Need advice on speakers around 15k

sourav2020

Hi everyone,
I wanted your advice on what speakers I should buy at 15k to go along with a 55" TV for movies and music. I was going to buy a sony s20r or ht-rt3 but after lurking here I'm inclined towards a 2 channel active studio monitor or bookshelf speakers as my parents love listening to music and the sony won't cut it. Unfortunately, I can't control the room setup which is a 11ftx12ft sitting room with a 2 story high ceiling which brings a lot of challenges in surround sound so I'm hoping to find an active stereo setup which does good (relative as we don't have super high standards to begin with, but I don't want to regret going for an inferior one later) in music and okay in movies too (clear dialogues). It is replacing a sony srs-d5 2.1 speaker.

we probably won't miss the subwoofer as we find even the current subwoofer too loud and we turn it down using the bass dial to around middle position.
I just scoured amazon for active stereo speakers around 15k and got these

jbl nano k4
edifier 1280t
edifier 1700
m audio av42
mackie cr4
alesis elevate 5 mkii
micca pb42x

The edifier 1280t seems most vfm and looks great but is the others a huge improvement over this? I just want the best music and movie experience out of this for a max of 15k. Or will I get a good enough experience out of the sony 5.1 soundbar?
I'll have to go by word as I cant go out to audition because of corona.

Consider these also

Out of all you listed and I mentioned, Swans would be most appropriate for you. Although I too have mentioned them but skip Studio monitors. They aren't suited for casual music listening, let alone movie watching.

Agreed, Swan & Edifier are well reviewed in this forum by most of the FM.
Search in other threads for more reference/feedback.

+1 for the swans.
I always wanted to get one when I was into computer speakers but then I turned to hi-fi ....
For your requirements swans will be the best choice IMHO.

Active speakers are good for TV as well as for music in such tight budget. Even I am using a pair of R1700bt for the same purpose from an year and half. It's a nice speaker pair for both music and movies.
Better you consider r1850db, which is having more connectivity options (coax, optical) . Also it has a dedicated sub out, where you can attach a powered subwoofer in future if want.

The Edifier 1850DB looks to fit the bill with various connectivity options including digital inputs to connect your set top box or your TV if it has an optical out. You might consider these too however the inputs are limited JBL 104.

Hi everyone,
I wanted your advice on what speakers I should buy at 15k to go along with a 55" TV for movies and music. I was going to buy a sony s20r or ht-rt3 but after lurking here I'm inclined towards a 2 channel active studio monitor or bookshelf speakers as my parents love listening to music and the sony won't cut it. Unfortunately, I can't control the room setup which is a 11ftx12ft sitting room with a 2 story high ceiling which brings a lot of challenges in surround sound so I'm hoping to find an active stereo setup which does good (relative as we don't have super high standards to begin with, but I don't want to regret going for an inferior one later) in music and okay in movies too (clear dialogues). It is replacing a sony srs-d5 2.1 speaker.

we probably won't miss the subwoofer as we find even the current subwoofer too loud and we turn it down using the bass dial to around middle position.

jbl nano k4
edifier 1280t
edifier 1700
m audio av42
mackie cr4
alesis elevate 5 mkii
micca pb42x

The edifier 1280t seems most vfm and looks great but is the others a huge improvement over this? I just want the best music and movie experience out of this for a max of 15k. Or will I get a good enough experience out of the sony 5.1 soundbar?

You are on right track, I would probably go with edifier 1700. The review looks really promising.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, would I get a noticeable improvement in audio quality if I increase my budget to around 25k? either more expensive active ones or passive with an amp? though I don't know if I can fit the 2nd option in 25k.

Hi everyone,

jbl nano k4
edifier 1280t
edifier 1700
m audio av42
mackie cr4
alesis elevate 5 mkii
micca pb42x

Have Jbl lsr305 pair for sale slightly above your budget if it interest you can pm me

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, would I get a noticeable improvement in audio quality if I increase my budget to around 25k? either more expensive active ones or passive with an amp? though I don't know if I can fit the 2nd option in 25k.
You are better off going the active route as it will:
1. fit into your budget
2. provide a simplistic solution which even your folks can operate
3. minimalistic solution which avoids clutter of multiple devices and run of cables

Edifier 1700BT will be a good fit for your budget. Swans D-1080 would be excellent but will go beyond 15K mark. So decide which way you want to go. Plus with Edifiers, ordering from Amazon gives you option to "audition" them till the return window is open, so take that also into account.

Before going with R1700BT, make sure your TV has RCA out, nowadays some of the newer TV models only have digital outs. If that the case, you should go for R1850DB which is exactly R1700BT + digital inputs and sub outs.

Or, if you want to go with component systems, check Norge Audio their entry level items may fit in your extended budget. Otherwise go with the pre owned route.

1 - Edifier 1700 - No experience with these but great reviews
2 - Edifier 1280T - have heard these, great for the price.

Mackie 4s are too thin, MAudio 42 is nothing like the 40, so no point.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back