Need Help what speakers to buy from US?

dpks

Dear Members,

I have previously purchased an Onkyo TXNR676 7.2ch 4K AVR with Dolby atoms from my friend from US couple of years back to build my first home theater but the day never came to realization and my AVR still lies box packed. Now that I am in US and travelling back on 1 Dec'23 I am planning to finish my setup and buy some speakers from here on black friday. currently the Front Speakers that I have shortlisted are ($ excl tax)
1. Elac Debut 2.0 6.5" ($240)
2. Klipsch RP 600M ($349) and 600M II ($419)
3. Triangle BR03 ($349)
other options are polks, Qacoustics (almost similar pricing +10/20% in India), Wharfe Diamond..
I plan to add a center channel but might not be able to carry.. for that I was thinking of same brand Klipsch R52C / Elac C5.2 or 6.2.. For rears same brand 5.2" / 4'' ones or any other good options... My requirement will be mix of music and movies (60-40).. with room size of 14x15.. but plan to upgrade to a better / bigger set up in future (1-1.5yr) as I plan to have a dedicated room of 16x25ft.. right now budget for speakers would be ~1.5lk to complete entire 5.1 set up with option of ceiling (low priority).. getting from US will save a lot of money which I can use to buy a good sub and rears in India.. your valuable recommendations would really help me decide on my first HiFI setup.

Additionally are there any other items which I can consider buying and save some money which will not take much space, as I have one full check-in bag empty for speakers / electronics..

Right now I only have Edifier R1700BT used primarily for music, bought this since I could not finish my setup...

Thanks,
Deepak

I think from above models you can choose the one which is more cheaper than in india. Carrying speakers will add more weight to the luggage and also u might need to pay custom duty as well. If you are also looking to buy Projectors, they are priced cheaper in USA, u may get one and they are easy to carry.

Dear Members,

I have previously purchased an Onkyo TXNR676 7.2ch 4K AVR with Dolby atoms from my friend from US couple of years back to build my first home theater but the day never came to realization and my AVR still lies box packed. Now that I am in US and travelling back on 1 Dec'23 I am planning to finish my setup and buy some speakers from here on black friday. currently the Front Speakers that I have shortlisted are ($ excl tax)
3. Triangle BR03 ($349)
other options are polks, Qacoustics (almost similar pricing +10/20% in India), Wharfe Diamond..
I plan to add a center channel but might not be able to carry.. for that I was thinking of same brand Klipsch R52C / Elac C5.2 or 6.2.. For rears same brand 5.2" / 4'' ones or any other good options... My requirement will be mix of music and movies (60-40).. with room size of 14x15.. but plan to upgrade to a better / bigger set up in future (1-1.5yr) as I plan to have a dedicated room of 16x25ft.. right now budget for speakers would be ~1.5lk to complete entire 5.1 set up with option of ceiling (low priority).. getting from US will save a lot of money which I can use to buy a good sub and rears in India.. your valuable recommendations would really help me decide on my first HiFI setup.

Additionally are there any other items which I can consider buying and save some money which will not take much space, as I have one full check-in bag empty for speakers / electronics..

Right now I only have Edifier R1700BT used primarily for music, bought this since I could not finish my setup...

Thanks,
Deepak
Hi,
My friend in USA using Klipsch brand and he is happy with it,
One advantage with Klipsch is high sensitivity so match to any amp easily ( it is easy to drive )

Consider IB brands also

More value for the money.
Thanks.. I can see elac in the list and know that Svs, emotiva are good.. Any specific suggestions if I carry only bookshelf will it be easier to match centre and surrounds easily in India?

I think from above models you can choose the one which is more cheaper than in india. Carrying speakers will add more weight to the luggage and also u might need to pay custom duty as well. If you are also looking to buy Projectors, they are priced cheaper in USA, u may get one and they are easy to carry.
Yes customs could be an issue.. but hoping it gets avoided if the price is less and since I won’t be carrying more expensive items.. Any suggestions on projectors ?

Hi,
My friend in USA using Klipsch brand and he is happy with it,
One advantage with Klipsch is high sensitivity so match to any amp easily ( it is easy to drive )
Yes Klipsch are high selling brand. About there sensitivity yes they say low but most of them doubt it.. anyways I am considering them, only thing is does the RPs justify the price difference over elac..?

Dear Members,

3. Triangle BR03 ($349)

Thanks,
Deepak
Buy Philharmonic BMR speakers for USD 1400-1500 in kit form . That is the best investment for your time.

Buy Philharmonic BMR speakers for USD 1400-1500 in kit form . That is the best investment for your time.
+1 for this. Also look into DIYSG kits which are value for money options and have higher sensitivity.

If DIY is something you're not comfortable with, get the Klipsch 600Ms from hifishark or usaudiomart.

Given the plethora of used options in the US, there's not point in paying the price for new speakers which carry a brand name.

Edit: if you can stretch your budget, KEF R3s are going for under $1k used which might actually be your endgame speakers.

+1 for this. Also look into DIYSG kits which are value for money options and have higher sensitivity.

If DIY is something you're not comfortable with, get the Klipsch 600Ms from hifishark or usaudiomart.

Given the plethora of used options in the US, there's not point in paying the price for new speakers which carry a brand name.

Edit: if you can stretch your budget, KEF R3s are going for under $1k used which might actually be your endgame speakers.
Thanks. But extending the budget will be difficult for me.. checked the used ones but Klipsch 600M is quoted at 300 while new is 350+ tax I feel getting new is better if Klipsch is selected..

Thanks all for your help.. I have finally got the Klipsch speakers RP600M as my front, R50M as rears and R52C as center channel.. was able to manage and get all these in my baggage.. though had to pay for excess weight.. might take me some time for me to set up and test.. Now the only pending item would be a good Subwoofer.. Any recommendation on this would be helpful..

Congratulations! Take your time to set them up to get the optimum sound. The dynamics from the Klipschs will give you goosebumps for sure

Thanks all for your help.. I have finally got the Klipsch speakers RP600M as my front, R50M as rears and R52C as center channel.. was able to manage and get all these in my baggage.. though had to pay for excess weight.. might take me some time for me to set up and test.. Now the only pending item would be a good Subwoofer.. Any recommendation on this would be helpful..
How much damage total?

Congratulations on your purchase. I assume you are carrying it your luggage trolleys? Where able to fit a pair of RP-600 in one trolley ?

Congratulations on your purchase. I assume you are carrying it your luggage trolleys? Where able to fit a pair of RP-600 in one trolley ?
Yes... I had used 78-80cm trolley fabric type as check in where I could fit one RP and the R50m pair used some clothes as cushion on sides/ top/ bottom.. the other RP I carried in a cabin baggage exact fit no room for anything.. I did not face any issues except the security check in US where they flagged and had my cabin bag checked but they were fine with it they asked is it for like guitar etc.. I said yes for music.. RP are really big and they are difficult to fit in one trolley.. usually the baggage restrictions are ~52-55 inches but mine I think was definitely bigger in size and also it crossed the 23kg limit I paid for excess baggage fee as it was 32kg.. usually size is not a concern only weight is.. I was flying Air India direct flight from San Francisco to Bengaluru.. so that avoided change of flight and additional baggage change handling risks..

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back