NAD 320BEE Problem

soulforged

Hi,

Yesterday I played my system after a long time and noted a hum coming from my left speaker, very faint music but quite an audible hum. :( It wasn't there when I first turned on the amp. It played fine for a while and then the hum started. Tried again after a while with the same result :(

Switched the terminals on the amp (NAD 320BEE) and the hum shifted to the right speaker...

Any idea what could be the issue? Where can I take the amp for repairs in Bangalore?

:sos: a little desperate here...the reason for the desperation in a separate thread...

:cheers:

Hi soulforged,

This sort of problems is not uncommon with equipments more than 10 years old. In your case the 320BEE amp is not 10 years or more, I guess, because the amp is not that old. But it seems to me, the amp may have one or more capacitor leaking. Try and get the service manual downloaded from the net and get somebody replace the damaged caps with caps of proper specs and of decent audiophile quality.

I am not a technical person in these matters, but my diagnosis is based on my own experience with handling old stuff.

Regards.

Is there an authorized service center for NAD in B'lore? I picked this up from ARN 4 years ago...Will try and call up ARN.

I know of one repair shop in Koramangla (Sound Options). Any feedback on them?

Is there an authorized service center for NAD in B'lore? I picked this up from ARN 4 years ago...Will try and call up ARN.

I know of one repair shop in Koramangla (Sound Options). Any feedback on them?

==============================================

had same issue with my philips strereo amp. It was put into use after some time and i noticed crackilng sound which shifted to the other speaker whan i switched the speaker connections.

Akshay Rai ( Mob 9867359109) replaced capacitors and high value resistors and now my amp is doing fine. Akshay is in Mumbai and you are in Bangalore. But you may contact him and maybe he can help. He is quite a knowledgable person and it was nice to deal with him. I recommend him ( though i dont know specifically if he has done NAD before ). BTW, My Philips amp which i bought in used condition is about 17 years young !

do update this thread with your progress on this.. readers would be interested to know the solutions you find.

mpw

Hi Soulforged,

I hope you've contacted ARN systems and got your amp repaired. You can PM our Mod GeorgeO. He gets all his electronics done through a gentleman whose name I do not remember but seems to be a very knowledgeable guy.

Cheers

Rajesh

Hi Soulforged,

I hope you've contacted ARN systems and got your amp repaired. You can PM our Mod GeorgeO. He gets all his electronics done through a gentleman whose name I do not remember but seems to be a very knowledgeable guy.

Philip Isaacs opposite kodava samaj - off millers road.

Update on the issue:

Contacted Sridhar from ARN Systems who put me through to their service person Mr. Sharief. Took the amp to their service center and they promptly fixed it. Apparently there was some problem with the output transistors. The amp's working fine now.

The people at ARN systems were very courteous and prompt in their response.

Update on the issue:

Contacted Sridhar from ARN Systems who put me through to their service person Mr. Sharief. Took the amp to their service center and they promptly fixed it. Apparently there was some problem with the output transistors. The amp's working fine now.

The people at ARN systems were very courteous and prompt in their response.

Why would the hum shift from L to R when you swapped terminals - if it was an o/p transistor?

--G

Why would the hum shift from L to R when you swapped terminals - if it was an o/p transistor?

--G

He might have swapped the speaker terminals ? meaning left channel became right and vice-versa.
By the way I am also a bit surprised that o/p transistor causes a hum.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back