Meridian to bring out a new high-quality lossless music encoding method

hydra

Meridian Presents MQA (Somewhat sketchy on details)

More information: Meridians MQA promises studio-quality music in streamable file sizes | Stuff

Something from the above article that put my mind at ease:

Perhaps most compelling of all is that MQA can be delivered inside existing lossless container file types such as ALAC (Apple Lossless), FLAC and WAV, and is streamed as PCM, just like the data on a CD. Meridian says it can be decoded by something as simple as a mobile app, but also that itll play (albeit in lesser CD quality) on devices that dont have any means of decoding it too. Your in-car CD player, for example: MQA-encoded discs are eminently possible.

Kinda sorta review of the new format-within-existing-containers: Robert Harley Listens to Meridian MQA | The Absolute Sound

As long as it won't be a proprietary thing, I guess progress is progress.

another one ??
That was my reaction exactly, the first time I saw the news!

Everyone wants in in on the high quality digital music sales pie! And they don't want others to share. So they make things proprietary.

In this case, at least, it looks like a fairly open setup. This would probably like the many formats (and varying qualities) CDs are available in: More or less playable universally.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back