My latest music set up

A few things you may want to try out. Stand the speakers up vertically to minimize off-axis lobing/interference. Toe them in so that they are pointing directly at you for smoother, more extended frequency response (especially in the highs). If you have thick blankets or thick wall rugs, hang them on the wall in-between the speakers. Place a rug on the floor between yourself and the speakers.

1) They are toed in already. It does improve sound.

2) I Have plan in mind to put carpet

3) kept them in horizontal position after some thought: Both the mib bass drivers are playing same sound. If kept in vertical osition, the waves coming from them will behave differently because the sound waves from the two drivers will be hitting the floor at different angle and will reach me out of phase possibly making the sound muddy. In horizontal position, sound waves from both will hit the floor at same angle and reflected waves will reach me in phase.

If I really get a thick carpet, may be I will put them in standing position.

4) How does putting a rug on the wall help? There is a sofa opposite to the speakers where I sit and listen. With its thick cushion, I thought it will work well as absorbing material.

I think the MTM design helps in reducing off axis interference at least in one axis, in my case horizontal axis in the present position.

Last edited:
In horizontal position, sound waves from both will hit the floor at same angle and reflected waves will reach me in phase.
Reflections off the floor don't help improve the sound as much as reflections off the side walls. So you're sacrificing good reflections for ones that aren't so useful (may even be harmful). This is one of the reasons why THX only certifies centre speakers where multiple tweeters or mid-tweet-mid is vertically arranged, minimizing floor & ceiling reflections and maximizing horizontal dispersion.
How does putting a rug on the wall help?
Most of the research into reflections show that lateral reflections (bouncing off the side walls) result in more pleasing sound, since they improve the sense of spaciousness and ASW (apparent source width). By comparison, reflections bouncing off the middle of the front and back walls have the least positive effect. So while it is fine (likely even beneficial) to leave side wall reflections alone, it would be a good idea to absorb reflections coming off the central area of the front and back walls.
I think the MTM design helps in reducing off axis interference at least in one axis, in my case horizontal axis in the present position.
Your choice. Personally, I would never sacrifice horizontal off-axis response for better vertical response (unless other listeners were seated on a ladder instead of a sofa). Why do you think you d'Appolito (MTM) configuration is always vertical? If you look at speakers designed for music listening, floorstanders or bookshelves, the drivers are arranged vertically.

Thanks for the link Sanjay.
Seems that after optimizing the audio gear to my liking (creative sound card is on way), it is now time to gain some knowledge about room acoustics. Thanks for indicating page no. Otherwise i would have lost steam before reaching that page.

it is now time to gain some knowledge about room acoustics
Much easier and less intrusive than some would have you believe. For residential spaces, you can break up most of the reflections with furniture you already have (rugs, coffee tables, sofas, book cases, etc). Just avoid a relatively empty room, which can sound like a reverberant cave. By taming reflections, you'll be able to hear more of your speakers and less of your room.
Thanks for indicating page no. Otherwise i would have lost steam before reaching that page.
Yeah, many of these research papers result in MEGO (my eyes glaze over). I'm not one of those technical, engineering types. So I always start with the summary (gives me some idea of what's going on) and then go back to the begining.

Hi,

Here are some pics of my video set up. Philips MCD177 as source + amp, Viewsonic monitor as screen, open baffle speakers. We watch movie once a week or less and we are stll comfortable with VCD/DVD quality. So this set up gets much less importance as compared to music. For those who wonder why the screen level is so low, we watch movies while being seated on a matress on floor.

Last edited:
Damn those open baffle speakers look SU-WEET! You need a big-ass TV :)

I don't even have a TV connection(like dish/airtel etc):).So no question of TV
Video takes an absolute back seat.

We start a movie mostly after 11pm. Many time we don't even finish it. So not even thinking of better TV at this time. May be 5 years later I will go for a projector.:D

Hi friends,
I have added speaker stands to my set up. Got them from Magma. Sal Alif model modified a bit. The most important : wife liked them immediately from aesthetic point of view. She feels they have some exotic look. Whatever. I am relieved she liked them. I have noted 2 striking changes.

1)The voice is now bang in centre. It used to be more pronounced on left side. God knows why. I had tried many things but nothing worked. Even swapping to speaker terminals on amp and change of listening room did not work. Finally i had put the balance knob on 2 o clock position. I added stands and it was spot on. Cant remember this benefit mentioned in benefits of stands.
Is it same as 'better imaging'?
This change was appreciated by wife immediately.

2) The sounds seems to be originating from a source behind the speakers rather than coming from speakers themselves. I think i should say 'sound stage is pushed back' Am i right? Again this was not mentioned in benefits of stands.

Other than that,subtle instruments in background seem to be more easily audible than before. May be it is due to tighter bass. However I am yet to notice any striking change is bass. The bass is very good(which was already there). Shall I say 'better separation' here?

I am trying to use these terms appropriately. "imaging,sound stage and separation" Expert please help

The modifications were,

1)larger 12X12" base plate and that too of 12mm rather than usual 8mm thickness. This was to make stands heavier and shift centre of gravity down. My speakers are 22"tall.

2)Top plate slightly wider and deeper than speaker base with small skirting screws. Skirting is there on sides and back but not in front :To make speakers child proof. I am not using blue tak. Absence of skirting in front allows me to keep the front edge of speaker flush with that of the top plate.

Pictures sometime later :) . I am on my mobile.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back