Need advice to build my Home theater by mix and match !!

sanjayks

Hi,
I had a SONY MHC G880 Home Theater(HT) system which the Sony service center screwed up.
My combination consisted of:
a)I had a combination of cassette player (Inbuilt in SONY HT)
b)Inbuilt FM/AM tuner (SONY HT)
c)Amplifier for audio/video (all formats) through audio/video in/out in SONY HT
d)DVD/VCD/MP3 player externally connected to SONY HT for audio output and LCD TV Sansui for video output.
With all my inputs like cassette,VCD/DVD/MP3,FM/AM and normal TV covered, this was sufficient.
BUT with SONY HT now almost gone I'm looking for best options to cover all inputs of Cassette,FM/AM,VCD/DVD/MP3 and cable TV.

I was thinking of buying Bose V20 component system but looks mighty expensive and also does not cover my cassette,AM/FM option.

Can anybody suggest best options available in the market to cover all inputs within a budget of 1 lakh.

I'm also deeply concerned about after sales service as SONY it seems is not worth buying because of vastly degrading after sales service. LG and SAMSUNG has similar very poor service.

Thanks,
sanjay

hi sanjay
firstly i wouldnt suggest bose because for the same price you'll get something better. and with that sort of a budget we dont have to go looking at the likes of sony / samsung etc

are you looking for a surround sound or a stereo set up. all av receivers come with a built in tuner. you do get quite a few stereo amps that come with built in tuners as well. as for the cassette option i think you will need a dedicated cassette player. if you've got a worthwhile cassette collection why dont you convert them onto cds. you'll need a dvd player which will take care of your mp3 / dvd / vcd / cd options.

will need to know more about what youre working around. ie. do you listen to more music or watch more movies. also what type of music do you listen to. and also room size. do you want satellite type speakers or is bookshelves fine

hi sanjay
firstly i wouldnt suggest bose because for the same price you'll get something better. and with that sort of a budget we dont have to go looking at the likes of sony / samsung etc

are you looking for a surround sound or a stereo set up. all av receivers come with a built in tuner. you do get quite a few stereo amps that come with built in tuners as well. as for the cassette option i think you will need a dedicated cassette player. if you've got a worthwhile cassette collection why dont you convert them onto cds. you'll need a dvd player which will take care of your mp3 / dvd / vcd / cd options.

will need to know more about what youre working around. ie. do you listen to more music or watch more movies. also what type of music do you listen to. and also room size. do you want satellite type speakers or is bookshelves fine

Thanks for the comments,
Let me elaborate a bit.
I'm interested in quality sound (like the one that Bose AdapetIQ Technology can provide) from a variety of inputs like Cassette(I have a huge collection which will take time for me to convert to CD/digital).
I listen to variety of music,watch movies from DVD as well as Cable TV.
So I need all inputs to be routed through and optimised for high quality Stereo surround sound.(That is why Bose comes into question.).
I currently have DVD player so that takes care of all CD/DVD inputs.
I also have LCD TV so that video output is taken care of.
Only requirements are -
1)Cassette player
2)AM/FM player
3)Quality surround stereo sound output from all inputs (like casette,FM/AM,DVD/CD and cable TV).

I hope I'm clear.

I did some comparison on the net with Bose V20 and came up with 2 choices:

a)ONKYO HTS 5300 and HTS 5205
b)Klipsch HTS 2.1 CHANNEL and 3.1 channel

Are these available in india -dealer near Delhi/Noida ?

After sales service centers near Delhi /Noida ?

Quality of after sales service near Delhi/Noida ?

Thanks and regards,
sanjay

Last edited:
stereo sound and surround sound are different. on stereo tracks are recorded on 2 channels - and you therefore require only 2 speakers for optimum output. all music cds are recorded in stereo. surround sound is where sound is recorded on 6 (5.1) or 8 (7.1) channels. thats when you go for surround sound. you typically will have 2 fronts, 2 rears, 1 centre that make up the 5 and a bass unit which makes up the .1.

at a given budget you will get better sound quality from a stereo system than a surround sound since you have to invest in only 2 speakers and an amp that has only 2 channels instead of 6 speakers and an amp that has 7 channels.

once you are more clear on whether you want a stereo set up or a surround sound set up we will be able to help you further. personally i would suggest a stereo set up purely because you will get better sound quality. agreed that from a movie you wont get sound coming from all over the place but they will all come out from the 2 speakers and at a much better quality.

if u have 100k in hand why onkyo or klipsh..

get a denon 1910 for 43-45k
and set of 5.1 speakers accordingly for rest 50k
and few thousand bucks for cables and u all set for

ur cable tv/ hd videos/ stereo and surround sound as well.

+ ur cassette deck can be connected.

however stereo and surround sound is diffrent
using prologic/neo cpkl of modes avalable that divide sound from stereo to surround can
be done..

search on forum and let gurus input advise for the same..

dont even think about bose..those are lifestyle systems and theey are made to output lifestyle and not better sound

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back