Music, money and mind matters

Have been reading diyAudio threads where I found this.

pix3a.gif

so ...

If one believes and in my humble opinion it is true that science by its own nature is progressive it doesn't makes sense that we are going back to tubes and 1% distortion. So the same basic aspects will also be in "We agree to disagree" area where most of the companies will take advantage of 'personal taste'. Subjective High Fidelity is or will be a niche hobby.
Regards

Respected Sir,

Excellent 'googling' & CCP [cut copy & paste] work !!

Your facts are 100 % spot on.
Do keep up the great work !! :licklips:

Mahler Chamber Orchestra
Tue 24th January 2012 | 07:00 PM To Tue 24th January 2012 | 07:00 PM
Western Classical Music Concert
An NCPA presentation
Do go !

Thanks. I did browse NCPA site on the same day you recommended it.
Is anybody else joining? I really wish someone else is also with me.

And unfortunately, in the booking website this event (Mahler Chamber) is not seen :sad:

If one believes and in my humble opinion it is true that science by its own nature is progressive it doesn't makes sense that we are going back to tubes and 1% distortion. So

Science is progressive. I agree.

Have we understood all aspects of the audio science ? I doubt !

Does it make sense to go back to Tubes ? Maybe. for some folks ! There are many who use tubes after trying out extremely esoteric SS designs.

There is a gentleman on this forum who went back to tubes after using an extremely expensive Gryphon amp.

The same gentleman may come back to SS at some point if he is with some other combination of gear.

There are no clear answers ! The question is about the designs ability to create music in a certain situation / combination. It can be made of mud or brick. Doesnt matter.

Last edited:
Does it make sense to go back to Tubes ? Maybe. for some folks ! There are many who use tubes after trying out extremely esoteric SS designs.

There is a gentleman on this forum who went back to tubes after using an extremely expensive Gryphon amp.

The same gentleman may come back to SS at some point if he is with some other combination of gear.

There are no clear answers ! The question is about the designs ability to create music in a certain situation / combination. It can be made of mud or brick. Doesnt matter.

Sir,

That is me;
I had the GAD - pre & power.
It is for sale - 40K Euro List - going as a set for 650/- K [Rs]

Yes, I moved from GAD to CC - since the CC was 'better' to my 'ears' [tin i.e.] !!

Now, I like the Viola Labs [SS] more - maybe - not sure - but I may consider a switch - some day !!

100 % right - it is about the designer's ability !!
Performance is all it is about - to me at least !!
I do not care what he has used - how he has made it ? It is just about how it performs & that is all that matters to me !!

Small world, I knew someone on this forum would have tried them. And I was getting a feeling it might be 'you' :lol:

As much as I would love to explore the option, I will need to see how big a hole the whole thing will burn in my pocket. Lots of commitments here and very limited money for this hobby. But indeed thanks for this lead. I trust you are one PM away when I am ready for this :clapping:

PS: My default subscription to threads is off, so that I don't get bombarded by notification email. That means I don't get to know unless I find a thread on the top page upon return.

PPS: I would love to speak to this gentleman and you sometime in any case, not necessarily for purchase. Thanks for the lead.

Sir,
I can offer some help;
There is a GAD that I sold to someone in Pune - 2 years back - up for sale.
Pre & Power - both will go as a set - Suggested Retail is 25/- K [Power] & 15/- K [Pre] = 40K Euro [for the set]
Going @ Rs. 650/-K FOB Pune.
If you or any one else is interested - please do get in touch with me - I can get you to meet the 'seller' !! This is a 100 Watt Power Class A - 100kg Power Amplifier - truly a super SS Power Amp & a Pure DC Supply Pre to go with it - superb price - I feel !!
This was my set & I really loved it - excellent product - used with Wilson Sophia [also for sale] !! So do let me know.:clapping:

It makes perfect sense to me. I am in that camp as well.

I didn't try a lot of 'exotic/esoteric' gear, but whatever I tried (and reasonably well priced in absolute terms) I know what they gave me (and what they didn't). As I mentioned in the other thread, right now I am using a 'cheap' tube amp which costs a fraction of what I was planning sometime ago on a SS amp (in fact loose change I should say). But the sound is miles ahead of SS amps more than 10 times the cost, or so it seems to my ears. And I don't need to read the spec-sheet to know it. My ears tell me what is what without going through the numbers marketing department keeps boasting about.

Thankfully, very early in my 'audiophile-life' I realized the non-importance of the 'spec-sheet'. And with ears as my guide, I have absolutely no qualms listening to valves, even if its cheaper and doesn't bring boasting rights, simply because they sound so good.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back