new ps3 slim but....

manu4panjab

hey brothers today just bought new ps3 slim but want to know when i set audio to bitstream i hear crackling noise from all of my speakers but when i change it back to lpcm crackling noise disappear fully is it issue with ps3 slim and onkyo 807 or what

please describe anyone....

It may be an issue with how the AVR is handling bitstreamed audio. However, it does not make a huge amount of difference as to where the audio is decoded. If you're having no problems with PCM, I suggest you leave it at that. Maybe, when you upgrade your AVR, you can try out Bitstream again, and see if the problem recurs.

I have been using Bitstream on my PS3 Slim 250GB since March this year without any problem. The audio is output to Pioneer VSX-919AH-K receiver.

Just out of curiosity, what connection did you have between the PS3 and the receiver? A High-Speed HDMI cable is best.

Bitstream, means the PS3 would send out the sound signal untouched. So I highly doubt the PS3 is the cause of the issue here, but I could be wrong.

The PS3 slim sucks. The most unscrupulous piece of merchandise ever brought out by the Sony Corp so far,IMO. The earlier PHAT versions were machines to be reckoned with. I have one and I have used it for audio CD playback to good effect thru the stereo analog outputs, not to mention that it serves as a full fledged computer with linux Os like ubuntu and/or yellow dog (no updates by fixstars since 6.2). Sony not only discontinued that ability in the slim versions but also very unscrupulously took away that capability thru an online update in Mar/Apr 2010. My cousin has the slim one and regrets buying it against my advice. You see, the slim vs phat scene may have something to do with the problems that the OP is facing. I am not sure but I do have a strong hunch to that effect. Never heard of a problem like this with the Phat version.

Last edited:
Is it that your problem is only with a specific disc (or upnp streamed file?) or all movies? I remember having same issue with ASUS O Play Air while plying some selected files but usually changing the audio output mode from RAW LPCM, etc used to resolve it.

It's definitely not your PS3. But to know what is the real culprit, you'll have to elaborate on your situation a bit more..

1) What exactly are you trying to bitstream..BD(DTS MA/DTHD) or something else?
2) What cable.."high speed" or a generic cable?

*Some Okyos in the past have had problems with their DTS-MA decoding chips..cracking..loud popping noises etc. Maybe that's the case OR

*Your HDMI cable is not certified for HD Audio

Last edited:
Me No AVR NO MORE !!!
Them Goddamn things, They don't know what they are doin'
Better to have a DVD/BD player/HDD based media player
with
5.1/7.1 analogue out,
built-in DAC/upscaling AV processors etc
and use 3/4 budget stereo amps for 5/7 channels
(one channel lying vacant in either case)
with a separate mono/stereo amp for the subwoofer
(either a mono with at least 150w rms or
a stereo bridge-able one with near power handling capacity, assuming that the driver dia is not more than 12 inches. In case it is, or has to be, go for more power, class D plate amps do fine for sub duty)

Last edited:
I have been using PS3 with my Onkyo 709 for 4 months with Bitstreaming, never faced one bit of problem. Seems OP is missing some point here, could you tell us a little more abut the entire hookup and what all options selected with in PS3 settings.

It's definitely not your PS3. But to know what is the real culprit, you'll have to elaborate on your situation a bit more..

1) What exactly are you trying to bitstream..BD(DTS MA/DTHD) or something else?
2) What cable.."high speed" or a generic cable?

*Some Okyos in the past have had problems with their DTS-MA decoding chips..cracking..loud popping noises etc. Maybe that's the case OR

*Your HDMI cable is not certified for HD Audio

To me the problem seems to be with your HDMI cable and the rest I can say once you elaborate the situation in detail.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back