Need a cheap and portable stereo amplifier around Koramangala Bangalore

anjaanaadmi

I am a bit of an audio noob. I did some research online and ordered a
Lepy LP-2024A+ Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier Stereo Power Amplifier and Dayton Audio B652 Bookshelf speakers from Amazon.

The amp arrived a few days ago, and the bookshelf speakers arrived just now. I tried connecting the speakers up and I dont hear any sound. I strongly suspect there is a problem with the amplifier, but I cannot confirm that. I have already asked for the amplifier to be returned. I also want to confirm that the speakers are working fine. If not, I will return them too , and start over :eek:hyeah:.

I live near Koramangala in Bangalore. What is a really cheap and portable amplifier (i guess that means a class D or class T?) that I can buy for the time being. Does anybody know a place there where I can buy it nearby. I want to do this quick, and return the speakers if they turn out to be at fault.

P.S.: Any other bright ideas are appreciated as well.

Is the amplifier powering on? Did you check the volume/gain knobs? While the speakers are connected and switch on the amp, is there any kind of feedback from the speakers?

What exactly do you mean by portable amplifier? You could pick Active speakers which would have built in amplifier.

MaSh

1) What source you used ? what type of cables ?
2) Have you checked power supply / adapter ?
3) Can you post images of your setup ? Front and back ?

Is the amplifier powering on? Did you check the volume/gain knobs? While the speakers are connected and switch on the amp, is there any kind of feedback from the speakers?

The amplifier is powering on (i see a blue light around the volume knob). I fiddled with the volume knob several times. There is nothing coming from the speakers, which makes me suspect the amp isnt sending anything to it, and hence is faulty.

What exactly do you mean by portable amplifier? You could pick Active speakers which would have built in amplifier.

Sorry I was not clear. I dont own any other audio equipment apart from this amp and speakers. So there is no way for me to figure out what is at fault. So I was thinking that I could go out and get a dirt cheap amp just to test the speakers out. My budget for that would be something like < ?1k. That is what I meant by a portable amp. Is there something that is available in that range?

1) What source you used ? what type of cables ?
2) Have you checked power supply / adapter ?
3) Can you post images of your setup ? Front and back ?

1. A standard 3.5 mm Stereo Audio Male To 2 RCA Male Cable. I connected it to output to my Macbook Pro and my Android phone. I also tried it with another 2 RCA Male To 2 RCA Male and connected it with my parents television, although in the second case I am not sure if I was connecting them right.

2. Power supply is working. There is a light around the volume knob that comes on

3. Sorry, I packed up the setup. So I cannot post pics. The seller approved the return for the amp.

1. A standard 3.5 mm Stereo Audio Male To 2 RCA Male Cable. I connected it to output to my Macbook Pro and my Android phone. I also tried it with another 2 RCA Male To 2 RCA Male and connected it with my parents television, although in the second case I am not sure if I was connecting them right.

2. Power supply is working. There is a light around the volume knob that comes on

3. Sorry, I packed up the setup. So I cannot post pics. The seller approved the return for the amp.

Seems you were right , and it was bad luck that it may be faulty peace , you are getting your money back ,that is good!
so buying same amp again?

Seems you were right , and it was bad luck that it may be faulty peace , you are getting your money back ,that is good!
so buying same amp again?

To be honest, this experience left me a bit frustrated with online shopping for high-end (in a relative sense) audio equipment. I am paying a lot more than the actual retail price of the equipment. The import duties comprise a chunk of the extra-cost, but the sellers add a lot of margin on top of that as well. The returns are also not very straightforward.

So as of now, I have abandoned by plan of going for a separate amp and bookshelf speaker combo. I have returned the speakers as well (which is a whole another story had to fight hard with the seller for it). I might reconsider a few years later, but for now I am going for the Swans M10 active speakers. They have good reviews on the forum. They are shipped from India.I heard one of the dealers for it hangs out here as well. I think it will take care of my audio needs for now.

Meanwhile, I have been reading up the threads on DIY audio setups. So instead of importing expensive audio equipment, I might end up importing parts and building my own setup :).

looks like we are kind of sailing in the same boat....
Am in search of Bookshelf speakers, i had a demo of Dali's ( which were way above the budget for my dedicated stereo setup ), Taga's ( I didnt like the way it sounds ), Accusound ( it was better than taga, but its really new and never heard of ).. Then i thought of ordering this Dayton Audio B652 Bookshelf from amazon.com. I did went to SP road - Bangalore last week for a couple of hours, but it was not fruitful. Now am looking for used bookshelf speakers to use it for sometime.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back