Need held to connect a Sony PS3 and a Philips HTS-5530 Home theater system

airphoenix22

Hello Folks,

Am looking to buy a Sony Ps3 that comes with the inbuilt Blu ray 3D player.
I am also looking to purchase a Philips HTS-5530 Home theater system.

The PS3 comes with the following :
HDMI: HDMI out x 2
Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
Digital audio: DIGITAL OPTICAL OUT x 1

The Philips HTS-5530 comes withe the following:
AUX IN 1, AUX IN 2, Composite video (CVBS) output, Digital coaxial in, Component Video output, FM Antenna Socket, HDMI 1.3 output

The problem is that the Philips surround system does not have a HDMI IN nor a DIGITAL OPTICAL IN. It has only a DIGITAL COAXIAL IN.

Could somebody please suggest a way to connect the two products and if there would be any quality loss if a converter is used?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Folks,

Am looking to buy a Sony Ps3 that comes with the inbuilt Blu ray 3D player.
I am also looking to purchase a Philips HTS-5530 Home theater system.

The PS3 comes with the following :
HDMI: HDMI out x 2
Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
Digital audio: DIGITAL OPTICAL OUT x 1

The Philips HTS-5530 comes withe the following:
AUX IN 1, AUX IN 2, Composite video (CVBS) output, Digital coaxial in, Component Video output, FM Antenna Socket, HDMI 1.3 output

The problem is that the Philips surround system does not have a HDMI IN nor a DIGITAL OPTICAL IN. It has only a DIGITAL COAXIAL IN.

Could somebody please suggest a way to connect the two products and if there would be any quality loss if a converter is used?

Thanks in advance.

You can get a wire/converter with Digital optical-coaxial connection i.e. digital optical on one end and coaxial on the other end e.g.

Toslink Optical to Coax/Coaxial Digital Audio Converter (Imported) . Buy Best Toslink Optical to Coax/Coaxial Digital Audio Converter (Imported) at Lowest Price Online

You can get a wire/converter with Digital optical-coaxial connection i.e. digital optical on one end and coaxial on the other end e.g.

Toslink Optical to Coax/Coaxial Digital Audio Converter (Imported) . Buy Best Toslink Optical to Coax/Coaxial Digital Audio Converter (Imported) at Lowest Price Online

won't this kind of converters cause signal loss ??

This philips HT was on my radar but unfortunately it does not have Optical audio in . My LED tv only has optical audio out :(..

Thinking of Onkyo HTS 3400 ... How is the sound quality for

1) normal tv viewing thru Tata Sky
2) Listening to music , mp3 , flacs via DVD player

3) Xbox
4) movie dads ?

won't this kind of converters cause signal loss ??

This philips HT was on my radar but unfortunately it does not have Optical audio in . My LED tv only has optical audio out :(..

Thinking of Onkyo HTS 3400 ... How is the sound quality for

1) normal tv viewing thru Tata Sky
2) Listening to music , mp3 , flacs via DVD player

3) Xbox
4) movie dads ?

To ans the signal loss question, in theory, at least, it should not, there is no real conversion here the signal is still digital all that one is changing is the connector type.

About 3400 I have used it for music and movies via htpc, so don't have experience about other things, for movies and music (although I don't really know what you mean by movies 'dads' :p ) I would rate it as vfm - it does what you can expect from the low end receiver pretty well.

To ans the signal loss question, in theory, at least, it should not, there is no real conversion here the signal is still digital all that one is changing is the connector type.

About 3400 I have used it for music and movies via htpc, so don't have experience about other things, for movies and music (although I don't really know what you mean by movies 'dads' :p ) I would rate it as vfm - it does what you can expect from the low end receiver pretty well.

oooops... I meant movie DVDs :D..

VFM for low end receiver makes it sound mediocre :(

oooops... I meant movie DVDs :D..

VFM for low end receiver makes it sound mediocre :(

Lets face it to build up a good HT with a good AVR and speakers we are looking at a budget of 1 lakh, so lets not have our expectations from a 25000 HiTB too high. But if you compare it to its peers s3400 is outstanding :)

Thanks Cavallino.

I was thinking on the same lines of Himanshu.

How does the below combo sound?
TV: Sony 46EX720
Blu ray : PS3
HTS: Onkyo 3400

1) Is the Onkyo 3400 better than the Philips 5530?
2) is the PS3 good as a Blu ray player or should a stand alone blu ray player be preferred?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back