Luxman L503s

WildRain

Its available second hand. Is this a good model? plz suggest. I understand that this is ~15 years old. Would this be better than a brand new Marantz or Rotel with 3 yrs warranty?

Plz xcuse my ignorance with hifi:)

regards,
Anis

Wildrain, it would be fine, if this is going to be secondary system or something. Else getting a newer amp, even if used, would be better. Can you share the details of the rest of the system?

@iaudio, this is for the primary system.

Rest of the system:
Marantz ST6000 tuner
Marantz SACD player
and some philips speakers (not very keen on this) for about 1200 SGD. ~ INR 40K

As far as I have heard, these old Luxmans sound very good. But with a 15 year old amp, there s always chance of components which have reached the end of their life cycle.

Wildrain, it would be fine, if this is going to be secondary system or something. Else getting a newer amp, even if used, would be better. Can you share the details of the rest of the system?

I think it was Luxmans top of the line costing 3000 US$ ..so why good for only Secondary system?

Hemant, never meant that it is not good enough. Just that it might need maintenance and changing of components, so its fine if you have another amp to play your music, while you get this one worked on. I was not commenting on its sonic merit rather its age and reliability.

@All Thanks All for replies.

1200 SGD looks like a bit too steep for this gear.
I'm only keen on the AMP & the Tuner. I'd rather by a new CDP and speakers.

Any thoughts?

Hemant, never meant that it is not good enough. Just that it might need maintenance and changing of components, so its fine if you have another amp to play your music, while you get this one worked on. I was not commenting on its sonic merit rather its age and reliability.

unless checking exactly what type of amp it is i feel it is injustice.
There is huge market for used amps and sometimes people buy 25+ year old amps which runs for years ..

a lot of sot after sansuis are 25+ year old...ditto about techniucs

As the amp was in top end of reputed manufacturer the componants usewd should be top notch..

i've arranged to pickup the gear for SGD 850 after negotiations. Since its a colleague of mine, there's some assurance for the gear wont go bad so soon, hence i didn't want to offer a scrap-level price for it, and anyway, i was planning to spend on new gear.

BTW, Luxman is supposed to have a laid-back sound and very good perspective and soundstage. What kind of speakers can match the laid-back sound? The SACD player and tuner are marantz.

I was having Dynaudio DM2/7 & BW 685 in mind. Any suggestions?

What kind of speakers can match the laid-back sound? The SACD player and tuner are marantz.

I was having Dynaudio DM2/7 & BW 685 in mind. Any suggestions?

If i am not wrong, it is an 65W per channel amp. I have heard Luxman (60 WPC) amps paired with Tannoys quite often (vintage speakers) and was very pleased with the sound (in fact one of the best i have heard with whatever little exposure i had to various gear till now), even with the KEF's (one i heard was a sealed enclosure) they sound quite musical and never had to increase the volume beyond 10 O'clock in a 250 Sq. ft. room size. I would recommend buying good used speakers like Tannoy, KEF or likes of Rank Arena, if you can get hold of them to team up with this lovely & highly musical amp. I am not much of a expert and the above info. is based on my little experience with the above said gear, so let the experts chip in as well to share their views. I do not have experinece with the Dynaudio or B&W though.
Regards.

You're right Sachin. Its quite powerful. I never had to go beyond 8 o clk for normal listening (9-o-clk when the better half is gone out) :). Could not dare to go beyond 10 o clock. I'm using my Denon DM-37's speakers and still i

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back