Hello friends

i want to buy a new stylus for the Philips EG 1400 ,

Please recommend me either compatible or exact stylus

Tanoj

Last edited:
Hi Tanoj,

Pl go thro the link below :

Turntable Needles - Leading Source of Record Player Parts

If you are lucky, you may find a match for your cartridge. Alternatively there are a lot of good cartridges in the mid-range for less than $100.

Namely AT95E, sells at $50 is an all rounder,
SHURE M97xE - sells at $ 90 CD like sound , has slightly rolled off Treble.
AT 120E - has good reviews, sells at $90 from LP Gear
Ortofon Red at $100 has also good reviews,

Add another $20 for postage to arrive at landed cost in India, still worth the price.

I have used the AT 95E, with its stock stylus as well as the AT95C stylus and was very much impressed with the sound, see link below :

LP Gear ATN-95C stylus,LP Gear ATN 95C stylus,LP Gear ATN95C stylus,LP Gear ATN-95C needle stylus,LP Gear ATN 95C needle stylus,LP Gear ATN95C needle stylus,LP Gear ATN-95C stylus needle,LP Gear ATN 95C stylus needle,LP Gear ATN95C stylus needle,LP G

I am also planning to buy the foll stylus shortly :

LP Gear ATN-95SE stylus,LP Gear ATN 95SE stylus,LP Gear ATN95SE stylus,LP Gear ATN-95SE needle stylus,LP Gear ATN 95SE needle stylus,LP Gear ATN95SE needle stylus,LP Gear ATN-95SE stylus needle,LP Gear ATN 95SE stylus needle,LP Gear ATN95SE stylus ne

As a thumb rule the finer the size of the stylus the better it sounds, and picks up less surface noise from the grooves, which ultimately results in great details and reveals the nuances in the recording.

Pl try to audition the stylus if anyone has them at Hyderabad, or else you are always welcome to my place, if you happen to be at Chennai.

Hope this helps,

N.Murali

Hi Murali,

Could you provide me with your contact number as I require a Stylus Cartridge no EG 1400 for a Philips player. My number is 9940099227 and my mail Id is [email protected] alternate number 04424611606 (my dad Michael). This is actually for my dad's player.

Looking fwd to hear from you.

Regards,
Vimal

Hi Tanoj,

Pl go thro the link below :

Turntable Needles - Leading Source of Record Player Parts

If you are lucky, you may find a match for your cartridge. Alternatively there are a lot of good cartridges in the mid-range for less than $100.

Namely AT95E, sells at $50 is an all rounder,
SHURE M97xE - sells at $ 90 CD like sound , has slightly rolled off Treble.
AT 120E - has good reviews, sells at $90 from LP Gear
Ortofon Red at $100 has also good reviews,

Add another $20 for postage to arrive at landed cost in India, still worth the price.

I have used the AT 95E, with its stock stylus as well as the AT95C stylus and was very much impressed with the sound, see link below :

LP Gear ATN-95C stylus,LP Gear ATN 95C stylus,LP Gear ATN95C stylus,LP Gear ATN-95C needle stylus,LP Gear ATN 95C needle stylus,LP Gear ATN95C needle stylus,LP Gear ATN-95C stylus needle,LP Gear ATN 95C stylus needle,LP Gear ATN95C stylus needle,LP G

I am also planning to buy the foll stylus shortly :

LP Gear ATN-95SE stylus,LP Gear ATN 95SE stylus,LP Gear ATN95SE stylus,LP Gear ATN-95SE needle stylus,LP Gear ATN 95SE needle stylus,LP Gear ATN95SE needle stylus,LP Gear ATN-95SE stylus needle,LP Gear ATN 95SE stylus needle,LP Gear ATN95SE stylus ne

As a thumb rule the finer the size of the stylus the better it sounds, and picks up less surface noise from the grooves, which ultimately results in great details and reveals the nuances in the recording.

Pl try to audition the stylus if anyone has them at Hyderabad, or else you are always welcome to my place, if you happen to be at Chennai.

Hope this helps,

N.Murali

Dear Murali,
Greetings from Pune!

I am taking a chance here hoping I find you log-in and provide me with some requested guidance. Up there, almost a decade ago, some pearls relevant to date having squandered here, were my first input to the hope of recovering my old friends (turntables) I have.
I too have one Philips electronics 242 (Type 15GA242/01S) which had been shut since 1995 shortly after Philips EG1400 was changed and Classic 700 was installed. The changeover was almost fatal till now when I was wanting to return to my old music, even the faults as they existed over the past decades on some LPs, a couple of them broken due poor and immature handling by some dear friends of the great days.
While looking for new affordable turntables, I moved from getting spoilt by choices to confused with the number of brands and types and pretty much taken aback by the price tags. With a 3 speed swing arm ON/OFF philipsturntable, a philips electronics 242 and an HMV gramaphone without horn, being with LPs seem to have taken a circle across the era of cassettes, CD/DVD/data sticks of the digital era and now returning the true pleasures of the LPs.
Please advise me if you can with your choice of turntables I could access sitting in Pune, from across the world, affordable to pocket :0) [retd from armed forces], and how best i could return to some affordable source of LPs.
In trying to recover the available turntables would be a good idea after I have returned to my music at the earliest. Never the less, even in recovering Electronics 242, i need your advise on the best stylus/cartridge replacement I must go for.
I know you may find it hard to look at a choice that may never be advisable to a person build to live his/her own choice. But a music lover like you, is bound to come up a practical advise, and should that turn out to be expensive to me, I will try to put my money together in the months or years to come and acquire it.
I have a Classic Enn Bee with the system of Classic G-axis 4000 RMS that runs through a Matrix after a One Set of Power Amp and a Pre-Amp built for two sets of Power Amp and infusion of (-)G axis, which I hear at 10-25% volume. A system for which I put my one time effort when I first saw it in 1972 at the expo in Delhi. The owner and designer Mr Nakra, brought me to afford it in right time and allowed me the rare privilege of owning one out of the six systems he had custom built. A very close and dear friend of Bose, I never realised I was at the heart of professional music since 1972 till I purchased my system from Mr Nakra in 1995. It is a professional system and I am not the best person capable of exploiting its potential I know, may not even deserve to own it. But given that it has 24 channels of equalizers, each +/- 12 db for each spot, my ears now hardly take these fine changes having lost them to fighter jets and over dose of rock festivals :)
Yet, to do justice to a good system, if I must recover the qualitative side of the old beans assets, I must get quality hardware to match with the beast. I hope to find you reply to let me take this forwards. :licklips:

Hi All,

I would suggest you reach out to 'shafic' who is quite experienced with vintage audio gear and definitely he will help out....

Hi Vimal
If you like another cartridge and stylus then I can help you.I have some cartridges and compatible stylus.my no is 9312587696.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back