Need for a competent, qualified and experienced audio equipment repair shop / technician in Greater Mumbai.........

ronniemarker

The title itself might be close to an oxymoron nowadays, I feel !

In and from MY recent and not-too-long-ago (last 2-3 years or so) experience, what were once upon a time
truly dedicated and competent (well-qualified and experienced) audio equipment repairers located at least
here in Mumbai city are now already or soon becoming a vanishing and possibly, even an extinct breed of
specialized people needed by those in our happy hobby - this is both sad and scary and definitely doesn't
bode well for those of us who still own, possess and (faithfully) love and cherish our "old" audio equipment
and items (gear). What is sad and disheartening is - that - there is likely NEVER going to be a "solution"
for this shortfall and problem and this is bound to make those of us who still participate, enjoy and indulge
in this lovely hobby and pursuit more and more frustrated and disillusioned. Sadly, unlike in the USA and
also in England and many other countries in continental Europe (Germany, Italy, The Netherlands, etc.), there
still are and exists SO many young and old dedicated "technicians" who are well versed and well equipped to
undertake and conduct faithful (accurate and correct) repairs and even full-fledged restorations of vintage
and classic audio equipment items going back anywhere from 10 to even 60+ years ago......I know this because
I have contacted many and even met and spoken with a few on my travels overseas - this makes it so gratifying
and allows for so much peace-of-mind for those audio enthusiasts residing in those lands - it's just a little
sad and overwhelming for those of us here who are effectively walking a tight rope and using our beloved
equipment with fingers crossed and a constant prayer on our lips - but what to do - no other real solutions
in plain sight, I suppose - so, smile, grin and bear it - for as long as you can and for as long as it lasts - after all,
NOTHING really is forever as they say !

I apologize for the slightly negative and distinctly "non-upbeat" tenor of this message but I guess it helps
sometimes to let people know what your predicament is and where you stand - often-times, help suddenly
appears out of nowhere and when least expected in such instances and our faith in our fellow human beings
is quickly restored and to be celebrated !

Best wishes for a lovely, music-filled evening and kind regards to one and all !

it's just a little
sad and overwhelming for those of us here who are effectively walking a tight rope and using our beloved
equipment with fingers crossed and a constant prayer on our lips - but what to do - no other real solutions
in plain sight, I suppose - so, smile, grin and bear it - for as long as you can and for as long as it lasts - after all,
True. So true. Big bucks spent only to realise many a times that the money you paid for warranty is sitting pretty in some else’s bank account or inspite of being able to spend money one cant get the after sales service you wanted. So its a gamble either ways.

The title itself might be close to an oxymoron nowadays, I feel !

In and from MY recent and not-too-long-ago (last 2-3 years or so) experience, what were once upon a time
truly dedicated and competent (well-qualified and experienced) audio equipment repairers located at least
here in Mumbai city are now already or soon becoming a vanishing and possibly, even an extinct breed of
specialized people needed by those in our happy hobby - this is both sad and scary and definitely doesn't
bode well for those of us who still own, possess and (faithfully) love and cherish our "old" audio equipment
and items (gear). What is sad and disheartening is - that - there is likely NEVER going to be a "solution"
for this shortfall and problem and this is bound to make those of us who still participate, enjoy and indulge
in this lovely hobby and pursuit more and more frustrated and disillusioned. Sadly, unlike in the USA and
also in England and many other countries in continental Europe (Germany, Italy, The Netherlands, etc.), there
still are and exists SO many young and old dedicated "technicians" who are well versed and well equipped to
undertake and conduct faithful (accurate and correct) repairs and even full-fledged restorations of vintage
and classic audio equipment items going back anywhere from 10 to even 60+ years ago......I know this because
I have contacted many and even met and spoken with a few on my travels overseas - this makes it so gratifying
and allows for so much peace-of-mind for those audio enthusiasts residing in those lands - it's just a little
NOTHING really is forever as they say !

I apologize for the slightly negative and distinctly "non-upbeat" tenor of this message but I guess it helps
sometimes to let people know what your predicament is and where you stand - often-times, help suddenly
appears out of nowhere and when least expected in such instances and our faith in our fellow human beings
is quickly restored and to be celebrated !

Best wishes for a lovely, music-filled evening and kind regards to one and all !
Nice post as this relates to the frustration many are facing. In my opinion, it is more to do with the social and economic circumstances in India. Hardly anyone gets anything repaired these days. With so many discounts and so many offers, it makes sense to actually buy something new. Regarding our hobby - servicing, repairing or restoring is not a viable business. Generally repairing older equipment requires a lot of time, patience to search for spares and repairs more often than not, would not be commercially viable. For example if you are searching for a rare transistor or mechanical component, that is not available locally, it may cost about Rs.3000+ to import. Also Indians are not used to the concept of paying for the time of the service technician and customers more often than not, only expect the technician to charge 100 or 200 bucks over the spare parts cost. Fees for inspection are unheard of. And then, it comes down to customer volumes. Almost 99% of Indians are into digital and portable devices for audio listening and max one would go is perhaps to buy an AV receiver. Thanks to the advent of panel TVs, Indians are now comfortable throwing out something that costs even upwards of 50k+. Most service centers are focused on PCB replacement as this is the only way they can actually make money. At one point, I was contemplating opening a service center after I retire, but figured out that the commercial viability is just non existant. If a customer would have to courier an amp to me, shipping both ways would be about 2000-3000. Over that, service charges and component costs. Then there is that added headache if one has to employee someone either to help or to do the job. Local audio repairing as a business is ok as long as it is a hobby or just for some pocket money but to make a career out of it is difficult. In my opinion, the only way to counter these circumstances is to go into DIY. An audio enthusiast with good DIY skills (and experience) is always a happy camper :)

Last edited:
Ronnie, I Wholeheartedly recommend Rajubhai & his Son.

They are based in Malad, but will collect from your home. Prompt, and reasonably priced.

Mob / WhatsApp: 9820220747

However, they only repair Audio Equipment, not Home Theatre.

Ronnie, I Wholeheartedly recommend Rajubhai & his Son.

They are based in Malad, but will collect from your home. Prompt, and reasonably priced.

Mob / WhatsApp: 9820220747

However, they only repair Audio Equipment, not Home Theatre.

Hi - and, many thanks for that lead (Raju-bhai & Son).........reminds me of the super-successful and popular and hilarious
American comedy on TV with a similar name - Sanford & Son.............in the grand scheme of things, Malad is not all that
far away although, when one is taking old, heavy and fragile equipment, it could pose quite a trek and challenge, I suppose.
I will definitely "keep" their name and number "on file" with me for when the need arises - again, thanks for sharing and I
wish you a lovely evening - cheers !

My spouse refused. She ask me to do this in a shop if I wish. But real estate rates at Thane won't allow me to invest in a rented shop.
Oh lord ! And when they say no they almost always stick to that decision.

Btw how much would a small shop rental be in your area ? About 100-150 sq ft ?

Manek

My spouse refused. She ask me to do this in a shop if I wish. But real estate rates at Thane won't allow me to invest in a rented shop.
Unfortunately due to this we lost a potential, much needed asset to the audio community. Hopefully in the future you will be able to work out something.
Cheers,
Sid

That would be 30k below my apartment
Wow ! And here in Kolkata we are renting out a 400sqft space on ground floor of our house for commercial purpose (doctors chamber and specs outlet ) for just 18k! But then it had started from 2010.

Oh lord ! And when they say no they almost always stick to that decision.

Btw how much would a small shop rental be in your

Wow ! And here in Kolkata we are renting out a 400sqft space on ground floor of our house for commercial purpose (doctors chamber and specs outlet ) for just 18k! But then it had started from 2010.
One of the major reasons business is flowing outside these area are the real estate rates. It was, it is and will be always unrealistic. And this is Thane. God knows what it will be in Mumbai. There is no logic for that. You take it or leave it. Thanks to online market. Small time traders can operate from their homes.

One of the major reasons business is flowing outside these area are the real estate rates. It was, it is and will be always unrealistic. And this is Thane. God knows what it will be in Mumbai. There is no logic for that. You take it or leave it. Thanks to online market. Small time traders can operate from their homes.
Real estate prices are crazy in and around Mumbai. Pune is catching up on the madness.

OTOH, what would probably make sense is a retail section + service centre I would think.
The retail section could keep the rent and lights going by selling well chosen accessories like phono cartridges, cd’s, lp’s, speaker stands, cables, connectors, power accessories, isolators, etc. and the service section could do proven mods and servicing. The modding places in India I would think are nearly non existent.

Would that be viable ???

Real estate prices are crazy in and around Mumbai. Pune is catching up on the madness.

OTOH, what would probably make sense is a retail section + service centre I would think.
The retail section could keep the rent and lights going by selling well chosen accessories like phono cartridges, cd’s, lp’s, speaker stands, cables, connectors, power accessories, isolators, etc. and the service section could do proven mods and servicing. The modding places in India I would think are nearly non existent.

Would that be viable ???
Everything is viable if someone can pay the rent. Not expecting daily work either due to nature of work. Won't break even either.

Leaving near Thane creek, I have seen my fair share of pots , controls going bad to component leads , PCB tracks , connector strips getting getting corroded. Had to learn DIY repairs myself by watching Youtube . Hard to trust any local repairers to handle my precious audio gears

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back