New version of Audioquest Dragonfly DAC

I got the old version at the $99 price for use with my sennheiser 555's, but I was also curious about the fact that its 2v output could be used in a regular system. So I hooked it up to my 2nd system replacing musical fidelity xDACv3 and I was amazed. It sounded great for its price, nice instrument separation, soundstage depth and width, tonality, bass extension . Sounded excellent on female vocals. Slightly on the cooler side but not distractingly so, slight roughness on treble are its drawbacks but who cares at its price. I am really impressed what Audioquest has achieved with this. A no brainer recommendation for someone looking for a versatile DAC to be used both in portable or main systems with computer audio.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Now we know the reason why the original Audioquest Dragonfly DAC was recently discounted by several online retailers - there's a new version of it out and it costs $149. Details here.

Hey, off topic, but curious, why not just get tubes?
Plenty of tube preamps/amps used and new.....

I have tubes :).

Thanks , I am also getting one. Looks like the signature you described more suitable for my setup

Excellent killerbrain, please post your impressions as well. Also I am not sure how much improvement the 3.5mm pin adapter will make but I got a cheap Rs.150 unit on snapdeal. The Audioquest unit is about $15, I will plan to get it and see if it helps the sound a bit.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Sure sidvee , I also purchased the audioquest brand DAC to rca connector , hope that is decent

I suspect that in build quality it will be significantly superior, because the unit I have feels very cheaply built, and perhaps translate into improved SQ as well.
Cheers,
Sid

Great going Sid, I'm glad you're having so much fun with reasonably priced gear. I know some folks don't like my espousal of such equipment but it's something I believe in.
You may think about getting some sort of extension for the USB output on your computer too, may make hook-up easier especially if you're using heavy cables to connect to the music system.
As for me, I'm waiting for my Geek Pulse and Geek Out to arrive in June!

Last edited:
Sure sidvee , I also purchased the audioquest brand DAC to rca connector , hope that is decent

What is that, killerbrain? Is it a 3.5mm to RCA? One of those "triangular" things with the plug at the sharp end and the RCA sockets on the flat side? Or something different?

Or is it a cable with 3.5mm on one end and RCA on the other. Whilst on needs a boxful of miscellaneous adaptors for emergencies, I dislike them on principle and would always rather use a single cable with the correct terminations.

Thad

I bought the one below, what is the one you are referring to as 'triangular' things, will it connect to 3.5 mm ? isn,t for the headphone with the mic

I am confused now if the interconnect below connect to the drangonfly without any issues

Amazon.com: AUDIOQUEST - EVERGREEN MINI-TO-RCA 2.0M: Electronics

I think this should work fine and I am presuming what Thad is referring to is that Sidvee is using an adapter of Y shaped to which he has connected a 2RCA cables. Unlike yours which is with Y shaped cable with RCA.

asliarun said:
... a comparison of the Dragonfly with Halide.

And I'd like to add the M2Tech hiFace to that list :)

But... I have a simple, practical worry about "pen-drive" format DACs. It is that hanging the DAC plus its connected cable, is going to stress the USB port and, ultimately, damage the motherboard. This concern is mainly for full-size PCs: it is less of a worry for laptops. And I guess such products were made with laptop in mind.

And I'd like to add the M2Tech hiFace to that list :)

But... I have a simple, practical worry about "pen-drive" format DACs. It is that hanging the DAC plus its connected cable, is going to stress the USB port and, ultimately, damage the motherboard. This concern is mainly for full-size PCs: it is less of a worry for laptops. And I guess such products were made with laptop in mind.

Fair enough. I still feel a bit wary that these itsy bitsy devices can give better performance than the chunkier DACs , many of which are in the same price bracket!

The technology seems to have been successfully miniaturised. I don't discriminate on the size, or even the price. Especially since I heard that absurdly cheap HifyMeDIY! (admittedly: modded). I just worry about hanging it off a socket, especially if a heavier cable is used.

(No: I'm not suggesting putting HifiMeDIY up against, say, an Antelope! Or even the mini-DACs under discussion here. Although it would be an interesting comparison, considering the price multipliers involved.)

Miniturisation comes with its own potential problems, though, eg component life.

ok, I got the dragonfly DAC and AudioQuest IC and connected with Exposure 2010S2 driving Spendor S5e , Also tried it with Naim XS2 . Overall Happy with the SQ . It is not bright in this system . Right amount of sparkle and mid is rich , bass is slightly more but bass quality is good . synergy is better compared to the AudioGD in this system .

My only ask is a bit more spacing stuff , which would have been good ,but no real complain at this price .

Also heard it with a Bose Headphone ( friend's ) and liked it .

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back