need guidance for a music oriented setup

6laz3r

Hello All!
I am looking to get a new setup for music only. I am not interested in connecting it to the TV. Input will be ChromeCast Audio (optical preferably) for YouTube music or some other streaming service over WiFi.
I currently have 2 Marshall Stanmores in 2 rooms. Now looking for a better setup for my main room.
90% of the music played is rock and retro pop. 10% is more recent house music for parties. No trance no EDM.
I do not listen to music at high volumes. The Stanmores have never been played above 50% volume.
I like how these speakers sound overall but am now looking for better separation and a wider frequency range. I like the 'punchy' bass on Stanmore, just that it sounds a bit 'muddled' at times.
I am looking for a 2.1 system and am not interested in sorround.

First doubt I have is which of these will be better? 2 floor standing speakers or 2 bookshelf speakers with a sub?
Secondly, I am looking for recommendations. I have never owned such a setup and hence have zero bias towards any brands. My upper limit is 1 lac for the entire setup (receiver/amplifier + all speakers) but I don't want to necessarily spend all of it if I don't have to.
I am located in Bangalore and will visit dealers for demos but I am here looking for a good starting point.
Thank you all!

My suggestion would be to start off with -

1. Bookshelves - 50% budget
2. DAC - 20% budget
3. Integrated amplifier - 30% budget (while selecting amp, check for sub out)
4. Add sub later

Thank you. From what I've checked, Chromecast Audio seems to have a decent DAC. So will it not be better to get an integrated amplifier with optical in and skip the DAC for now?

You may start with what you have in hand.

Just to give you some perspective - I've started with Yamaha AVR and Bookshelves only.

On a quick side note - I am not a huge fan of CCA's internal dac. Both my CCAs are feeding to external DACs connected via mini toslink.

I heard a few songs today on a combination of Yamaha R-N602 with Polk S55 speakers. Liked it! Its a friend's setup. Tomorrow we are taking the amp over to another friend's place where we can test it with Yamaha NS-777 speakers. Will update. The obvious drawback is the size of the speakers. The stuff in the room will have to re-arrnaged.

Also, since you are using Chromecast audio, the other question i have is if you are aware of any other way to stream Youtube Music to such an amp other than Chromecast Audio since it is discontinued and no longer available anywhere!

You can try to demo NAD + Dali combination.
In my opinion Dali z3 sound quite open and are good for rock and party. They also sound good at low volume.

Recommend that you consider the new Audiolab 6000a class A/B integrated. It has all kinds of analog and digital (including optical) inputs as well as Bluetooth connection. It comes at a reasonable price and can serve you for a longer time. Excellent sound and musicality at that price point. Also future proof as you can use in pre, power or integrated modes so tomorrow you can add components you desire. What more, while it allows you to connect your headphone today, it also has a phono stage should you intend to go the TT way in future. Well matched with entry range but seriously capable speakers from Wharfedale, Castle, or Quad (depending on your liking). The combined price might slightly outstrip your budget depending on which speaker you choose.

I find the IAG brands (all above) are better suited for entry level audiophiles in India - more insightful (rather than just plain fun) so you can keep learning about sound, sensibly designed and well-built, and attractively priced.

(I own the Audiolab 8200a from previous generations which I have been enjoying for almost three years now. And I heard the new 6000a recently which I felt has most of that sound quality and characteristics with added features.)

Last edited by a moderator:
You can try to demo NAD + Dali combination.
In my opinion Dali z3 sound quite open and are good for rock and party. They also sound good at low volume.
thank you. yes, good sound at low volumes is a big requirement for me. i've had a tough time at demos with everyone cranking up the volume to show what the setup 'can do' :)

Also, every one here seems to be recommending bookshelf speakers and not floor standing. is bookshelf + sub what most people use and what is the logic against floor standing speakers (other than the size)?

Recommend that you consider the new Audiolab 6000a class A/B integrated. It has all kinds of analog and digital (including optical) inputs as well as Bluetooth connection. It comes at a reasonable price and can serve you for a longer time. Excellent sound and musicality at that price point. Also future proof as you can use in pre, power or integrated modes so tomorrow you can add components you desire. What more, while it allows you to connect your headphone today, it also has a phono stage should you intend to go the TT way in future. Well matched with entry range but seriously capable speakers from Wharfedale, Castle, or Quad (depending on your liking). The combined price might slightly outstrip your budget depending on which speaker you choose.

I find the IAG brands (all above) are better suited for entry level audiophiles in India - more insightful (rather than just plain fun) so you can keep learning about sound, sensibly designed and well-built, and attractively priced.

(I own the Audiolab 8200a from previous generations which I have been enjoying for almost three years now. And I heard the new 6000a recently which I felt has most of that sound quality and characteristics with added features.)
thank you. I know you are not in Bnagalore but any idea where can i find Audiolab amps here? or who the dealers are?

thank you. yes, good sound at low volumes is a big requirement for me. i've had a tough time at demos with everyone cranking up the volume to show what the setup 'can do' :)

Also, every one here seems to be recommending bookshelf speakers and not floor standing. is bookshelf + sub what most people use and what is the logic against floor standing speakers (other than the size)?

I am not sure why bookshelf is better than FS but for music 2.0 setup is more favoured for sure. I use my setup for movies as well so a sub is must.
I am sure Z3 or any other 5inch+ (like mission mx2 or elac b5.2) BS speaker will give you ample oomph.

Do audition with your favourite songs :)

First doubt I have is which of these will be better? 2 floor standing speakers or 2 bookshelf speakers with a sub?

I felt floorstands are better compared with bookshelf. Because bookshelves will have limited volume on the enclosure, either it's not going to reproduce good bass and the higher frequency of the cone may not be smooth. In floorstands, enough volume may be available for the bass driver to breath, so it may perform better than bookshelves.

The best place for your bass sources rarely, if ever, coincide with the best place for your mains.
Quite true. But it is much more effort and expense to properly integrate a sub for music. Floorstanders make it much simpler especially in moderately large room.

Positioning and placement to get it to sound right in a given room.
Standmount speakers are more forgiving.
Cheers,
Raghu

I do not know. But you can check with the importer Designer Audio. They would surely know. You’d find their contact details on their website.

you can get Audiolab 6000a amp from hifimart.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back