my journey so far...

priyesh

Hello Everyone,

Like everyone else I have been looking forward to setup my home theatre (my first experience ).

I start with a budget of 150k to 200k for the setup and auditioned various setups. So here is my experience so far:

First I went to Bass n treble in Gurgaon with my friend (who had accompanied me through all the auditions and I really depend on his advice to decide my setup:) anyways back to the topic. First point to keep in mind if you are going to this store, please, please take an appointment. I had to wait an hour and half as they already had some appointments. But there is nothing to blame about Bass n treble for it. So first I checked out wharfedale setup. The clip that was demoed was from Super8. The Sq was good and so was the bass. But when switched to music, I wasnt impressed. Then we demoed the Quad speakers. The bookshelf were nice but when we auditioned the 22L2, it was just amazing. It was good with movies as well as music.

then we went to MGF mall in Gurgaon only as there are many Hifi stores.

First we went to profx store. I auditioned some energy towers and kef ones, but they were not as impressive as Quad ones. I also auditioned KEF T205 satellite 5.1 system as it really lacked everything. After it sales person gave the demo of JBL satellite control now 5.1 system. It was again really good, especially given they were satellite system but felt like we were listening to floor standing speaker. Though personally I felt it somewhere lacked a bit of clarity.

then we also went to Onkyo store. We demoed ELAC speakers with its sub and onkyo 309 avr. Well my friend wasn't so impressed with it, but I think I was able to find the clarity in ELAC speakers, that was missing in JBL. But the ELAC sub was simply underperforming. There was hardly any good bass coming out if it. I think ELAC speaker were more precise and could be good combi with JBL Sub. Well by this time I understood difference in bright and warm sound and that I prefer warm sound.

After this I received PM from Ashish from Lakozy on this forum, and if I can give him a visit. Frankly speaking I wasn't planning to visit lakozy as they don't have the brands, which I got to know over 3 -4 days on this forum and avsforum. Still I gave him a visit and again my friend was accompanying me. We started with PSB Bookshelfs, they were good but not as good as we Quad towers. Then we auditioned PSB t5 and t6 towers. Well all I can say I knew this a kind setup I would love to listen. There was warm and clear sound coming out of PSB towers and NAD AVR. Well I almost finalized this setup, with last think on my mind to audition one more setup.

So we went to Gemini Traders @ CP. They do have a variety of speakers. We started paradigm towers, while one as fine; the other (some special edition and a bit smaller in height) seems to be a good speaker. But then I was still getting all bright noise and wasn't very comfortable. But to this the person there informed me, its because of Denon Avr and its not easy to compare it with NAD speakers. And second reason was given, as all four walls of the demo room was hard ply so they are reflecting too much and making sound a bit brighter. Though I think Paradigm tower could have been good, but given the listening experience (in the presented environment) so far and just going through what me and my friend have listen so far I think PSB+NAD combination was the best. (BTW I also auditioned Paradigm MilliniaLP satellite speakers, they look similar to KEF t 305, but I think Paradigm speaker are much better and fuller than KEF, though it was also sounding a bit bright from my taste)

So I decided to go for PSB and NAD speakers. I told Ashish I have zeroed on this setup and I plan to buy it and if he can visit my site. Well as a helpful person he come to the site, (I wasn't there at that time) My mom and interior decorator met him. After I came back home from office I asked my mom so what does she thinks and if everything went fine. I got to know that; well they have decided that we are not going for floor standing speakers.

And all my 2 weeks of hard work went down to sink. Now I am back to 2square one and looking for satellite system. My family has given me instruction to either go for Bose (HT or TV) or find speaker, which are small like them or sleek like KEF.

In meantime I went to Bangkok for 3 days, end up bringing a Marantz AVR 6006 for 25900 Thai Baht (approx Rs 43,000). Now I am planning to get some small speakers and a powerful sub

For speaker I think I can consider ELAC speakers, Bose lifestyle speakers, Q Acoustic 7000 series speakers (only available in Jaipur) or I just read about Dali Fazon Speaker (I would love to get their demo).

If any of you have a better speaker in my mind please let me know. I would prefer speakers with warm sound and with clarity. Also if imaging could be good then it would be great. I cant go for bookshelf kind of speakers; else I would have taken PSB.

For Sub, I have only two subs on my mind at the moment.

1) HSU research VTF-15h (would be shipped from US, price: 879 USD, Shipping: 550 USD, Custom duty; ??? (No idea, can someone help me what could be approx duty that I might need to pay)

2) SVSound SB13plus: Indian dealer Audire. Still need to negotiate with price (Btw it has just been discontinued in US, due to some changes in box design and will be available after the redesigning. But since I think Audire already have some stocked unit, let me see what price I can get it for, as such listed price is Rs. 117K

P.S. Its already midnight and I am half sleepy. I am sure there will be hundreds of spelling/grammatical mistakes, but please bear with me. also if admin can reedit it, it would be great.

Kind Regards,
Priyesh

Last edited:
Since size seems to be a major criteria.

You can also look at

1.Definitive technology Promedia 800, or better still
Promonitor 1000 as fronts and surrounds and Procenter 1000 and add the subwoofer of your choice

2. Paradigm Cinema 70CT or 110CT

3. B&W MT-50 or MT-1

HSU and SVS are both brilliant subwoofers, Another subwoofer you can look is RythmikAudio F1515HP or FV15HP. I use the latter
You can also consider REL

Go with PSB Image B6 , with a fine subwoofer like HSU and SVS u really do not need a floorstanding speaker. Also look at Imagine series from PSB and Studio series from Paradigm. Drive the Paradigms with NAD and PSB with Marantz to see the real deal. :)

You can also look at

Promonitor 1000 as fronts and surrounds and Procenter 1000 and add the subwoofer of your choice

3. B&W MT-50 or MT-1

HSU and SVS are both brilliant subwoofers, Another subwoofer you can look is RythmikAudio F1515HP or FV15HP. I use the latter

I also looked for Rythmik and outlaw subs, but was unable to get them here in India. Is there any dealer here who deals with Rythimik subs? Also if you bought your sub from state, did u shipped it or brought it with yourself and last question what was the price of the sub.

You can also look at

3. B&W MT-50 or MT-1

Go with PSB Image B6 , with a fine subwoofer like HSU and SVS u really do not need a floorstanding speaker. Also look at Imagine series from PSB and Studio series from Paradigm. Drive the Paradigms with NAD and PSB with Marantz to see the real deal. :)

Hi Kittu,

I think I am already in love wiyh PSB brand and so with NAD AVRs, but size is the omly issue with them :( even their bookself are quite big in size for being satellite speakers. Otherwise if i ever have to go for bigger speakers, i dont think i will for any other brand else than PSB.

Hi Kittu,

I think I am already in love wiyh PSB brand and so with NAD AVRs, but size is the omly issue with them :( even their bookself are quite big in size for being satellite speakers. Otherwise if i ever have to go for bigger speakers, i dont think i will for any other brand else than PSB.

Bookshelf speakers are not satellite speakers. Trust me Image series are very well designed speakers. You can stand mount the bookshelf speakers and give a nice look to your HT setup.

Bookshelf speakers are not satellite speakers. Trust me Image series are very well designed speakers. You can stand mount the bookshelf speakers and give a nice look to your HT setup.

Stand mount is not the option available to me. If that would have been the case than i think T6 would have been better choice. My HT is going to be in living room so my family wants something with minimum visual signature. though after your post i am thinking about PSB mini, though i am not sure how they will stand compare o PSB B6 or compare to other satellite system available in the market

I also looked for Rythmik and outlaw subs, but was unable to get them here in India. Is there any dealer here who deals with Rythimik subs? Also if you bought your sub from state, did u shipped it or brought it with yourself and last question what was the price of the sub.

Rythmik works like Emotiva, so no dealers, sub dealers etc.

I got the Subwoofer as a kit sans cabinet and built the cabinet in India. I bought the highest specced driver and plate amp and it worked out to $820 shipped to a US address and had my Aunt carry it down from me.

However If they ship the driver/plate amp to India along with customs add another $500 So total around = $1300

I built along the lines of FV15HP with the identical cabinet design/tuning/ bracing .
Rythmik sells the FV15HP For $1300 however shipping to India + customs I would say add another $800 - $1000
They are extremely heavy . Infact the driver and plate amp itself weigh in close to 30 kilos .
Rythmik Audio will ship it to India.

Now why did I choose Rythmik over HSU /SVS
The pic below says it all

However I would like to add, that considering that you are going to use either tiny bookshelves or satellites. having a HSU / SVS/ Rythmik is compeltely useless These subs have tremendous output and work well with high sensitivity bookshelves / FS. They work better with speakers that can be crossed with the sub at 80hz or lower.
with a satellite system, you would have to cross it higher, because most satellites are not very sensitive, your sub would overpower the fronts and all you would hear is bass, unless u keep the volume knob on the sub at 10% or lower.
I would suggest to go in for 2 smaller subs, you will get a more linear response in the room.

However I would like to add, that considering that you are going to use either tiny bookshelves or satellites. having a HSU / SVS/ Rythmik is compeltely useless These subs have tremendous output and work well with high sensitivity bookshelves / FS. They work better with speakers that can be crossed with the sub at 80hz or lower.
with a satellite system, you would have to cross it higher, because most satellites are not very sensitive, your sub would overpower the fronts and all you would hear is bass, unless u keep the volume knob on the sub at 10% or lower.
I would suggest to go in for 2 smaller subs, you will get a more linear response in the room.

Hi Flash,

I think it was really important advise that you gave me. I will try to make sure that i choose speakers which can go down to at least 70 hz, so that i can use crossover at 80 Hz.

Hi Kittu,

Well I wont be able to test both setting, but I think you already have idea regarding it. Can you please tell me what will be the difference in sound quality.

Orb speakers are really good for their price (especially they ship their speaker to India only for 64 USD), but i have a little more room to buy better speakers. there are some threads on AVSforum on Orb and they have mentioned though they are great speakers but still lack few things. Btw after your advice I am rethinking about the PSB mini. but still looking for some more alternatives.

Equation goes like this:

Orb price<My budget(70-80k)<PSB imagine mini

HSU speakers are good but dont want to spend another 500 usd on shipping

Though this post is quite old but wanted to update my final choices here

I think I have gone with the kittu advice and bought the psb mini speakers. So I have 5 speakers from psb. Avr ads Marantz 6006.
As for subwoofer fight remain between rhythmic E15 vs HSU 15 ULS. I am more biased towards rhythmic but they have 2 months waiting time ans its killing me to wait. :(

Kind regards,
Priyesh

priyesh - psb mini are terrific speakers for those who need small sized. Did you audition them with your avr?
You could have gone with a sound bar + sub given your requirement of minimum visual signature.
I think a good set of floor standers add to the beauty of the room :) but then most people won't agree with that, and living room is meant more for others than yourself, right?

priyesh - psb mini are terrific speakers for those who need small sized. Did you audition them with your avr?
You could have gone with a sound bar + sub given your requirement of minimum visual signature.
I think a good set of floor standers add to the beauty of the room :) but then most people won't agree with that, and living room is meant more for others than yourself, right?

I have auditioned them while I was still looking for floor standing. Definitely they won't stand much again T6 towers but they were nice considering they are satellite system and again while testing was with NAD avr.

Another update is that now HT setup has move to my room of size 16*14 feet. I can't go for floor standing as I am married and I have hard time getting even satellite in the HT setup.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back