• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Now a Soviet Era Drivers for the Mets

Hari Iyer

Hari, work on the positioning of your speakers first. I think it’s a room problem

What cables are you using now?

First get the system to sound right without the sub. Introduce the sub later once you have got your balance right
Thanks Prem for your inputs. Unfortunately the speaker positioning will be a constraint for my room for want of space. I have currently gone for the golden ratio room placement with 1:1.6 ratio front to back which gives decent image depth. The speakers are around 22" away from the side walls (center). Room reflections from the sidewall is an issue as the FR driver has a increasing directivity from 200Hz onwards and need to be towed in to avoid the side reflections.

Currently the cables are diy which are polycab telephone cables with copper purity of 99.7% (as per their brochure) which measures 22pF capacitance in my LCR meter for 1+ meter wire. These cables were more detailed and punchy compared to the DAC cables from Darshan Joshi. The DAC cable measured 350pF capacitance and hence highs were getting rolled-off which could sound more releaxed for long time listening.

I think its more to balance the setup vis-a-vis the pre-amp stage, power amp, speakers and the cables so that they could sing in unison.

I am working on the LPF stage for the preamp as i can hear some residual noise at moderate level which can be from stray RF and EMI interference getting modulated with my audio signal. So thinking of adding a simple RC filter to check if they benefit. Also i have studied schematics of Sony Amplifier and Marantz Reference amplifier PM-15S1 which has similar RC implementation in their line inputs and phono output stage for maybe similar reasons.

SPONSORED ADS

SPONSORED ADS

Hari Iyer

For the LPF i will be using the following -3dB cutoff frequency to experiment,

Line inputs - CD, Tape and DAC -1 MHz

Phono preamp input - 590KHz

Phono preamp output - 160KHz.

Will implement this over the weekend and post outcome.

Hari Iyer

Today I implemented the LPF in the line inputs with -3dB @ 1MHz. The preamp now sounds superb and now is a completely different beast. The sparkle in the HF is now gone and the overall sound stage is very mellow. In fact I had to remove the 47 ohm series resistor from the piezoelectric horn tweeter to get proper air in the sound stage. Now vocals are quite open and with less sparkle than before.

Never knew that my IC attract so much RF & EMI noise from air. With this LPF implementation o am now able to enjoy low capacitance cable to the fullest. In fact standard interconnects may sound not so good with higher HF roll-off.

Last edited:

spirovious

Never knew that my IC attract so much RF & EMI noise from air. With this LPF implementation o am now able to enjoy low capacitance cable to the fullest. In fact standard interconnects may sound not so good with higher HF roll-off.
It must be due to vert less shielding on telephonic ic wires.Ics must be working like antenna.

Hari Iyer

It must be due to vert less shielding on telephonic ic wires.Ics must be working like antenna.
IME shielded wires have higher capacitance over 150 pF due to close proximity of the hot and cold points. This itself will rolloff highs earlier.

SPONSORED ADS