More Music that you have than you have heard -TSUNDOKU ?

arj

Staff member
I am guilty of the 80-20 rule ie 80% of the music I have i may have heard only 2, 1 or 0 times !

But came about an article on books...while I do have books only 10%may not have been read at all. The Japanese call it TSUNDOKU rather "“All those books you haven’t read are indeed a sign of your ignorance. But if you know how ignorant you are, you’re way ahead of the vast majority of other people,”

Perhaps true for Music as well ?

When it comes to music, it is usually the music collectors and hobbyists ( audiophiles etc) who tend to think this way. A mainstream music lover knows intuitively what music they like and just listens to that. That music just sits on their mobile phone or in their playlist. They frankly don't care about other music although they may respect other people's choice to listen to other types of music.

Hobbyists on the other hand tend to be collectors. So, they collect a lot of music but the natural human tendency to only listen to what you like takes over and you land up only listening to a small percentage of that music. I think that is okay and natural. Nothing to worry about!

Most of the time I listen to a playlist of about a 100 songs, so I don't have this problem. I do have a lot more music on my PC but it just sits there from a bygone age. I do have a few more playlists that I listen to occasionally and while I am not sure I guess these total another 1000 songs.

Many people do have a tendency to hoard, whether digital or real, and I am no exception. I just don't hoard digital music. I used to, but not anymore.

With virtual digital ( as in not CDs) its so easy to hoard .

I was referring to physical mediums like LPs and CDs than the FLac/Wavs I have but considering i hardly listen to them it does not matter. When I do I use spotify , its on my earphone wile walking /car audio.

I have some CDs from the era before downloads, most of these are still sealed. Never really got that much into hoarding CDs or other physical media. As for spotify, I have never liked streaming or internet radio, I am particular about what I listen to, in general I don't like random music, even if artificial intelligence is trying it's best these days to learn what type of music I like and stream that. It usually doesn't do a good job. Pandora was the best in choosing music I actually liked based on what I played, still didn't prefer it. I like to choose what I want to listen to.

Apparently half of all the music available today was created since 2020.
It’s also a problem of too much and too many choices. Time after all is not a renewable resource.
Since I discovered streaming and its convenience I have hardly played my CDs and music stored on my hard drive.
Over time my preference of music and genere has also changed.

I have some CDs from the era before downloads, most of these are still sealed. Never really got that much into hoarding CDs or other physical media. As for spotify, I have never liked streaming or internet radio, I am particular about what I listen to, in general I don't like random music, even if artificial intelligence is trying it's best these days to learn what type of music I like and stream that. It usually doesn't do a good job. Pandora was the best in choosing music I actually liked based on what I played, still didn't prefer it. I like to choose what I want to listen to.
I remember Pandora, it had a good algorithm. i do have rips carefully ripped from my CDs as well as some purchased and downloaded FLACs/Wavs...but prefer the CD/LP in terms of music quality despite the inconvenience. unless i want the convenience but then give up on quality and then spotify is pretty good..untill it lost the hindi music due to the Spotify-Zee Music issue.
Apparently half of all the music available today was created since 2020.
It’s also a problem of too much and too many choices. Time after all is not a renewable resource.
Since I discovered streaming and its convenience I have hardly played my CDs and music stored on my hard drive.
Over time my preference of music and genere has also changed.

at this moment am still listening to unheard but discovered music :). Yes Internet Streaming is a fantastic way of discovering new music and one can choose to buy only that which one really wants on a physical medium

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back