Need help : Active Speakers with Subwoofer

MrRobot

Dear FMs,

I have swans D1010-iv bookshelf speaker pair (2.0). I want to use it for movies and want to add a subwoofer to them.

1) Please let me know how to add a sub to active config. I am thinking of yamaha or taga sub (as I am told taga is better than polk)
2) I use them with my laptop via 3.5mm cable and I want to buy a USB DAC or soundcard for better performance, please let me know a budget DAC/external sound card which i can use

Dear FMs,

I have swans D1010-iv bookshelf speaker pair (2.0). I want to use it for movies and want to add a subwoofer to them.

1) Please let me know how to add a sub to active config. I am thinking of yamaha or taga sub (as I am told taga is better than polk)
2) I use them with my laptop via 3.5mm cable and I want to buy a USB DAC or soundcard for better performance, please let me know a budget DAC/external sound card which i can use
Hey hi,

Very simple. Get a sub that has line level input and output. Get a usb DAC. Run a pair of RCA to your sub from the computer. Then run RCA's from sub to your monitors. Set the cross over on your sub. Set the volume on the sub to match your taste.

MaSh

Hello @MaSh ,

Sorry I am new, Line level input: does it mean from output from the Amp (like what is given to passive speakers) or output from Laptop or phone??

Hello @vtiwari

Yes I need USB input and Analog output. I can spend around 5k on DAC and around 15 to 20k on the sub.

Hello @MaSh ,

Sorry I am new, Line level input: does it mean from output from the Amp (like what is given to passive speakers) or output from Laptop or phone??

Line level is the RCA output from a dac. Dac would be connected to your source, be it computer or mobile. From sub another RCA pair to your Active speakers.

MaSh.

Dear FMs,

Using these speakers for HT is a bad idea as they are not meant for purpose intended. Instead you should consider going for a set like the
https://proaudiohome.com/p/swans-m50w-2-1-multimedia-music-system/itemMjc3/?manufacturer_id=16&
This is a good option but you can look at other brands also, which are similar to this config.

Cool! thanks @MaSh

Hi @JayaRaa I already have D1010-iv should shoud I sell them I buy M50?

According to specs, the M50 goes as deep as 40hz but if I buy a good sub it can deliver 20hz. Wouldn't that be better?

@MrRobot , a lot depends on what you are wanting to do wrt to this setup/ is this for using with computer or to be used as support to tv?
secondly, don't be bothered too much about sub frequency as good subs themselves cost upwards of 40k, so decide or advise what you are looking at budget wise to give us a better idea of what you are wanting to do & amount willing to spend

@MrRobot , a lot depends on what you are wanting to do wrt to this setup/ is this for using with computer or to be used as support to tv?
secondly, don't be bothered too much about sub frequency as good subs themselves cost upwards of 40k, so decide or advise what you are looking at budget wise to give us a better idea of what you are wanting to do & amount willing to spend

I want to use it with TV and Youtube music. (70% youtube, prime music etc)

Anyother 2.1 which you woukd like to recommend for my purpose. Not a soundbar plz, as they are not good for music, I have auditioned some.

Even when I bought Swans, I auditioned logitech z623, edifier 1280T and finally resort to swans D1010

Look at thonet & vander ratsel as alternative. Since have used swans extensively, my bias will be towards them.

I want to use it with TV and Youtube music. (70% youtube, prime music etc)

Anyother 2.1 which you woukd like to recommend for my purpose. Not a soundbar plz, as they are not good for music, I have auditioned some.

Even when I bought Swans, I auditioned logitech z623, edifier 1280T and finally resort to swans D1010
Swans M50W. You will love it.

Thanks All, I am going to buy M50 :)

Should I buy a DAC or output from Laptop would be enough for these speakers. I have never used DACs but have heard a lot of good things about them.
How is Schiit Modi or Fulla??

Thanks All, I am going to buy M50 :)

Should I buy a DAC or output from Laptop would be enough for these speakers. I have never used DACs but have heard a lot of good things about them.
How is Schiit Modi or Fulla??

A DAC is not a must, but a very good thing to have. A DAC is most cases will be an improvement over any factory built in sound card.

What is your distance going to be from the speakers?

MaSh

Hello @MaSh

Speakers are to be placed along side TV and seating is approx 8 feet from TV. The Room is 14*10 and TV is on 14 feet wall and speaks are on selves on either side of the TV

Hello @MaSh

Speakers are to be placed along side TV and seating is approx 8 feet from TV. The Room is 14*10 and TV is on 14 feet wall and speaks are on selves on either side of the TV
I have used M50 connecting to a laptop as well Iphone5 without DAC. They sound too good, very immersive and addictive. But please be careful. They are near field speakers, too good to listen to at 3 to 4 feet distance. I am not sure how will be the experience from 8 ft distance. It has only a 3.5mm input. So plan your cables accordingly.

Hi @rajafan

That's true, even after searching a lot on web I can't find any "far field"2.1 system. Swans M10, M50, edifiers, logitech all are considered for near field listening.
Last option always seems soundbar or stereo amp :confused:

Hi @rajafan

That's true, even after searching a lot on web I can't find any "far field"2.1 system. Swans M10, M50, edifiers, logitech all are considered for near field listening.
Last option always seems soundbar or stereo amp :confused:

If ur budget permits you should be looking at Klipsch R-15PM Powered Bookshelf. I think it’s the best fit for ur requirements. One time buy & complete VFM. Check uBuy i think they are offering at Rs 23,845/- base price + shipping / import extra. I haven't bought in person on uBuy, might be other FM's can confirm / add.

Cheers,
Binu

I have read that Klipsch R15 have heating problems. I am considering Edifiers s2000pro or even the new s3000pro - but there seems to be no reviews for the new one as it’s just been launched in US

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back