Need help with Setting my Onkyo 3300

coolcatric

Hi Guys !

I am currently using the following configuration -

1. Samsung P51 E550

2. Onkyo 3300

3. Asus O play mini

4. HDD with 1080

All connections are done via HDMI cable.

HDD >> Asus o Play >> AV reciever >> HDTV

I have no problem with the video quality.

My major concern is the Audio Quality. I have tried lot of permutations combinations.

Tried Auddessy settings as well. I am able to play on PL - II movie settings and Neo Cinema 6 : Movie.

But unable to select DTS / Dolby settings etc.

Please help me with other settings as well. Have played around with calibration etc settings.

But unable to select DTS / Dolby settings etc.

Unless your movies have audio in DTS or Dolby Digital (AC3) format, you won't see these options. Ensure that your movies have 5.1 audio. For most torrent downloads, the audio is in aac format which your AVR won't decode correctly. Set the player to send aac audio as multichannel pcm and dts and dolby digital in raw.

As stated by baijuxavior, make sure you do have media with multichannel audio.
Else download samples from here High Definition Trailers (HD) - Demo World. Click on the numbers under the column "Part:".
Set audio output in Asus O Play Mini as "HDMI RAW" under Setup --> Audio.

4928g.jpg

Play the above files.
This should do the trick.

Thank you for the usefull information. All my files are 10GB+ and have 6CH DTS. When i go to options using my Asus o player, it shows under audio as "DTS 6 CH".

So what i understand that i need to go to ASUS O player Audio settings.

Then do the above changes (set to HDMI RAW). This would enable Dolby digital settings in my AVR.

Pls correct me if wrong.

Also, how to increase the surround effect, the rear speakers rarely speak up, even on actions scenes !

Thank you for the usefull information. All my files are 10GB+ and have 6CH DTS. When i go to options using my Asus o player, it shows under audio as "DTS 6 CH".

So what i understand that i need to go to ASUS O player Audio settings.

Then do the above changes (set to HDMI RAW). This would enable Dolby digital settings in my AVR.

Pls correct me if wrong.

Also, how to increase the surround effect, the rear speakers rarely speak up, even on actions scenes !

Run the Audyssey setup if its available on HT-S3300, that will auto calibrate all the speakers to the desired sound level.

What exactly does turning HDMI RAW on does ?
HDMI RAW means that Asus O Play Mini won't touch the sound (i.e. try to decode it). It sends the audio out through the HDMI out port in the "raw" form (i.e. actual audio that is present in the media file you are playing). This "raw" audio is then taken in by HT-S3300 and decoded. So, all the decoding is done by HT-S3300. So, if HT-S3300 gets a real DTS/DD multichannel track as an input, you will see these options.

If HDMI is not set to RAW, then Asus O Play Mini will try to decode it and may convert 5.1 to stereo and do other things with it, and then send it out through the HDMI out port. So HT-S3300 may not get the real 5.1 audio as an input. Hence, you won't be able to see DTS/DD in HT-S3300.

Back