New 5.1 HT - Help please with AVR + speakers

anandsaraf

Hi folks,

Need your expert guidance for the new HT room I am building at home.

I have been reading all the threads on the forum and they have been really useful in planning/building this room. I started with a budget of 2L for the room but am now realizing that it may exceed this by some amount.

The plan as of now is:
1. Screen on one wall - size 92" (80x45) - originally planned for fixed-frame but now am planning a pull-down since I was quoted ~30K for a fixed-frame grandview, which is not in my budget. I believe I need to get 1.3 gain screen since I also intend to watch 3D on it?

2. In front of the screen is a media-cabinet unit that I already have and had built for this purpose (~78" W x 30.5" H).

3. I want to mount the screen at 7' height so that it ends at 36" above ground and then place center speaker on the media-cabinet.

4. Two front tower speakers on either side of the cabinet - I initially listened to QAcoustics and PSB BS speakers and didn't like them and am now preferring FS speakers - although I am likely to use the room for 70% movies and only 30% music - I am keen that the music sound good... and I didn't like the range of the bookshelves for the music.

5. One sub-woofer on one end of the wall.

6. Projector is HD300X which I ordered and received from Amazon. I tried projecting it in my room onto the MDF wall - PQ looks great and contrast is very nice. At my 12ft throw distance - I am getting exactly 80"x45" 16:9 projection.

7. AVR - I had shortlisted Marantz SR5006, Yamaha RX-V671 and Denon 1912. I believe it is better to buy the Denon 2112CI based on some reading today - but don't know availablilty/pricing here.

8. I am really confused about the speakers - I didn't like the BS. I thought the Qacoustics 2050 towers were nice but I quite liked Deftech 8020ST. Also heard the Tannoy entry-tower and mid-range tower and liked the mid-range. Yet to listen to the Wharfedale... been reading that the Deftech bipolars are overpriced and hard to place because of built-in subwoofer - and I have very little room for adjusting the placement. I have also been recommended the Magnat 1000 but have not yet listened to them. (If it helps - I am not a big heavy metal fan but more towards jazz/vocals/etc).

I had planned a 1L budget for the AVR and speakers but can go upto 1.2L. But these speakers are all going outside my budget. I am wondering whether I should just buy the front and center right now and buy the sub/sorround later, although I prefer not to do that and would like to buy everything in this budget and complete the room. I prefer to buy the AVR+speakers with B&W.

Please do give your suggestions for choice of AVR as well as recommended speakers for this room.

Thanks!

Attachments

• ht-0807.jpg
    ht-0807.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 167
Yamaha RX-V671 36k with Paradigm Monitor 9 55k with a decent Sub Velodyne Impact 10 24k will come in your budget. You can add rear speaker later and don't spend too much on Dipole speaker they will be in use only for surround.

Yamaha RX-V671 36k with Paradigm Monitor 9 55k with a decent Sub Velodyne Impact 10 24k will come in your budget. You can add rear speaker later and don't spend too much on Dipole speaker they will be in use only for surround.

Hi Utkarsh

Thanks for the suggestions. I have to find out and go listen to Paradigm speakers - not sure who keeps them in Bangalore.

You can get Paradigm at HTStore.in, uniquesys.in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You can get Paradigm at HTStore.in, uniquesys.in

Thanks Utkarsh.. I have shortlisted a couple so far - can you tell me your opinion:
1. Wharfedale Diamond 10.5 + 20.CM + 10.DFS + SW150
2. Polk Audio TSI400 or TSI500 + CS20 + TSI100 + PSW110
3. Tannoy Mercury V4 package with Velodyne sub

Have liked all three - what do you think?

With Polk, drop the TSi and go with RTi series (RTi 7 or higher). I am sure this is an opinion which will be echoed by quite a few people.

+1 for RTI series.
Tannoy V4 is good if have budget is <40k.
Audition Aviano 6 it's a good FS for the price.

What AVR are in your list.

Well the RTI A7 is really pushing my budget so am not sure... :sad:

As for the AVR, I had initially thought of the Yamaha RX-V671, Marantz 5006 and Denon 1912. Kind of not preferring the Marantz now - the ProFX guy said Denon 2113 should be available in a couple of weeks with MRP of 49950 - so am thinking of going with that..

What is the fun in getting a relatively good AVR and then tagging it to speakers which don't do justice to it? :) If you are not willing to stretch for RTi series then I would recommend not exploring Polk.

You checked out KEF (Q series), Energy (CF series) and Paradigm (Monitor series)? KEF and Paradigm are relatively bright while Energy is a warm speaker. I thought Energy sounded super with Onkyo AVRs (Onkyo being brighter).

While I am yet to hear Sonodyne myself, I would say - why not give them a dekko? I have heard their floor standers are highly under rated.

Last edited:
Well the RTI A7 is really pushing my budget so am not sure... :sad:

As for the AVR, I had initially thought of the Yamaha RX-V671, Marantz 5006 and Denon 1912. Kind of not preferring the Marantz now - the ProFX guy said Denon 2113 should be available in a couple of weeks with MRP of 49950 - so am thinking of going with that..

@anandsaraf.... As you've pushed your budget already, can I suggest you to take a look at Yamaha RX-A810? Just found the comparison between Marantz & Yamaha. I really don't have any explanation why someone should spend more money while getting the same features (both in marantz and yamaha). But still I liked Yamaha more than anything else. :) Marantz is having airplay whereas Yamaha has its own streaming service.

For speakers... I'd like to give you one good piece of advice (which I received from this very forum while selecting speakers for me).
Audition... audition and audition. Try all the brands before selecting.

All branded bookshelves/floorstanders can produce very good sound quality at mid or higher volume. Try to find a set which can provide the same clarity (or quality) at lower volume as well. If you are going for 2 way speakers, check that the midrange is coming clear.

BTW... I auditioned Dali Zensor1, Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 and Monitor Audio BX2. Finally I picked up MA BX2s as it was having deeper bass, clearer mid range and performed excellent at lower volume.

What is the fun in getting a relatively good AVR and then tagging it to speakers which don't do justice to it? :) If you are not willing to stretch for RTi series then I would recommend not exploring Polk.

Yes, as you rightly put it, I thought the same way and ruled out the Polks from the list.

So that left the Wharfedale Diamond 10.5 and Tannoy. I had a listen of the Tannoy Mercury V4 today and really liked the sound. So finalized on the Tannoy with Velodyne sub.

@saikat - Thank you for the good suggestions. You will be pleased to know that earlier this evening I more-or-less finalized on the RX-A810 :) and told them I would confirm tomorrow morning. Your post has helped me get that final surety about the 810 and I have decided to go with that!

All in all - the speakers + AVR working out to 1.3L.

Will update further as things proceed further... thanks for all the great inputs! Am really looking forward to getting it all setup!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back