Not getting surround on my recently purchased Denon 1311. Please help!!!

shail

Hi all,
I have purchased a Denon AVR 1311 with Polkaudio RM6750. I have connected TV's audio out (optical) to the AVR. Now, when I play HD (720p or 1080p) videos (music or movies), I am not getting surround sound effect at all! Is it because of the optical cable (that it does support surround) or because of some setting that I need to do in AVR? If optical does not support surround, will co-ax work?

What do I need to do to play movies at true HD surround from my USB drive connected to my TV (my tv supports all leading AV formats including mkv, dvd, avi, divx etc)???
Does any one has a similar set up? Even if not, any expert comments from you experienced members?

Please help me!

Thanks,
Shail

Hi all,
I have purchased a Denon AVR 1311 with Polkaudio RM6750. I have connected TV's audio out (optical) to the AVR. Now, when I play HD (720p or 1080p) videos (music or movies), I am not getting surround sound effect at all! Is it because of the optical cable (that it does support surround) or because of some setting that I need to do in AVR? If optical does not support surround, will co-ax work?

What do I need to do to play movies at true HD surround from my USB drive connected to my TV (my tv supports all leading AV formats including mkv, dvd, avi, divx etc)???
Does any one has a similar set up? Even if not, any expert comments from you experienced members?

Please help me!

Thanks,
Shail

Few questions:

Do you have surround speakers setup?/
How are the connections between all your components?
What media information are you playing? are these downloaded content or from DVDs or TV broadcast
What are the DSP settings on your AVR (is it Dolby Digital, DTS, ...)

One of my friend has Samsung. He has a same problem. His TV downmixes eveything to 2 Ch Audio. Maybe you are facing same issue.

Check options on the TV, Probably you can change Sound Out as Dolby Digital Out.

I have purchased a Denon AVR 1311 with Polkaudio RM6750. I have connected TV's audio out (optical) to the AVR. Now, when I play HD (720p or 1080p) videos (music or movies), I am not getting surround sound effect at all!

Most probably, the TV output is two channel. The best way to confirm is to go to Speaker set-up and confirm that all the speakers are working. Next, connect a DVD player and try a movie you are positive has Dolby Digital and/or DTS.

Cheers

Hi Shail ,
If you have connected by optical you will be getting, Try the surround options in ur Denon AVR remote, Neo-6, pro logics, DTS effects. on the restorer.should help u the effect..

The TV can output 5.1 surround only with the broadcasts from HD (DTH) sources. It down-mixes all the surround channels to 2.0 and outputs to the receiver from other sources directly connected to the TV for audio.

If you want 5.1 surrounds or any other format like Dolby TrueHD, DTS-Master Audio, etc, then you need to connect the a/v source to the receiver directly thru HDMI (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA), Optical(Dolby 5.1, DTS 5.1), Coax(Dolby 5.1, DTS 5.1). Then from the receiver connect the video out to the TV thru HDMI, video composite, etc.

I hope this helps.

Hi all,
Many thanks for your inputs. Here are my comments.

Few questions:

Do you have surround speakers setup?/
How are the connections between all your components?
What media information are you playing? are these downloaded content or from DVDs or TV broadcast
What are the DSP settings on your AVR (is it Dolby Digital, DTS, ...)

Yes, I have Polk Audio 6750 surround speaker setup.
I am playing HD videos downloaded from youtube and some HD torrents.
The connection is like this. Source: USB connected to TV. Audio: Optical audio out from TV to AVR 1311. Video: No connection as the source is connected to TV (display) itself.
The surround is *slightly* better in case of DVD rips (HD) downloaded from torrent sites. But it's not impressive!
How to change these settings? I thought my AVR will automatically detect the type of the source! Can you tell me how to change these settings manually? And, will it help?
What is your TV's model number?
Samsung LA40D550.

Most probably, the TV output is two channel. The best way to confirm is to go to Speaker set-up and confirm that all the speakers are working. Next, connect a DVD player and try a movie you are positive has Dolby Digital and/or DTS.
Cheers

I do not have a DVD player :) and when I thought this particular TV I thought I may not have to buy one.

Hi Shail ,
If you have connected by optical you will be getting, Try the surround options in ur Denon AVR remote, Neo-6, pro logics, DTS effects. on the restorer.should help u the effect..
Yeah, dlkanth! I tried that but it sounded artificial... no effects! Only in one case when I played an HD DVD rip of dhobighat today, my AVR automatically showed the content as Dolby and I could feel the clarity in surround effects!

The TV can output 5.1 surround only with the broadcasts from HD (DTH) sources. It down-mixes all the surround channels to 2.0 and outputs to the receiver from other sources directly connected to the TV for audio.

If you want 5.1 surrounds or any other format like Dolby TrueHD, DTS-Master Audio, etc, then you need to connect the a/v source to the receiver directly thru HDMI (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA), Optical(Dolby 5.1, DTS 5.1), Coax(Dolby 5.1, DTS 5.1). Then from the receiver connect the video out to the TV thru HDMI, video composite, etc.

I hope this helps.
So do you mean I need to compulsorily buy a DVD player in this case even when my TV can play these files through USB? Alas!

Thanks again, guys! I hope my inputs above will help you give me an advice or two.

Guys, another information I wanted to share is about two options in my TV's sound settings.
The first option is of selecting the type of speaker i.e. TV or External.
And the second is of "S/PDIF Out" where I see sub-option for Dolby DIgital but it is disabled and PCM sub-option is selected by default. Not sure what I need to change in terms of setting to change it!

Any ideas? I think if the TV at all had no option of 5.1 audio out, this option of dolby digital would not have been there under S/PDIF, no? Any ideas there?

Thanks!!!!
Shail

The first option is of selecting the type of speaker i.e. TV or External. And the second is of "S/PDIF Out" where I see sub-option for Dolby DIgital but it is disabled and PCM sub-option is selected by default. Not sure what I need to change in terms of setting to change it!

PCM is when the TV decodes the audio and sends the data as multi channel digital audio. Most probably, the TV will be downgrading the audio codecs to two channel. Try 'Dolby Digital'. Hopefully the TV will bitstream the audio in raw form and that should allow the Denon to receive the data and decode it for all channels.

Cheers

PCM is when the TV decodes the audio and sends the data as multi channel digital audio. Most probably, the TV will be downgrading the audio codecs to two channel. Try 'Dolby Digital'. Hopefully the TV will bitstream the audio in raw form and that should allow the Denon to receive the data and decode it for all channels.

Cheers

That's the probelm, Venkat! I am not able to change SPIDF output settings in my TV from PCM to Dolby Digital. :sad:

I am playing HD videos downloaded from youtube and some HD torrents.

The surround is *slightly* better in case of DVD rips (HD) downloaded from torrent sites. But it's not impressive!

Yeah, dlkanth! I tried that but it sounded artificial... no effects! Only in one case when I played an HD DVD rip of dhobighat today, my AVR automatically showed the content as Dolby and I could feel the clarity in surround effects!

From what you said above, I think the problem is with your movies. You said you are using HD movies from youtube and DVD rips. Usually youtube videos are in stereo format and most probably are not HD. Also dvd rips are not HD. Please check the file size of the DVD Rip movies. If it is 700MB or so then the sound is usually stereo. Usually dvd rip files with atleast 1.5GB will have 5.1. Try downloading only BRRip files with a file size of 2GB. They are all in 5.1 mode.

Guys, I am able to get 5.1 on my set up now. Here is what all I did to get it working. I am posting it here so others can use it for reference.

To make sure that the source files have 5.1 sudio channels, I downloaded some DD/DTS trailers from a torrent, but as they were in iso format, i converted them with a software called makemkv into mkv files. When I played these files and the results were stereo. I was really sad but did not want to lose it so soon. Called the Samsung customer care in Bangalore and talked to a technical person. From what she told me, I understood that there are actually two Audio Out ports (both optical) in my TV i.e. Samsung LA40D550. And, for 5.1 I need to connect the optical to the port labelled Digital Audio Out. Another change that I had to do was on the SPIDF setting. I selected external, and changed the speaker mode to Dolby from PCM. I did and played the trailers again ... and WOW... I have DD sound on my set up now. It was really IMPRESSIVE!!!
I am a happy man! Thanks all of you for your valuable inputs.

Good to see your problem solved. So it seems that the TV is indeed bitstreaming the 5.1 channels

Good to see your problem solved. So it seems that the TV is indeed bitstreaming the 5.1 channels

Yes! It is. :)
It does not support HD 5.1 though, of course, as there is no HDMI out. I don't there are TVs in the market with that option. Are there?:rolleyes:

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back