Need Advice!! Panasonic Plasma P42ST30D or LG LED 42LW4500

kecha

Hi all,

I have planned to purchase a 42 inch TV for our new house by the year end. Therefore, Me and my brother have started the DEMOs in different shops. I didnt want to make the post long i'll ignore why other models are rejected. We have demoed almost all models in 42 inch range in all brands.. After ruling out many TVs now i am unable to select between Panasonic Plasma P42ST30D or LG LED 42LW4500.

Panasonic Plasma P42ST30D:
Initial Price quoted: 69K (yet to negotiate)
1.) Excellent PQ for HD content. It was just unbeatable (Remember i have demoed only 42 inch TVs so no comparision with other higher series like VT30 etc..). It was so cool for the eyes.. I cannot stop speaking about the 2D HD picture quality. To me almost all other 42" is only next to it.
2.) SD is just OK. But HD Channels were good in it.
3.) 3D is just about OK. To me no 3D TVs come closer to LG 42LW4500 as far as 3D is concerned.
4.) 2D to 3D was not good. Its better to watch a HD film in 2D rather than converting it to 3D in this TV.
5.) Excellent brightness and contrast for a plasma TV even in bright room. The settings were Brightness = 0, Contrast = 50 in the showroom.
6.) Active 3D so that you get rechargable 3D glass. Also the big downside here is only one glass free and if i need another the cost is 6K:sad:
7.) I dont care about the Sound quality as i will have a 7.1 setup.

LG LED 42LW4500:
Initial Price quoted: 72K (yet to negotiate)
1.) Excellent PQ. Brightness was good since its LED. But not sure how much its gonna irritate the eyes in a dark room. Also, this is definitely only next to Panny and cannot equal it.
2.) Was not able to check the DTH picture quality since its not connected to the DTH.
3.) 3D just is awesome. All other brands are much below than this. But i also understand it converts the Full HD to 540 Pixels during 3D.
4.) 2D to 3D was good. Objects didnt come out of screen but it was with a good amount of depth inside the screen.
5.) Passive 3D. So the glasses are light, cheap. Also, currently 4 glasses free and i can bargain and get few more too.

My requirement is as follows.
1.) I will not be changing TV atleast for the next 5 or 6 years.
2.) Will be placed in Living room. So room will be bright during normal viewing of DTH channels. But, when watching movies all doors will be shut and the room will be dark. Therefore, need a TV with brightness accordingly which can be good in both these conditions.
3.) Prefer 3D since will be buying next TV only after few years. so that my TV doesnt go outdated.
4.) Should be good even if watched 3D for long time. Atleast 3 hrs continuously.
5.) Brightness shouldnt irritate the eyes when the room is dark.

My max budget: 70K.
Screensize required is 40" or 42". Any technology will do be it LED, LCD or Plasma as far as picture is good.

Few Other models tried are: Samsung 6 series LED 3D, Samsung 5 Series, Panny U30 Plasma, etc. Not interested in Sony.

Therefore, Please let me know which model to choose from these two.

Go for lg 3d tv

Thanks nanduking2. But can you please elaborate how LG fares better from panny so that it will be helpfull for me to decide because i am yet to see the DTH quality in it (SD and HD channels). Component quality wise which has good life between both.. ??

Guys! no other replies?? request your help in deciding..

Buy Samsung 51D550 plasma. It is an amazing 51inch 3D plasma now available for 58k only with 2 free 3 dglasses!! Also glasses are very cheap and light compared to panasonic !! 3D is also very good !! A new group buy is being started for it !! Contact our forum member prankey for more details !!

@ Kecha. Both are different tech. Plasma has natural looking color and better black (at least for me) compared to LED. Watch some Blu ray and you will know the difference ;)

If this TV is going to be watched with logo continuously for hrs (Like SUN TV serial's ;)), better go with LED.

Plasma has to be handled carefully at least initially to avoid IR or Burn in. You should not watch programs which have static images like Black bars, logo of either channel's or DHT continuously.

Panasonic 3D Glasses are expensive @ around 6.5K approx :sad:

Better do a demo with both the TV and select. Again Plasma or LED is personal choice depends up on viewing requirement.

All the best..:cool::cool:

"If this TV is going to be watched with logo continuously for hrs (Like SUN TV serial's ), better go with LED."

I am planning to go for PS51D550, This will be the only Tv available, so ladies at home will be watching TV serials (SUN TV, vijay TV) all the day...

So is this for some initial time only? or its always?

I am worried now :( I was all set to buy PS51D550.

"If this TV is going to be watched with logo continuously for hrs (Like SUN TV serial's ), better go with LED."

I am planning to go for PS51D550, This will be the only Tv available, so ladies at home will be watching TV serials (SUN TV, vijay TV) all the day...

So is this for some initial time only? or its always?

I am worried now :( I was all set to buy PS51D550.

@ gcpraveen The break in period is generally around 200 Hrs.

You can search forum members had some IR problem of logo before 200 hrs.
http://www.hifivision.com/television/21554-panasonic-st30-owners-thread-14.html

and people using Plasma like conventional CRT after the initial break in period.

Ask your family members to use Zoom feature to avoid the logo and black bar during the break in period .

Good Luck

Last edited:
If that is the case, for first 200 hours I will not buy cable or STB :)
Will watch HDrip movies... PS3 games... for first 200hrs.. or is there any other way to overcome this... ?

any settings are mandatory to set plasma for initial run?

If that is the case, for first 200 hours I will not buy cable or STB :)
Will watch HDrip movies... PS3 games... for first 200hrs.. or is there any other way to overcome this... ?

any settings are mandatory to set plasma for initial run?

You can use D-Nice slide for 100 Hrs to reduce the chance of IR or Burn in. If you are going to use D-Nice method you should not watch any program for first 100 Hrs ;)

If you are to watch movies or HDRip or PS3 make sure that there is not static content for more than 0.5 Hrs and keep changing channel's :cool:

Ok Lets say I have managed for first 200 hrs with the settings you told.

Defn @home will watch serials all the time (most of the time SunTv...) So I dont have to take any precaution after that right?

Praveen.

Ok Lets say I have managed for first 200 hrs with the settings you told.

Defn @home will watch serials all the time (most of the time SunTv...) So I dont have to take any precaution after that right?

Praveen.

Don't worry so much. Just run the break-in slides at night for 10 hours until you hit 200 hours. In daytime, you can watch channels but just reduce the brightness and contrast below 50 until 200 hours is complete. No need to worry.

And after the 200 hours is complete you can watch everything (with a tiny bit of caution though but not much to worry)

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have planned to purchase a 42 inch TV for our new house by the year end. Therefore, Me and my brother have started the DEMOs in different shops. I didnt want to make the post long i'll ignore why other models are rejected. We have demoed almost all models in 42 inch range in all brands.. After ruling out many TVs now i am unable to select between Panasonic Plasma P42ST30D or LG LED 42LW4500.

Panasonic Plasma P42ST30D:
Initial Price quoted: 69K (yet to negotiate)
1.) Excellent PQ for HD content. It was just unbeatable (Remember i have demoed only 42 inch TVs so no comparision with other higher series like VT30 etc..). It was so cool for the eyes.. I cannot stop speaking about the 2D HD picture quality. To me almost all other 42" is only next to it.
2.) SD is just OK. But HD Channels were good in it.
3.) 3D is just about OK. To me no 3D TVs come closer to LG 42LW4500 as far as 3D is concerned.
4.) 2D to 3D was not good. Its better to watch a HD film in 2D rather than converting it to 3D in this TV.
5.) Excellent brightness and contrast for a plasma TV even in bright room. The settings were Brightness = 0, Contrast = 50 in the showroom.
6.) Active 3D so that you get rechargable 3D glass. Also the big downside here is only one glass free and if i need another the cost is 6K:sad:
7.) I dont care about the Sound quality as i will have a 7.1 setup.

LG LED 42LW4500:
Initial Price quoted: 72K (yet to negotiate)
1.) Excellent PQ. Brightness was good since its LED. But not sure how much its gonna irritate the eyes in a dark room. Also, this is definitely only next to Panny and cannot equal it.
2.) Was not able to check the DTH picture quality since its not connected to the DTH.
3.) 3D just is awesome. All other brands are much below than this. But i also understand it converts the Full HD to 540 Pixels during 3D.
4.) 2D to 3D was good. Objects didnt come out of screen but it was with a good amount of depth inside the screen.
5.) Passive 3D. So the glasses are light, cheap. Also, currently 4 glasses free and i can bargain and get few more too.

My requirement is as follows.
1.) I will not be changing TV atleast for the next 5 or 6 years.
2.) Will be placed in Living room. So room will be bright during normal viewing of DTH channels. But, when watching movies all doors will be shut and the room will be dark. Therefore, need a TV with brightness accordingly which can be good in both these conditions.
3.) Prefer 3D since will be buying next TV only after few years. so that my TV doesnt go outdated.
4.) Should be good even if watched 3D for long time. Atleast 3 hrs continuously.
5.) Brightness shouldnt irritate the eyes when the room is dark.

My max budget: 70K.
Screensize required is 40" or 42". Any technology will do be it LED, LCD or Plasma as far as picture is good.

Few Other models tried are: Samsung 6 series LED 3D, Samsung 5 Series, Panny U30 Plasma, etc. Not interested in Sony.

Therefore, Please let me know which model to choose from these two.

Kecha,

I've had experience of owning an LG Cinema 3D TV and a Panasonic plasma, having shifted from 42" LW5700 to the 50" VT20 plasma a couple of months back. The post below has my observations on relative performance of these two.

http://www.hifivision.com/televisio...t30-versus-samsung-ps51d550-4.html#post301955

Hope it helps.

Thanks for all the replies guys!!!!

It was really helpful. As this is gonna be the only TV in our home for the next few years where my parents are gonna watch serial whole afternoon daily i think its better to go for LED as it consumes less power and also will not have IR issues.

But still definitely Panny is a better buy as far as PQ is concerned. This will be the definite choice if it is my personal TV. But unfortunately this is the only TV going to be in my house. Also, 3D glasses is a major issue as its costly where me, my brother and even father is fond of 3D..

So at present i am planning to keep LG as the first preference now.

Buy Samsung 51D550 plasma. It is an amazing 51inch 3D plasma now available for 58k only with 2 free 3 dglasses!! Also glasses are very cheap and light compared to panasonic !! 3D is also very good !! A new group buy is being started for it !! Contact our forum member prankey for more details !!

Thanks for the advise. Will definitely check 51D550 and let you know the experience.

Why not go for LW5700@ 73 K...I had seen various clips on both and LW5700 was worth 3 K extra..

Another thing, 3 D configuration settings are better in LW5700...

Further, LG is offering 6 glasses these days.....LW4500 should be about 65 K..

Hi Nishabfss,

Thanks for the advise. I could see the difference between the two is more than 10K. Also i am unable to get LW5700 less than 75K. I am in chennai. Let me know if you know any dealer who can get it cheap. Due to this difference i am willing to settle for LW4500 itself.

Waiting for the year end. Most probably will get LW4500 only. Will update once i purchase.. Will update with pictures.:)

Need some help

I have recently decided to buy a TV. Will be using it for mostly for movies and gaming. Not much of the tv serial fan. It will be my 1st flat screen. After looking for all the possible options i have narrowed it down to three option

Panasonic P42ST30D
LG 65LW6500
Sony KDL-42NX720
Sony KDL-46HX925

The last two choices are expensive. My 1st choice is still Panasonic (looking from all the hardware specs and reviews. I still need to check out panasonic tv. I like the images more natural and vivid. LG tv (and for that matter most LED tv) has unnatural brightness, which i believe will tire the eyes after long term gaming or movie marathons (i do it a lot : :cool: ).
Still need opinion from house.

Thanks. I have just visited Panasonic outlet. Got to see 51ST30D. Its gorgeous. I have asked for a 42" version (would have gone for 51' but the price difference is staggering. But definitely going for Panasonic plasma. Any good deals ?

Re: Need some help

I owned Same panasonic model and it do have more natural colour and best when watching blue ray or ps3. No other brand matched its contrast ratio and support deep xv colour, support ARC and can play various files like mkv directly though usb directly.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back