Marant SR 6008 grounding issue, HELP Plz !

stanjohn123

I am having a very strange problem with my SR 6008 all of a sudden. My wall sockets grounding is perfect as I do not have any grounding issue when I connect my TV to that socket. However if I connect my SR 6008 AVR to that same socket, my AVR gets grounding issue. I know this because, once my AVR is powered, if I place a tester on exterior screws of the AVR, there is power/current on it. Also when I tested all the speakers output, there is power coming out from both +ve and -ve (Black/Red) outputs as a result if I try to play some music there is too much static noise along with music.

The AVR's power cable is fine as I tested it too and there is phase / power coming out only from 1 phase side, no power comes out from the cables ground or neutral side.

I have attached photos of the problem so you can best understand the issue.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how I can solve it.

Attachments

• IMG-2534.JPG
    IMG-2534.JPG
    576.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG-2537.JPG
    IMG-2537.JPG
    644.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG-2538.JPG
    IMG-2538.JPG
    699.9 KB · Views: 41
This looks serious as tester can pick AC current.Do not turn on AVR if ac current is passing through chasis.Consult service person.

I have the same problem with my Marantz 6013. Been using it since a Year. I got the Earthing checked with the electrician, its all okay and i still dont know the issue.
The Soundstage is fine, there is no problems in that.

Check removing the inputs .Hdmi and RCA inputs .
Some cases there is possibilities where your external signal carries the leakage current.
Now a days there is no earth points in most of the AVR as 3 pin power socket has only 2 male pin available.

Remove the hdmi cable between tv and avr and check again...

Most of the tv and avr dosent have ground connection, even though they have 3 pin plug. You can verify it by looking at the IEC socket on your avr. If it has only 2 metal pins, it is not grounded.

For grounding, you can consider joining a bare copper wire from your avr (any one screw as suggested above) to any equipment (on its outer body by using blue tac) which you are sure has ground connection.

just remove one screw connect a wire and tight the screw and ground the wire separately

This is one good option. But if you have kids around then the grounding wire might pose some risk.

There is a wire inside that connects the chasis to the ground pole of the input socket. I suspect that this wire has come loose. If you can open the cover and check and connect it back, then the problem should be solved

Remove the hdmi cable between tv and avr and check again...

Most of the tv and avr dosent have ground connection, even though they have 3 pin plug. You can verify it by looking at the IEC socket on your avr. If it has only 2 metal pins, it is not grounded.

For grounding, you can consider joining a bare copper wire from your avr (any one screw as suggested above) to any equipment (on its outer body by using blue tac) which you are sure has ground connection.

This is a valid answer. But I would hazard a guess, that any loose voltage coming from connected equipment, should go back to the ground terminal, if the internal grounding wire to the terminal inside the AVR is connected. I suspect that this wire has come off somehow :)

This is a valid answer. But I would hazard a guess, that any loose voltage coming from connected equipment, should go back to the ground terminal, if the internal grounding wire to the terminal inside the AVR is connected. I suspect that this wire has come off somehow :)
That is true, if the avr has ground connection.
Modern avr skip the ground connection.
Last 3 avr/prepro i purchased, had no ground connection. This is my understanding, but would be happy to be proved otherwise.
:) :)

just remove one screw connect a wire and tight the screw and ground the wire separately
I tried this just now and the ground became normal on the chassis. No current passed through the exterior.

But my initial problem of static noise through the speakers still persist while playing any audio through it. So something is definitely wrong in my AVR.

Check removing the inputs .Hdmi and RCA inputs .
Some cases there is possibilities where your external signal carries the leakage current.
Now a days there is no earth points in most of the AVR as 3 pin power socket has only 2 male pin available.

I tried the tester without having anything connected except the power cable to the AVR. The ground issue is definitely caused by the AVR not from power socket or any other equipment.

A TV is an ungrounded device and uses two-pin power plug.

An AVR ought to be a grounded device. Check if the power inlet socket of the AVR has two pins or three. Three means it's a grounded device.

Using the same screw driver tester, check if you're getting a glow on the right lower hole (live wire) of your wall power outlet. Left lower should not glow. To check if your voltages are okay from the wall socket, you'll need a multi meter.

There is clearly current leaking into the chassis, so your AVR is unsafe. Better not use it in the interim. Check your wall outlet as mentioned above, and if it is okay, you'll need to take your AVR to a service centre. It could be a live power wire shorting on to the chassis.

A TV is an ungrounded device and uses two-pin power plug.

An AVR ought to be a grounded device. Check if the power inlet socket of the AVR has two pins or three. Three means it's a grounded device.

Using the same screw driver tester, check if you're getting a glow on the right lower hole (live wire) of your wall power outlet. Left lower should not glow. To check if your voltages are okay from the wall socket, you'll need a multi meter.

There is clearly current leaking into the chassis, so your AVR is unsafe. Better not use it in the interim. Check your wall outlet as mentioned above, and if it is okay, you'll need to take your AVR to a service centre. It could be a live power wire shorting on to the chassis.
All the new AVRs have only 2 pin, no ground pin, this is the case with Marantz AVRs.

There is no issue with the wall socket because my TV has no earthing issue when connected to the same socket.

Even the power cable is ok because phase comes only on 1 side, neutral side no current passes.

I am having a very strange problem with my SR 6008 all of a sudden. My wall sockets grounding is perfect as I do not have any grounding issue when I connect my TV to that socket. However if I connect my SR 6008 AVR to that same socket, my AVR gets grounding issue. I know this because, once my AVR is powered, if I place a tester on exterior screws of the AVR, there is power/current on it. Also when I tested all the speakers output, there is power coming out from both +ve and -ve (Black/Red) outputs as a result if I try to play some music there is too much static noise along with music.

The AVR's power cable is fine as I tested it too and there is phase / power coming out only from 1 phase side, no power comes out from the cables ground or neutral side.

I have attached photos of the problem so you can best understand the issue.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how I can solve it.
The easiest solution I found was to connect a separate ground wire to the body of the AVR. All the electronic equipment do not know what ground is as they are 2 wire devices. You can "tell it to them by connecting a ground wire" to the AVR and it will spread to all components through HDMI ports.

Hi
I had the similar problem with my old Denon AVR 2400, i tried grounding properly but the problem persists though the root cause is not known , rle electricians said it could be the voltage between neutral and earth ideally it should be less than 1 volt , but many Indian homes are not bothered about this. Finally i grounded the AVR by connecting FM cable gIven with the AVR to earth socket of the plug top and connected to the power, this resolved the issue.

Try searching for "acceptable earth to neutral voltage india" you will get lot if info.
Cheers

Pl. disconnect all the wires from AVR and check. This will rule out any peripheral device causing problem.

If problem still exist, take it to service center and ask them to check main transformer and SMPS power supply for the leakage.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back