Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus Preamp DAC

Have heard the D1 & D2 DAC's & they are really VFM. Have heard both with the GE tube upgrade though.

:)

The Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus Preamplifier DAC seems to come in three configurations

TubeMagic D1 Plus DAC for $209
TubeMagic D1 Plus DAC w/ GE5670W Tube for $229
TubeMagic D1 Plus DAC w/ OPA627 OpAmp & GE5670W Tube for $254

The Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus Preamplifier DAC seems to come in three configurations

TubeMagic D1 Plus DAC for $209
TubeMagic D1 Plus DAC w/ GE5670W Tube for $229
TubeMagic D1 Plus DAC w/ OPA627 OpAmp & GE5670W Tube for $254

You can buy it from pristine note.

D2 sounds better than D1.There is no option to shut tubes off if you are not using it.

I recently purchased the Tube Magic DAC 2. This is my second DAC; I needed an additional DAC for an audio/visual set up in my home office.

I am currently using a Cambridge Audio DacMagic in my main listening room. The plan, audition both DACs, the winner stays in the main room the loser to the office.

Equipment:

Front LR - Vintage KEF reference model one speakers. Where the Reference excels, other than a neutral balance, is the vast headroom they have, with the right amplification of course. Their ability to remain sounding the same at louder volumes and still have the same dynamic capabilities is almost second to none at the price point. I've never bottomed out a pair of Reference.

Center JBL LC2

Sub Orb audio Super 8

Surrounds Orb Audio Mod 4s

Cable Audio Quest Topaz

MARANTZ AV Surround Receiver SR6005

MACBOOK PRO with 1TB Lacie external HD. 800GB of music ripped from CDs played back in Apple LossLess format.

Album used for the Audition: Cowboy Junkies The Trinity Session, why I choose this - the band wanted to record live with one stereo microphone direct to tape. Peter Moore was enlisted and suggested the Church of the Holy Trinity in Toronto for its natural reverb. To better persuade the officials of the historic church, the band claimed to be The Timmins Family Singers and said they were recording a Christmas special for radio. The session began on the morning of November 27, 1987. The group first recorded the songs with the fewest instruments and then the songs with gradually more complex arrangements. In this way Moore and the band were able to solve acoustic problems one by one. To better balance Margo Timmins's vocals against the electric guitars and drums, she was recorded through a PA system that had been left behind by a previous group. By making subtle changes in volume and placement relative to the microphone over six hours, Moore and the band had finally reached the distinctive sound of the album by the time the last of the guest musicians arrived at the church. I listened in direct mode and 5-channel stereo

I originally listened to this album in 1988 using an Audible Illusion tube preamp with a 200 watt per channel B&K power amp, turntable and Kef speakers. My goal, how close could I get to that sound with the above equipment?

I have been using the DacMagic for over two years it cost approximately $400.00. There was definitely an improvement in sound coherency vs. running the MAC to the MARANTZ without a DAC.

I hooked up the Tube Magic to the USB port and the tube outputs. I heard a significant difference in my ears. There was better imaging. Imaging wasn't super sharp but it did not sound- artificially defined. The overall soundstage and placement of audio within the stage was improved. The sound appeared to be coming from one big speaker not directional. I really liked the tube output, like chocolate syrup flowing over vanilla ice cream. Smooth, warm and very easy to listen to.

The winner in Tube Magic DAC 2

Junior

Cowboy Junkies 'The Trinity Sessions' is one of the best discs to test a system.

How does the tube-magic DAC compare with any other DACs in similar of higher price tag ?

Anyone else here listened to the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D2? I am thinking of getting one with the GE tube upgrade as well as the OPA627 upgrade (which is why I am on the hunt for a CD transport, elsewhere on these forums). I would like to hear other FMs experiences with this DAC and how they would compare it to the various other DACs/sources on the market. THanks in advance.

Anyone else here listened to the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D2? I am thinking of getting one with the GE tube upgrade as well as the OPA627 upgrade (which is why I am on the hunt for a CD transport, elsewhere on these forums). I would like to hear other FMs experiences with this DAC and how they would compare it to the various other DACs/sources on the market. THanks in advance.

I have a Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC w/ OPA627 OpAmp Upgrade & GE5670W tube
I am not an audiophile nor is my hearing good enough to describe the sound.
However I find that the sound is similar to DAC Magic which I was using before I gave it to my daughter. Also I can not make out any difference when the output is taken through the tube. Below is the responses in quotes from Ryan to my queries.

a) "You need a pre-amp to drive a power amp properly"

b)"D2 does not come with a volume control. The idea is to bypass the volume control to further enhance the sound quality. You will either to adjust the volume in the audio source or you need a pre-amp before the power amp.

The tube pre-out is just the analog signal from the analog output going through an additional tube buffer stage (to add some tube flavor to the audio signal). The specification of the two outputs are exactly same. The audio output voltage is around 2V.

D2 uses a better D/A chip, and we put better components into D2 as well. The production cost of the D2 is much higher than the D1, and D2 does offer better sound quality (the sound of D2 is more 3-dimensional and with more detail)."

I guess that will give you some indication.
Also check what bit rates are supported-- I think the higher bit rates are not supported.
Overall I am satisfied

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back