Need advice for active speaker for listening only

shrayv

Looking for a active speaker in the range of 20k-30k. Listen to all kind of genres . Expecting extended low range in the active speakers.

I'm from Chennai and would like to know if there are any shops that would allow me to demo

Cheers

JBL onbeat xtreme is excellent all rounder.. extended deep bass is excellent when compared with so many active speakers.. i tested it with so many active speakers , it will blow any speakers with its bass performance.. it have bluetooth , ipod,ipad dock too..

it`s price is around 17-18k in chennai.. try it with discountvu.com in chennai..

look no further..

-suresh babu

This Genelec M Series is supposed to be the new affordable range, coming in September 2013. Its Natural Composite Enclosure (NCE) is made from a fully recyclable fibre composite material, half of which is wood and has the right acoustical properties to deliver exceptional sound quality. It also features special low distortion, high output, power-efficient Class D bi-amplification, purpose designed for each specific driver and automatic mains voltage selection with signal sensing power management for energy saving with less than 0.5 watts of power consumption in standby mode. I have done some careful listening with these new M Series prototypes at recent trade shows and they are simply amazing and definately worth waiting for :)

sr7c.jpg

Genelec for Music Creation. Sound like the Professionals! - YouTube

M30 is priced almost same as 8030a but M40 is much cheaper than 8040a.

The latest international published unit retail prices I have seen are
8020C is 95dB SPL = 352
M030A is 103dB SPL = 375
8030B is 100dB SPL = 533
M040A is 107dB SPL = 563
8040B is 105dB SPL = 858
The price of the M Series is not only about 30% cheaper than the 8000 series but also plays louder with higher SPL, which is super. That makes it great value for money :)

Last edited:
The latest international published unit retail prices I have seen are
8020C is 95dB SPL = 352
M030A is 103dB SPL = 375
8030B is 100dB SPL = 533
M040A is 107dB SPL = 563
8040B is 105dB SPL = 858
The price of the M Series is not only about 30% cheaper than the 8000 series but also plays louder with higher SPL, which is super. That makes it great value for money :)

Yes, in Genelec, every db increase of SPL matters and enjoyable.:)

MRP and Sale Prices from sweetwater and musiciansfriend

Genelec 8030A MRP: $850.00 / Sale: $628.00
Genelec M030AM $695.00
Difference in sale price: 10%

Genelec 8040A MRP: $1495.00 / Sale: $1192.00
Genelec M040AM $995.00
Difference in sale price: 20%

MRP and Sale Prices from sweetwater and musiciansfriend

Genelec 8030A MRP: $850.00 / Sale: $628.00
Genelec M030AM $695.00
Difference in sale price: 10%

Genelec 8040A MRP: $1495.00 / Sale: $1192.00
Genelec M040AM $995.00
Difference in sale price: 20%

Its funny to compare MRP to SALE price :), because those sale prices will be invalid pretty soon after those previous A versions are sold out. They are probably still being advertised as bait, simply to attract enquiries. Ofcourse you wont see a sale price on the M Series because its not yet even being manufactured as yet :)

But in all reasonability, these new M Series seem like a great deal. It seems like the natural composite enclosure is definitely more cost effective to manufacture than the aluminum ones. Also the Class D amplifiers must be more cost effective to manufacture than the Class AB ones, so its likely that Genelec seems to be transferring the cost benefits to the customer obviously

@Kartik

EDIT: I think there is some misunderstanding. I was referring to the old 8030A and 8040A. You are referring to 8030B and 8040B which are newer and slightly more expensive. So the difference between them and new M series are wider. So you are right. Around 30% difference between 8030B and M030 and 35% between 8040B and M040. Makes lot of sense. Sorry for overlooking the model nos. !

Last edited:
Swan M200MKIII is a bi-amped speaker. Each M200 MkIII is bi-amplified with a total of 60 watts per side. You should try it.
Do you mean that it is a "real" active speaker, with separate amplification in each box, ie 4 amplifiers for 4 drivers?

This Genelec M Series is supposed to be the new affordable range, coming in September 2013.
Thank you for that news

OT - Maybe [Price issue]

EXPOSE Studio Monitor Speaker KRK SYSTEMS

The Retail price is US $'s 6,500/- for a pair.
i.e. Rs. 400/- K [Approx @ Current US $ conversation]

I will let it go @ Rs. 215/- Cash & Carry - Parel - Mumbai;
It has not been used - only opened & a demo has been offered a few times.
I have space issues as well as price issues --- if any of the small Genelecs are passing through your hands, please put me on the mailing list :)

I believe I could happily settle for KRK too, as I loved them when I bought my entry-level speakers, but Genelec just sweep me off my feet :cool:

A word of caution for newcomers to the studio monitor market who may be browsing for information and prices. Check carefully... they are often priced each and not as a pair.

Yes Thad
Each of the 2 drivers in each box have their own amp as per the description.. So it means it should house active XO as well though its not mentioned.

The amplifier was completely redesigned into a 4 channel amplifier by-amping the tweeter / woofer in each cabinet separately

A word of caution for newcomers to the studio monitor market who may be browsing for information and prices. Check carefully... they are often priced each and not as a pair.

True. Imagine ordering the product thinking that you will receive a pair only to realize it during delivery. Actual frustration is, not having budget anytime soon to buy another piece.:lol: Will have to go back several decades in time and try to enjoy mono. Lucky though if they have HT with an AVR having preouts. Atleast centre channel can be replaced with it :D

Do you mean that it is a "real" active speaker, with separate amplification in each box, ie 4 amplifiers for 4 drivers?

Thad,

Active is active, bi-amping is not necessary to be active, there is nothing like real active. Active by default means one or more drivers[if 2 parallel connected woofers] per amplifier in a certain fixed frequency band. We should encourage proper terminology isn't. :)

Same way i would like to discourage the use of bi-amping term in place of active.

Last edited:
Oh, yes... sorry for the confusion and thanks for the explanation. I was trying to make the difference between active and powered. There was a thread a while back that enlightened me about this, but it looks like I still have not got it quite straight.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back