Metal Cassettes

jayants

Laid my hands on few sealed Metal Sony cassettes.I am of the impression that the recording and outpit one gets in a Metal cassette is miles ahead than Chrome or any other tape.

Others please share your experience if any of using Metal cassettes.

Attachments

• 2014-03-13-1852.jpg
    2014-03-13-1852.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 111
I do not have experience with metal tapes but my favourite brand has always been the TDK D60

36818333_2_644x461_tdk-d60-eredeti-tipusu-kazetta-uj-allapotban-elado-tolts-fel-fenykepeket.jpg

recently I bought a pack of 5 Maxell UE60 tapes. They are pretty good but not as good as the TDK. Also the cassette housing had a low quality feel to it, and was apparently made in Indonesia

Maxell-UE-60-Audio-kaseta_slika_O_3037814.jpg

while growing up, this used to be my favourite brand:

Sony_CHF_60_071130.jpg

but we also had a good collection of the reds and greens:

__072.jpg

mz6ZDO_hG1KPeCKev9vRVLw.jpg

we also used Philips and the old TDK

5857643983_a2da9a80d8_m.jpg

Tdkc60cassette.jpg

$_35.JPG

the Philips tapes shells used to be quite unreliable and tended to get warped, causing these tapes to jam a lot.

Reuben, I had a Philips cassette, like the blue one you have posted, but with red dots instead. It's been pretty sturdy, except for the tape itself which was ruined by a bad plunger wheel.
The sony C 60's, though they sound dull, have been very reliable. all those tapes still work perfectly.
However the best sound I've heard is the sony FeCr 60 which I was lucky to get some from FM Rajiv. They are above and beyond any cassette I've ever heard. The maxell XL2 chrome have better high end, but the FeCr tapes have much better lows - and I'm a basshead, so you know which side I'm gonna favour.

Metal tapes were much more expensive, so were rarely used

Reuben,

I had see and used all the cassette which you have posted, which were my Dad's collection.The post had taken me to my school days :).

Recording fav music in cassettes are really blissfull experience,which cannot be felt in the digital media.Giving cassette for recording and reaching out the Studio daily basis always been FUN.

My in childhood ambition was to run a recording studio ,But Digital media vanished the dream:)

Metal Tapes were Very Good.... You could record High Frequency info at Much higher levels without tape saturation. Dont forget to set the Tape EQ on Crome position on yr Cassette Recorder, while recording.

Ofcourse, a blanck CDR ( Rs 7) far outperforms a metal tape, today ....

Ofcourse, a blanck CDR ( Rs 7) far outperforms a metal tape, today ....

Hahaha. Good one. And so true.

But I still cling to my cassettes - they are boxed and neatly put away. I haven't listened to even one cassettte in years. Even the tape deck is stored away. As is the FM tuner.

^^ please give them some exercise now and then. Else the rubber bits deteriorate, and the mechanism seems to get stuck

Thanks for the advice. The problem is lack of space to stack too many sources. My current sources are two TTs and one CDP. A music PC is also kept nearby but rarely gets used.

Reuben,

I had see and used all the cassette which you have posted, which were my Dad's collection.The post had taken me to my school days :).

Recording fav music in cassettes are really blissfull experience,which cannot be felt in the digital media.Giving cassette for recording and reaching out the Studio daily basis always been FUN.

My in childhood ambition was to run a recording studio ,But Digital media vanished the dream:)

i agree 100%, it was truly a fantastic experience, recording from any source. As a school boy, i used to keep cassettes loaded in my tape recorder and record almost anything i liked, from the radio, from Doordarshan, from friend's tapes, from dad's record collection and what not.

Recording compilations were even more fun. It was thrilling to play back a compilation after recording it.

As a school boy, I was lucky to own a Grundig CR485 cassette recorder. It was a very high quality recorder and could match and stereo deck even though it recorded in Mono. It even had an inbuilt phonostage for ceramic cartridges.

cr485.jpg
[/IMG]

Hi
I had a Sony Metal Cassette, purchased in Kolkata for Rs 120 during 1986, used to play with Cosmic K 8 deck, K-8 died 10 years ago :sad: and all cassettes including Metal, Chrome, Ferri Chrome and Sony, TDK , T Series, HMV were sold to Kabadiwala last year :sad:

My Lab3000 amplifier and Covox 7000 still working :yahoo:, play with a CD/ DVD/Mobile.
Thanks
cosmic

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back