My review of Sennheiser HD 598

umeshdhingra

My recent adventure into the world of headphones was thanks to my brother ,who had recently bought B&W P3 head set (Bowers and Wilkins P3 Headphones, P3 hi-fi headphones - Bowers & Wilkins | B&W) I had got a chance to hear it as well.

That infact amazed me as I could "hear" the difference worth the few thousands which I might spend on buying a "audiophile" head phone.

Did my research and also thanks to the fellow Hi-Fi members, I decided to buy Sennheiser HD 598 , ( one good link which was indeed helpful was A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By Boomana - Head-Fi.org Community)

Just for information , I bought it from infibeam.com as there was a considerable discount ( vis vis flipkart) , I got it for Rs 12700/- and the delivery was indeed very fast .

I have been using this precious headset on the following devices during the past two weeks:

1.Logitech Squeezebox Touch,
2.Cambridge Audio 650 A integrated amplifier,
3.iPad (ver 3) specially for Tune In radio ( favourite being sky fm channel(premium) )
4.Samsung Galaxy S3

What I have been listening .....
1.Its been Flac and sometimes mp3 ver files basically of instrumental music starting from Yanni,Shadows,Brian Silas
2.Ghazals and retro Bollywood songs (all Flac ver) and
3. on few occasions some dance and disco ( again Flac)

My first impression :

Good looking ,nice sounding with full marks on highs ,mids and bass ( what I really hv been enjoying is that no bass booming)

While hearing Standing in Motion from Yanni's best album :Live at Acropolis, the drums didn't seem to be hurting the ears and could almost get an effect as if listening live ( I am not an audiophile so I still need to get my listening experience on sound stage , 3 D sound , and then only I can comment ).

Also while listening to Flac ver of Silsilla and Karz OST , I really enjoyed the musical instruments and vocals. ( I have been using dbpower software for encoding all CDs)

What I also have enjoyed is that long hours of listening with the headphones is indeed comfortable ,even with Jennifer Lopez :Dance Again album being played repeatedly.

However when I now start writing my experience with the iPad and Samsung Galaxy S3, the picture is different ( not basically due to the headphone0 , but the volume setting is almost 80 /90 % level and only then I can enjoy the HD 598 headphone.

My best experience so far has been listening to Rahul Sharma album Zen through the Cambridge 650 A, each and every tone was exceptionally good , almost as if I am listening to Rahul Sharma live in my drawing room .

I am expecting that in next few days the hearing experience will improve once the speakers break in period is done.

Will try and write few more experiences in next few weeks .

However before I close ( and start getting ready for the Raksha bandhan cermony ) ,I would like to ask my fellow HiFi members :

Can I "juice up " the listening experience specially for ipad and Samsung Galaxy S3 by adding a suitable amp / DAC combination , even though I have been reading a lot on different brands ( havnt tried any so far ) , but since I am new to the headphone world, may i request for some inputs on this aspect .
Thanks for reading ,cheers

For amp dac you will have to purchase the apple CCK and amp DAC of your choice. Good options are.

1. ODAC/O2 from JDS labs
2. Audioengine D series
3. FiiO E10 / FiiO E17
4. Calyx coffee
5. Audinist

umeshdhingra, congratulations on your new headphones. They look great, they look comfortable too, and I bet they are a joy to use. I'm also a recent convert to headphone listening: apart from earphones for travel/commuting, I'd been avoiding them for nearly forty years!

esanthosh, that's an interesting review of an interesting device. As to amplifying analogue output from a headphone socket, I've had the doubt, "Doesn't it just make the same sound, faults and all, louder?" Now I can understand a little better.

I don't think that the Android world has a way of getting digital out? The mentioned Apple device seems to be ahead of us there.

I do have the earlier version UHA-6S MKI with the same opamp, OPA209. Lot of things John (project86 on head-fi) mentioned in the second page mirror my own experience with them over the last 10 months. I have written something about them here (might require all day to read if you don't use Find in browser), here.

My recent adventure into the world of headphones was thanks to my brother ,who had recently bought B&W P3 head set (Bowers and Wilkins P3 Headphones, P3 hi-fi headphones - Bowers & Wilkins | B&W) I had got a chance to hear it as well.

That infact amazed me as I could "hear" the difference worth the few thousands which I might spend on buying a "audiophile" head phone.

Did my research and also thanks to the fellow Hi-Fi members, I decided to buy Sennheiser HD 598 , ( one good link which was indeed helpful was A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By Boomana - Head-Fi.org Community)

Just for information , I bought it from infibeam.com as there was a considerable discount ( vis vis flipkart) , I got it for Rs 12700/- and the delivery was indeed very fast .

I have been using this precious headset on the following devices during the past two weeks:

1.Logitech Squeezebox Touch,
2.Cambridge Audio 650 A integrated amplifier,
3.iPad (ver 3) specially for Tune In radio ( favourite being sky fm channel(premium) )
4.Samsung Galaxy S3

What I have been listening .....
1.Its been Flac and sometimes mp3 ver files basically of instrumental music starting from Yanni,Shadows,Brian Silas
2.Ghazals and retro Bollywood songs (all Flac ver) and
3. on few occasions some dance and disco ( again Flac)

My first impression :

Good looking ,nice sounding with full marks on highs ,mids and bass ( what I really hv been enjoying is that no bass booming)

While hearing Standing in Motion from Yanni's best album :Live at Acropolis, the drums didn't seem to be hurting the ears and could almost get an effect as if listening live ( I am not an audiophile so I still need to get my listening experience on sound stage , 3 D sound , and then only I can comment ).

Also while listening to Flac ver of Silsilla and Karz OST , I really enjoyed the musical instruments and vocals. ( I have been using dbpower software for encoding all CDs)

What I also have enjoyed is that long hours of listening with the headphones is indeed comfortable ,even with Jennifer Lopez :Dance Again album being played repeatedly.

However when I now start writing my experience with the iPad and Samsung Galaxy S3, the picture is different ( not basically due to the headphone0 , but the volume setting is almost 80 /90 % level and only then I can enjoy the HD 598 headphone.

My best experience so far has been listening to Rahul Sharma album Zen through the Cambridge 650 A, each and every tone was exceptionally good , almost as if I am listening to Rahul Sharma live in my drawing room .

I am expecting that in next few days the hearing experience will improve once the speakers break in period is done.

Will try and write few more experiences in next few weeks .

However before I close ( and start getting ready for the Raksha bandhan cermony ) ,I would like to ask my fellow HiFi members :

Can I "juice up " the listening experience specially for ipad and Samsung Galaxy S3 by adding a suitable amp / DAC combination , even though I have been reading a lot on different brands ( havnt tried any so far ) , but since I am new to the headphone world, may i request for some inputs on this aspect .
Thanks for reading ,cheers

Your headphones really sound the one with great features. Can't wait to check out one at the nearest store.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back