Need Inputs for my planned 5.1 HT setup

SanthoshMD

Hi Everyone,

Finally, I am in the market hunting for a decent Home Theater. I am willing to for separates this time. Previously I had Denon 1312xp HTIB.I really enjoyed it for 3 years. Now its time to upgrade. I have gone through various threads here.

So, I have finalised the below av receivers and speakers. But I would like your inputs. My usage is mostly 70% movies and 20% music. I am a BASS lover and I need to have a good bass without the muddy feeling
Budget around 1-1.5 lakhs

I have not auditioned any of them. But based on what I read so far. Many people are happy with Dali Zensor series and I like the Floorstanders

Receiver : Denon AVR-X1300W (Since it passes my requirements like 4k passthrough+Dolby Atmos+DTS:X + wifi + Bluetooth)
Speakers : Dali zensors 5 Floorstanders + Dali vokal + Dali zensor 1 OR Dali zensor 3 for surrounds.
Subwoofer not yet decided. Will build it later if Floorstanders are not sufficient. (Planning to go for BIC America F12 later)

My room is not big (10X10) and planning to move to a bigger location later. But this should not stop me from going for a good HT setup as this HT setup will be a long term plan

So, there are few questions here for experts who are using Dali range.

1. Is X1300W + Dali zensors 5 a good combination. I mean, am I doing justice for those speakers
2. Is there a need for subwoofer as I am having zensors 5 Floorstanders
3. Will the above combination without the subwoofer provide enough chest thumping bass without the muddy bass
4. Where can I audition Dali zensors 5 here in bangalore. I know it is difficult here to audition but still looking for options

Thanks in Advance !!

1.5L is a solid budget for setting up a decent HT

Receiver : Denon AVR-X1300W (Since it passes my requirements like 4k passthrough+Dolby Atmos+DTS:X + wifi + Bluetooth)
Now that you have tasted Denon, why not look at other brands like Marantz, also you can audition Yamaha or Pioneer AVRs.

Speakers : Dali zensors 5 Floorstanders + Dali vokal + Dali zensor 1 OR Dali zensor 3 for surrounds.
Dali Zensors are very good speakers, I have them and they are value for money. Dali Z3 for surrounds are not required, go for Z1 which is more than sufficient.
But I would suggest to also look at Polk Signature or Wharf Diamond series and then decide.

Subwoofer not yet decided. Will build it later if Floorstanders are not sufficient. (Planning to go for BIC America F12 later)
Sub is a must for a 70% movie watcher, without the sub the movie watching experience is incomplete.
Some FMs have mentioned that Dali Z5 lacks sufficient bass.....given that your room is 10x10, you can always decide to add at a sub later stage. I think Dali Z3 + Sub will be a deadly combo.

2. Is there a need for subwoofer as I am having zensors 5 Floorstanders
3. Will the above combination without the subwoofer provide enough chest thumping bass without the muddy bass
For Thumping bass, sub is a must.

4. Where can I audition Dali zensors 5 here in bangalore. I know it is difficult here to audition but still looking for options
You can call up HT Store and check if they got Dali Z5.

As you are in the hunting phase, keep your options open, audition multiple combinations and see what pleases you.
All the best.

Last edited:
My usage is mostly 70% movies and 20% music. I am a BASS lover and I need to have a good bass without the muddy feeling Budget around 1-1.5 lakhs

My room is not big (10X10) and planning to move to a bigger location later. But this should not stop me from going for a good HT setup as this HT setup will be a long term plan

Since you have a maximum budget of 1.5 Lacs, i would suggest you to re-use the 5 satellite speakers only that came along with 1312xp for surrounds, front-heights/ceiling speaker..

You may consider x3300 in place of x1300, very much capable AVR which has Audyssey platinum suite..x 300 should cost 100K in Pro Fx..

For remaining budget of 50K, you can consider fronts & center (or) new subwoofer..

Later when you move to new place, you can then decide on upgrading speakers..

1.5L is a solid budget for setting up a decent HT

Now that you have tasted Denon, why not look at other brands like Marantz, also you can audition Yamaha or Pioneer AVRs.

Dali Zensors are very good speakers, I have them and they are value for money. Dali Z3 for surrounds are not required, go for Z1 which is more than sufficient.
But I would suggest to also look at Polk Signature or Wharf Diamond series and then decide.

Sub is a must for a 70% movie watcher, without the sub the movie watching experience is incomplete.
Some FMs have mentioned that Dali Z5 lacks sufficient bass.....given that your room is 10x10, you can always decide to add at a sub later stage. I think Dali Z3 + Sub will be a deadly combo.

For Thumping bass, sub is a must.

You can call up HT Store and check if they got Dali Z5.

As you are in the hunting phase, keep your options open, audition multiple combinations and see what pleases you.
All the best.

Thanks for the reply. Even I thought of going for Z1 instead of Z3 for surrounds. Now I got an offer of around 48k for X2300 though grey market . Will also consider the brands mentioned above

Since you have a maximum budget of 1.5 Lacs, i would suggest you to re-use the 5 satellite speakers only that came along with 1312xp for surrounds, front-heights/ceiling speaker..

You may consider x3300 in place of x1300, very much capable AVR which has Audyssey platinum suite..x 300 should cost 100K in Pro Fx..

For remaining budget of 50K, you can consider fronts & center (or) new subwoofer..

Later when you move to new place, you can then decide on upgrading speakers..

Thanks for replying. I am actually selling my 1312xp, so I can't use them. I think x3300 is an over kill for me both in terms of money and considering the space. I am now planning with X2300 as I found a dealer who is offering it @ 49k without warranty. I am still thinking

When do you expect to move to a bigger place and how big would that be.
I think elangos's idea is good. I would be concerned about a lot of large speakers in a small room. Get Z1 for fronts now and shift them to rear in the new place

Now I got an offer of around 48k for X2300 though grey market . Will also consider the brands mentioned above

If you are consider getting it in grey, x 3300 should be less..

I think x3300 is an over kill for me both in terms of money and considering the space.

x3300 is worth it for the features it offers.. 10 x 10 room should be good for 9.1 atleast if not 9.2.. ( 4 over head speakers)..

I am able to see only 7 screws for speakers in denon x3300 and i dont see any preouts to use extra amps as well. Now my doubt is that now how would u people run 5.1.4 setup? Just curious to ask this question

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I am able to see only 7 screws for speakers in denon x3300 and i dont see any preouts to use extra amps as well. Now my doubt is that now how would u people run 5.1.4 setup? Just curious to ask this question

It is a 7.2 capable AVR with 7.2 Pre-outs only, would have been really good if they had provided 9.2 pre-outs..You can add additional amplifier for any of the 7 channels.. 5.2.2 is the best possible config..

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back