My new (made in Calcutta) Tube amplifier

Thanks to this eye opening post by @madman29 , I’m also on my way to acquiring a ECC83 tube based preamplifier from Patha Babu. Can’t wait to get my hands on it.

Thanks to this eye opening post by @madman29 , I’m also on my way to acquiring a ECC83 tube based preamplifier from Patha Babu. Can’t wait to get my hands on it.
You will not regret your decision Bloom@83. I am a happy user. At the price one can buy from him those amps and pre-amps are very cheap compared to established brands.
Now the quality they offer compared to established brands products with same components can be debated on -- but the sound quality just makes me speechless. Not to mention an amp with the same components he used for my amp from a reputed brand will be forever out of my reach as I choose not pay so much for just listening to music.

You will not regret your decision Bloom@83. I am a happy user. At the price one can buy from him those amps and pre-amps are very cheap compared to established brands.
Now the quality they offer compared to established brands products with same components can be debated on -- but the sound quality just makes me speechless. Not to mention an amp with the same components he used for my amp from a reputed brand will be forever out of my reach as I choose not pay so much for just listening to music.

I’m also never in favour of spending lakhs just on brand ; law of diminishing returns kicks in within 2L range in my experience dor stereo. Plus the audio industry has undergone massive change in last 4-5’years wherein good sound is available with an average budget , specially wrt to speakers. I prefer to spend , if at all , on source material (vinyls , CDs ).

Hi, can you share the contact details of Partha babu?

Regards,
Niloy

Hello everyone,

Its been long that I started a new thread.

I'll try to give some details about my new tube amplifier. This is my first tube amplifier. Before this I had a Pioneer SA9900 integrated amplifier. It was a vintage model. And to me it was irreplaceable. Well what do I know:). But as it was quiet old, replacement parts were getting hard to procure. So I started looking. Mostly for branded amplifiers. Requirement was a low to medium powered amplifier with wide frequency capability.

I was very happy after I listened to an Arcam amplifier (I guess it was A28). I was also getting a big discount on the MRP. I was also fond of the popular Marantz amps in the 6xxx series as some of my friends were using it and they sounded good. But those amplifiers offered me nothing new that my Pioneer couldn't do. So the search went on...

At this point one FM from this site suggested me to look at tube amplifiers. And to my surprise he also gave me a persons name living in Calcutta making tube amplifiers. He also offered me to introduce me to him. So one rainy afternoon in this pandemic off we went to meet a seventy year young person who's very passionate about what he does -- make amplifiers.

That evening we listened to two amplifiers. One of them using the EL84 tubes. (The specs of the other one I forgot) The speakers he was using was no too good. Still the amp somehow managed to shine and sound nice. And it was not the same 'nice' that my Pioneer used to sound like. The bug inside my head shuffled its legs:). Partha babu (Partha Banerjee) the person we went to meet also offered me the unthinkable... He gave me the amplifier for a few weeks for listening. And after a few weeks, or was it more than a month, I placed an order for the amp with him which I received within 2 weeks.

Well it sounds like the end of the story. Not so. Nope;)

The day I went to take delivery of my new amplifier Partha babu was tinkering with another amplifier. As any one from this forum, I too wanted to listen to that other amp. The tubes it was using was 6L6GC and 6SN7. The speaker used for the demo were the same. Lo and behold -- this amp I was listening to was much different form the EL84 based amp. First thing that came to my notice was the sparkle at the top end of the sound. Now I must admit here that it was nothing better than the EL84 based amp, it only sounded different. And as my choice of music comprise mostly of 70s and 80s rock and pop, I instantly had an idea what this amplifier could do for that kind of music:):):)

I asked Partha babu (with a guilty smile on my face) can I take this amplifier. 'Well this is not quiet finished" was his answer. So it was a wait for another couple of weeks.

After a few weeks from that day I was the happy owner of my new tube amplifier (the 6L6 one) playing Foreigner, Toto, Traffic, Eagles, Dire Straits.....

Some details about the amplifier:
  1. 6L6GC Pentode used as Triode
  2. 6SN7 Double tioode valve used as SRPP circuit
  3. Power : 6 watt x 2 (Class A)
  4. Price : Rs.40,000
Well now some pics.
I will post a review on how it sounds in coming months.
Can i have Partha Banerjee's mob no?

Madman 29,

Nice to see you so happy. IME, you were fortunate to swap out the EL84 amp for a 6L6GC amp. Especially if using it at 1.4K and above.

The EL84 is popular, euphonic, but in my listening experience, it is NOT a wide band sounding tube. EL84 Finals tube plays mostly in the mids, when used full range and single amped on a speaker. This is NOT the case with a 6L6GC tube. A 6L6GC plays a better low end, and a better high end.

You were blessed, IMHO, to be able to hear the 6L6GC , triode connected, and select that Finals tube amp for your long term use.

Have fun listening.

Jeff

Hello everyone,

I'll try to give some details about my new tube amplifier. This is my first tube amplifier. Before this I had a Pioneer SA9900 integrated amplifier. It was a vintage model. And to me it was irreplaceable. Well what do I know:). But as it was quiet old, replacement parts were getting hard to procure. So I started looking. Mostly for branded amplifiers. Requirement was a low to medium powered amplifier with wide frequency capability.

I was very happy after I listened to an Arcam amplifier (I guess it was A28). I was also getting a big discount on the MRP. I was also fond of the popular Marantz amps in the 6xxx series as some of my friends were using it and they sounded good. But those amplifiers offered me nothing new that my Pioneer couldn't do. So the search went on...

At this point one FM from this site suggested me to look at tube amplifiers. And to my surprise he also gave me a persons name living in Calcutta making tube amplifiers. He also offered me to introduce me to him. So one rainy afternoon in this pandemic off we went to meet a seventy year young person who's very passionate about what he does -- make amplifiers.

That evening we listened to two amplifiers. One of them using the EL84 tubes. (The specs of the other one I forgot) The speakers he was using was no too good. Still the amp somehow managed to shine and sound nice. And it was not the same 'nice' that my Pioneer used to sound like. The bug inside my head shuffled its legs:). Partha babu (Partha Banerjee) the person we went to meet also offered me the unthinkable... He gave me the amplifier for a few weeks for listening. And after a few weeks, or was it more than a month, I placed an order for the amp with him which I received within 2 weeks.

The day I went to take delivery of my new amplifier Partha babu was tinkering with another amplifier. As any one from this forum, I too wanted to listen to that other amp. The tubes it was using was 6L6GC and 6SN7. The speaker used for the demo were the same. Lo and behold -- this amp I was listening to was much different form the EL84 based amp. First thing that came to my notice was the sparkle at the top end of the sound. Now I must admit here that it was nothing better than the EL84 based amp, it only sounded different. And as my choice of music comprise mostly of 70s and 80s rock and pop, I instantly had an idea what this amplifier could do for that kind of music:):):)

I asked Partha babu (with a guilty smile on my face) can I take this amplifier. 'Well this is not quiet finished" was his answer. So it was a wait for another couple of weeks.

After a few weeks from that day I was the happy owner of my new tube amplifier (the 6L6 one) playing Foreigner, Toto, Traffic, Eagles, Dire Straits.....

Well now some pics.
Hey I'm from Kolkata. I have been looking for a descent tube amplifier for my Polk S60 towers for a long time. Could you help me to get in touch with Mr. Partha?

I changed the caps as the best repair person in Calcutta told me one of them were not in good shape. And when I went shopping for the cap I went for the best I could afford. It also had some glowing description of what it could do to the sound signal. But I failed to hear those. I consoled myself and thought maybe my speakers are not up to the mark.
I think Prem ji you are right, sometimes we expect too much from those components.
Though I will change those RCA 6L6GC tubes at some point and use GE or some other make. Only in the quest to make the sound better. But if I could hear them or not will be a different story:)
Nothing wrong with RCA 6l6gc. Those are fine tubes. The GE may just turn out to be different. NOS prices have shot thru the roof. You are in a very good place with the rca’s.

Hello everyone,

Well now some pics.
Hello. Can I have partha Babu's number.

Hello everyone,

Well now some pics.
Contact number of partha Babu in Kolkata please

Hi , I am a hifi - audio - enthusiast !! I came to know about Mr Partha Banerjee!! I want to have a 2nd valve amplifier from him !! Plz help me find him !!

Yes the sound is very enjoyable and the highs are really nice. Tube amps are supposed to be warm sounding was my notion. But the very thing I like about this amplifier is the top end.
Will post a detailed 'how it sounds' review soon.
Hello , I am Bivore, love to own valve amplifier!! Want to meet Partha babu regarding this!! Please

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back