Mi TV 4 55 - SPDIF Connector difference from Sony?

Games Goblin

Hi all

I recently bought an Mi TV 4 55 from flipkart to replace my venerable Sony Bravia KDL-40NX650 which is now over 7 years old (running strong, but has developed some problems which I have documented here)

I tried to connect the mi tv to my soundbar (Q Acoustics Media 4) via S/PDIF, but was not able to do so. The port marked as S/PDIF in the Mi TV is different from the one in my Sony TV

The connectors of the cable I am using to connect my soundbar to my sony tv looks like this

haYVjUD.jpg

But the S/PDIF port of the Mi TV looks like this:

WYmZcmc.jpg

Can you please advise me which cable I should get for connecting my soundbar?

Thanks

It's a coaxial digital out, Sony one is optical. You need to buy Coax cable for this. Hope your soundbar has coax in.

Last edited:
Why don't you try RCA to RCA first? The red and white cables. If the sound satisfies you then fine.

I am surprised the soundbar does not have HDMI or Toslink connectivity options.

Why don't you try RCA to RCA first? The red and white cables. If the sound satisfies you then fine.

Hi avgeek

thank you for taking the time to reply.

If I use TV RCA to Soundbar RCA, will signal quality be same as that when using optical input to the soundbar?

I am surprised the soundbar does not have HDMI or Toslink connectivity options.

I thought the soundbar uses toslink cable to connect via optical port (the cable whose picture I have shared in opening post, which I was using to connect to my sony TV).

I think HDMI ARC connectivity not there because this is older model. I think the followup model - Q Acoustics M3 had HDMI ARC

Regards

Hello,

A little off topic, but I would be interested to know if the Mi TV outputs volume controlled (using either TV remote or Source remote) audio through SPDIF.
Thanks in advance!!

Regards,

Ravindra.

Hi avgeek

thank you for taking the time to reply.

If I use TV RCA to Soundbar RCA, will signal quality be same as that when using optical input to the soundbar?

Yes, to some extent, but mostly it will depend on the quality of the DAC in the TV and soundbar.

I think HDMI ARC connectivity not there because this is older model. I think the followup model - Q Acoustics M3 had HDMI ARC

HDMI is a forced upgrade marketing approach, the cycle will keep repeating.

Hello,

A little off topic, but I would be interested to know if the Mi TV outputs volume controlled (using either TV remote or Source remote) audio through SPDIF.
Thanks in advance!!

Regards,

Ravindra.
I just got a Mi TV in the recent sale, should be able to test in a week. I personally plan to use Logitech or Broadlink with Alexa.

I recently bought a VU TV and I've the same issue.
My TV has a Coaxial unit whereas my soundbar (Blaupunkt) has an optical input.
My soundbar supports HDMI ARC but TV doesn't.
I think the only way is to buy a coaxial input, converter for coaxial to optical, a optical input and connect everything.
Has anyone done this or any other way to make this work?

My soundbar doesn't have 3.5mm RCA.

@Games Goblin Quite late to reply but I can see that your sound bar supports bluetooth input. This TV supports direct Audio out via bluetooth. You don't even need any cables. However the TV probably has a bug that leads to bluetooth audio delay on some speakers.. you can try yours.
RCA is not an option as the ports are only for RCA input to the TV. Alternatively you can but a Optical Coax to Analogue converted and connect to your speaker via RCA or the 3.5 inch input.

MI TV4 55 supports bluetooth audio out. If your soundbar/ external speakers support BT connectivity, this option should be good enough. Obviously, you cannot control the volume through the TV remote then.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back