liked what I heard. Will look forward to your impressions.
Cheers,
Sid

Hi onemanarmy, Atmasphere amps get very hot when playing. Also lots of tubes. Maintenance becomes an issue.

Berning amps don’t generate too much heat. Also their tubes need to be changed after about 10 years.

Hi fiftyfifty, mine is a 20 watt amp. The ZOTL 40 is a 46 watt amp. That I think should be able to drive your Spendors.

yogibear, it’s the 17JN6 tube. In the past too, he has used TV tubes in his designs. It is identical to the 6JN6 tube but heater characteristics are different

Last edited:
Hi fiftyfifty, mine is a 20 watt amp. The ZOTL 40 is a 46 watt amp. That I think should be able to drive your Spendors.
That should be able to drive most speakers, and would be an insurance against future speaker upgrades/changes. Even for you, Prem, the 40s will leave with enough headroom?

The ZOTL 40 and Ultralinear have different sound signature. The ZOTL 40 uses Mullard EL34 tubes which makes it more midrangey and punchier than the Ultralinear. I prefer a more neutral sound. The Ultralinear is more up my alley.

yogibear, it’s the 17JN6 tube. In the past too, he has used TV tubes in his designs. It is identical to the 6JN6 tube but heater characteristics are different
My current SET amp also use a TV tube 6FQ7 as driver tubes- used in the horizontal and vertical section of the CRT type TV. Has great pulse handling capabilities.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back