Marantz SR301 - Standby mode

VSTEREO

Hi All,

This is my first thread so please excuse me if my questions is incomplete.

My brother recently given his Marantz SR301 5.1 AV receiver to me as it is not in working condition. While powering on, display pops for a second and the system goes standby(standby light blinks). I taught it could be either a problem with power supply or blown output transistors so checked inside the receiver but no physical damage or an evidence for a burn out. But solder on output transistors doesn't look to be an authentic 'Company finish' so I suspect this amp was already serviced for some reasons. Receiver has got 10 transistor; Sanken made D2390/B1560. Please note, all 10 transistors has got some amateur solder work.

I have come this far with my very limited knowledge on electronics & AV receivers and I need your help to move forward to make this AV work. I am a big fan of Marantz sound so have no mind to keep this receiver in this pathetic state. I would be happy to make this AV work at least with Front Left and Front Right (Stereo mode).

Hi All,

This is my first thread so please excuse me if my questions is incomplete.

My brother recently given his Marantz SR301 5.1 AV receiver to me as it is not in working condition. While powering on, display pops for a second and the system goes standby(standby light blinks). I taught it could be either a problem with power supply or blown output transistors so checked inside the receiver but no physical damage or an evidence for a burn out. But solder on output transistors doesn't look to be an authentic 'Company finish' so I suspect this amp was already serviced for some reasons. Receiver has got 10 transistor; Sanken made D2390/B1560. Please note, all 10 transistors has got some amateur solder work.

I have come this far with my very limited knowledge on electronics & AV receivers and I need your help to move forward to make this AV work. I am a big fan of Marantz sound so have no mind to keep this receiver in this pathetic state. I would be happy to make this AV work at least with Front Left and Front Right (Stereo mode).

With limited knowledge you could do more harm. Take it to a trusted technician and get it repaired.

Hi

I would agree with "MASH' take it to a good repairer who knows his job and not cheat you...this is an old model so getting parts may be slightly challenging...

Thanks guys. I agree and I will take it to a repair shop.

Meanwhile, is this model so unpopular ? Because, most of the Marantz official regional sites (US, UK and Asia) doesn't show this model in their 'archive' lists and only the QualiFi Australia (looks to be an authorized dealer) lists this model. I am looking to download the User guide but no luck so far. Can you please help?

Gents,

I taught of sharing few updates. Taken the receiver to the service guy located in Alandur (got his number through Marantz dealer) and just by looking into the receiver (i guess he had taken a look at AMP board) he said it would require minimum 7K for repair. While asked 'what-went-wrong' he was reluctant to answer. He also offered RS 2500 for this receiver if I am willing to purchase AV gear from the shop which he has some tie-up but his attitude pushed me to come out of the shop. Lesson learnt "Not all Service guys love their customer asking technical details (even very basic question)".

After a comprehensive search, I have managed to receive the Service manual for this model so I will first check if the parts matches with the manual to ensure the 'originality' of the receiver before taking to Sayeed (Philips Arena).

Did any of the Marantz owner have successfully repaired their gear in Chennai ? If yes, could you please share the service center details?

Sorry guys, things are moving slow from my end..

I have opened the lid last week to see if there is anything glaring on transistors part; shockingly found one of the transistor's leg is missing completely:sad: (see attached). This is the small transistor sitting between D2390 & B1560 and not sure the purpose of it. FYI, this faulty one belongs to surround left channel.

Experts - As my intention is to make this receiver work for stereo, is it possible to bypass this channel? so that we can bring life to other channel.

Please note: I am not going to repair this unit and it will go to service center anytime this month but just curious to learn the electronics behind the receiver and I hope experts are eager to help me.

Thanks,
V

Last edited:
Sorry guys, things are moving slow from my end..

I have opened the lid last week to see if there is anything glaring on transistors part; shockingly found one of the transistor's leg is missing completely:sad: (see attached). This is the small transistor sitting between D2390 & B1560 and not sure the purpose of it. FYI, this faulty one belongs to surround left channel.

Experts - As my intention is to make this receiver work for stereo, is it possible to bypass this channel? so that we can bring life to other channel.

Please note: I am not going to repair this unit and it will go to service center anytime this month but just curious to learn the electronics behind the receiver and I hope experts are eager to help me.

Thanks,
V

Tons of cons out there. I am sure fellow Chennai members would be able to guide you to a trusted service center.

However, I am doubtful of cutting out the rear channels. The receiver must be doing an integrity sweep on startup and the moment it encounters an problem it shuts down to avoid further damage. Now, this sweep would be part of the sofware in the ROM. I am not sure if that can be altered. Would be interesting to see if that is possible.

My suggestion would be to take it to the service center and get it repaired to its original form. Its a built as a receiver and would be best suited for that purpose.

:thumbsup:
MaSh

Thanks Mash.

This "integrity sweep on startup" is something new to me and this is what i love about this forum. "Lot of scope to learn".

If fixing this channel is cost effective, I would certainly do that otherwise I would ask a service engineer to bypass (or cut) this channel if technically feasible. It looks, we can bypass any channels of the receiver and system will turn-on; Few posts on Diyaudio speaks about it.

I have got the service manual of this receiver so it should be helpful for a service person to decide what best can be done.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back