New turn table options

snath

I am in the look out for a TT to convert my old carnatic LP's.

The previous one I had (from Sonodyne) had a lot of hum in the audio (when connected to my Creative sound card) and hene the quality of recording was not that good.

My budget is 10K. Options are welcome.

regards
snath

AFAIK, you may either have to enhance your budget or go for pre-owned. Or find out about the numark series usb TTs.
And yes, I agree with stevieboy about the grounding bit. Get it checked by a pro and you may not have to go in for a new tt at all. If the platter turns and the stylus makes music, the rest is easily repairable. I suggest you get the entire cable setup done anew as cable insulation sheath becomes brittle over time. Use good quality copper cable only both for IC and power cord. If there is a hum even when the platter isnt turning, you may have to get the transformer & motor checked too.
Hope this helps

Last edited:
Appreciate your inputs Steve.

I grounded the TT and yet the hum did not go. Probably it was an issue with the TT itself. The hum could be heard when playing too.

I like to do the conversion myself as I enjoy doing so and hence never outsourcing it ocurred to me.

will check with pranab.

Thanks
snath

I grounded the TT and yet the hum did not go. Probably it was an issue with the TT itself. The hum could be heard when playing too.

I like to do the conversion myself as I enjoy doing so and hence never outsourcing it ocurred to me.

will check with pranab.

Thanks
snath

IMO, unless you plan to procure more vinyl and listen to it, perhaps it would be better to get the conversion outsourced. But if you have only a few LPs to convert and are not going to listen to them post-conversion, then there's no pt spending so much. Just my two phooti kaudis.
Regards

Hi Snath,

In this case, Trittya has given you some good advice, you might not even need a new TT! Murthy who runs a tool shop on commercial street, after the police station might be able to help you trouble shoot. He redid a member's tonearm once and has a soft spot for enthusiastic audio guys.

Regards

Steve,

Apprecieat the contact. By any chance can you provide any contact details shop name??, number ??

regards
swami

Jimmy,

The link you provided the items seems to be in US. I do not believe Amazon site accepts indian credit cards or is ok to shipping to Indian address.

The prices quoted though look good with lot of options.

regards
snath

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back