Need help in making the ultimate budget htpc

Shan.Cr3w

Hello guys. This is my first post here, so sorry if I make any mistakes over here.

Now, I want to build an htpc for my room, my budget is not more than 10k as I am planning on salvaging old parts from my desktop
Configuration : dual core pentium 1.6 ghz
2 gb ram ddr2
500 gb hdd.
I won't be using anything apart from these three items.
So my question is what else would I need to build a good htpc which would be able to play and stream 1080p videos.
I don't need a DVD drive but want atleast a single usb 3.0 port
PS:I would love if I could get win 10 running, or atleast win 8.1

I think your system is good enough for a HTPC. Win 8.1 should not be a problem.

System requirements - Microsoft Windows

I hope your mobo has a pcie slot. To get a USB 3.0 feature, you might need something like this...

Transcend PCI Express Interface USB 3.0 Expansion Card:Amazon:Computers & Accessories

Get a low profile graphics card with hdmi... Like this...

ZOTAC GeForce GT 210 1GB DDR3 Graphic Card:Amazon:Computers & Accessories

I think you will be all set :)

Please note that the product links are for reference only.

I forgot to mention about the space constraints.I have really really less space for my pc so I expect a small form factor.
Can I use a micro itx motherboard and the above parts along with a compatible case?

Can I use a raspberry pi instead? I mean it won't be able to run Windows but there are many Linux distros for it. So will it be able to stream, play and cast @ 1080p?

A raspberry Pi with raspbmc would be cheap and good too. It has HDMI so 5.1 audio should work too. Do confirm though. Your old pc can be turned into a media server.

Did you do a Google search with your question ?
I remember seeing some posts on another forum where guys were discussing about using the Raspberry-pi for such applications.

You will find a huge list about the subject here:
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=u...&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=mcJjVsqoLsL8uATFhpWQCw
I Googled everything before posting here. But I found that some heavily encoded videos would stutter even on the raspberry Pi 2 so..
No raspberry pi period.

Guys will the ps3 or the Xbox 360 will be a better choice than building an htpc.
Coz it will save the hassle of building a rig, plus added advantage of gaming. Which 18 year old teen wouldn't like gaming?

I Googled everything before posting here. But I found that some heavily encoded videos would stutter even on the raspberry Pi 2 so..
No raspberry pi period.

You are absolutely right. Raspberry pi is not yet there to handle blu ray rips like 30-40 gigs files.
It is not intended to replace a HTPC or PS when movie playback is concerned.

Raspberry pi is fun.

One more aspect - one of the best audio transport IMHO.

Ya, I read somewhere that the raspberry pi has very professional sounding audio, and is goon enough a diy project. But my system would be used by my dad too and he prefers things simple so.. An already built media center is needed

Guys will the ps3 or the Xbox 360 will be a better choice than building an htpc.
Coz it will save the hassle of building a rig, plus added advantage of gaming. Which 18 year old teen wouldn't like gaming?

I have both PlayStation (3 and 4) and Xbox One, and both can be used, though the Xbox is a much better media center IMHO.

You can also consider budget Blu-ray players with external HDD for the same.

That said, HTPC will kill them both. For one it is upgradable, throw in a GPU (Nvidia) and you can upscale content to 4K, improve picture quality by leaps and bounds with software like madVR.

PS: I am an avid gamer and while I use both PlayStation and Xbox for their exclusive games, nothing like a PC for FPS and TPS games. Nothing like playing Grand Theft Auto on the PC. Nothing comes close.

I have both PlayStation (3 and 4) and Xbox One, and both can be used, though the Xbox is a much better media center IMHO.

You can also consider budget Blu-ray players with external HDD for the same.

That said, HTPC will kill them both. For one it is upgradable, throw in a GPU (Nvidia) and you can upscale content to 4K, improve picture quality by leaps and bounds with software like madVR.

PS: I am an avid gamer and while I use both PlayStation and Xbox for their exclusive games, nothing like a PC for FPS and TPS games. Nothing like playing Grand Theft Auto on the PC. Nothing comes close.
And yes Blu ray players I've got a Sony e4100 it's a 3d Blu-ray home theatre system... Its quite slow and the second ones a samsung... Doesn't have wifi so Blu ray doesn't se like quite an option to me

I dont think you can play 1080p videos on this cpu. Still if you want to use these parts then buy
- MB - one of those cheap chinese MBs . Use it till you can and save some money till then for better build next time.
- Elite 361 case by Cooler Master.
- Asus Xonar DG sound card.
- Corsair VS 350 if you dont plan to do proper gaming with gpu in next build. If yes then VS 450.

That should total upto arnd 10k.
Plus last 3 parts can be reused in next build after say 2yrs.

PS3 is a different route altogether. A PC can be used for other tasks like internet & ms-word and many others.

I dont think you can play 1080p videos on this cpu. Still if you want to use these parts then buy
- Asus Xonar DG sound card.

Yes you can. GT210 a sub 2k card can play 1080p videos and bit stream multichannel audio and GT610, a sub 3K card can play 1080p/3d videos and bit stream multichannel HD audio.

If the thread starter has an AVR, then there is no need for the Sound card.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back