(Noob) MQA and Hifi setup for Tidal (within existing setup)

msankadi

Hi

I have recently started using Tidal on my existing setup: NUC (7th gen i3+16gigs ram) --> (via HDMI) HTR 3072 --> Boston Acoustics Soundware xs

I have a few simple questions:

1. Does a simple NUC have the capability to play MQA? How much throughput can HDMI and 3.5mm ports drive?
- Somehow when I connect through the 3.5mm to aux on my avr sound is really bad so I have started using HDMI
2. I get PCM signal from Tidal and Tidal shows Master in its Windows app. However, I am not sure if this reaches the ports or is there any intermediary that is needed?
3. I also signed up for Audirvana trial today as well, it shows 16bit 88khz for mqa tracks on the right, is there any advantage of using this app (Roon is crazy expensive) at my level of hardware and journey?
4. With my existing setup would I see any benefit of going from 320kbps to Hifi to MQA?
5. What is the cheapest addition I can do to my setup which will give me the biggest jump in my audio quality?

I have tried to describe the pertinent info based on my noob info. Please feel free to ask for any other details that I have missed?

Hi

I have recently started using Tidal on my existing setup: NUC (7th gen i3+16gigs ram) --> (via HDMI) HTR 3072 --> Boston Acoustics Soundware xs

I have a few simple questions:

1. Does a simple NUC have the capability to play MQA? How much throughput can HDMI and 3.5mm ports drive?
- Somehow when I connect through the 3.5mm to aux on my avr sound is really bad so I have started using HDMI
HDMI will usually be better than 3.5mm due to a number of reasons including, but not limited tot he fact that the PC is using its internal DAC to convert digital data to analog audio before it can be output through the 3.5mm. The internal DAC is usually no good (certain motherboards have ESS Sabre DACs so they may be decent). When you transmit data through HDMI, your HTRs internal DAC does the decoding in which case, it will usually be much better than the internal PC one.
2. I get PCM signal from Tidal and Tidal shows Master in its Windows app. However, I am not sure if this reaches the ports or is there any intermediary that is needed?
You need MQA capable hardware. Having said that, in my chain, I haven't been able to tell the difference between MQA and Hifi tracks on Tidal. My chain is PC>Ifi Zen DAC(this is what decodes MQA in my chain)>Ifi 4.4mm Pentaconn to XLR Balanced cable>Cambridge Audio CXA81>Mogami 2972 speaker cables (bi-wired)>Quad S5. The Quads are damn revealing speakers and the CXA81 is a reasonably decent amp with good detail retrieval and i'm using balanced cables but still can't tell the difference. No point going down this rabbit hole. It'll be money burnt. Also, there's this huge controversy about MQA elsewhere in the forum which you might wanna check out.
3. I also signed up for Audirvana trial today as well, it shows 16bit 88khz for mqa tracks on the right, is there any advantage of using this app (Roon is crazy expensive) at my level of hardware and journey?
4. With my existing setup would I see any benefit of going from 320kbps to Hifi to MQA?
Save the money if you can control the itch.
5. What is the cheapest addition I can do to my setup which will give me the biggest jump in my audio quality?
Change your speakers. Get yourself a decent pair of bookshelfs (something like the Mission QX2 - 27K or the Mission LX2 - 17k). They'll give you the most significant jump for not so much money considering your current speakers and Amp. Small Incremental upgrades on cables, DACs etc won't yield you substantial gains considering your budget (i'm assuming not more than 30K)
I have tried to describe the pertinent info based on my noob info. Please feel free to ask for any other details that I have missed?

HDMI will usually be better than 3.5mm due to a number of reasons including, but not limited tot he fact that the PC is using its internal DAC to convert digital data to analog audio before it can be output through the 3.5mm. The internal DAC is usually no good (certain motherboards have ESS Sabre DACs so they may be decent). When you transmit data through HDMI, your HTRs internal DAC does the decoding in which case, it will usually be much better than the internal PC one.

You need MQA capable hardware. Having said that, in my chain, I haven't been able to tell the difference between MQA and Hifi tracks on Tidal. My chain is PC>Ifi Zen DAC(this is what decodes MQA in my chain)>Ifi 4.4mm Pentaconn to XLR Balanced cable>Cambridge Audio CXA81>Mogami 2972 speaker cables (bi-wired)>Quad S5. The Quads are damn revealing speakers and the CXA81 is a reasonably decent amp with good detail retrieval and i'm using balanced cables but still can't tell the difference. No point going down this rabbit hole. It'll be money burnt. Also, there's this huge controversy about MQA elsewhere in the forum which you might wanna check out.

Save the money if you can control the itch.

Change your speakers. Get yourself a decent pair of bookshelfs (something like the Mission QX2 - 27K or the Mission LX2 - 17k). They'll give you the most significant jump for not so much money considering your current speakers and Amp. Small Incremental upgrades on cables, DACs etc won't yield you substantial gains considering your budget (i'm assuming not more than 30K)

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Couple of followup questions:

1. Without worrying about MQA -> Is my existing setup good for Hifi? Would I benefit from cd quality vs 320 kbps in terms of sound?

2. Get yourself a decent pair of bookshelfs (something like the Mission QX2 - 27K or the Mission LX2 - 17k). They'll give you the most significant jump for not so much money considering your current speakers and Amp. Small Incremental upgrades on cables, DACs etc won't yield you substantial gains considering your budget (i'm assuming not more than 30K)

>> Thanks I will consider this when I get the budget next time, problem comes with space as well, as I have both my TV and projector setup in my room. When I play on projector I move the speakers (it is at 90 degrees to the TV) and then move them back to their original places when it is used for TV. With bookshelves this wont be possible at all.
>> Also, would i be able to sell off 2 of my existing speakers, how much do you think I can expect for it?

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Couple of followup questions:

1. Without worrying about MQA -> Is my existing setup good for Hifi? Would I benefit from cd quality vs 320 kbps in terms of sound?
I have no idea how the BA XS sounds. Having said that, I have the Boston Acoustics A26 and think they are fantastic for the price and definitely more than capable of revealing the differences and benefits of a better source.
2. Get yourself a decent pair of bookshelfs (something like the Mission QX2 - 27K or the Mission LX2 - 17k). They'll give you the most significant jump for not so much money considering your current speakers and Amp. Small Incremental upgrades on cables, DACs etc won't yield you substantial gains considering your budget (i'm assuming not more than 30K)

>> Thanks I will consider this when I get the budget next time, problem comes with space as well, as I have both my TV and projector setup in my room. When I play on projector I move the speakers (it is at 90 degrees to the TV) and then move them back to their original places when it is used for TV. With bookshelves this wont be possible at all.
If you don't mind lugging the bookshelf, it shouldn't be a problem. Depends on how much you value sound quality over convenience. Better yet, get yourself two pairs of bookshelf for both setups. ;)
>> Also, would i be able to sell off 2 of my existing speakers, how much do you think I can expect for it?
You'll have to check what they're selling for in the used market.

Last edited:
I have no idea how the BA XS sounds. Having said that, I have the Boston Acoustics A26 and think they are fantastic for the price and definitely more than capable of revealing the differences and benefits of a better source.

If you don't mind lugging the bookshelf, it shouldn't be a problem. Depends on how much you value sound quality over convenience. Better yet, get yourself two pairs of bookshelf for both setups. ;)

You'll have to check what they're selling for in the used market.
If I upgrade to Taga Harmony TAV 506? Would that be a good upgrade over my current speakers?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back