NuForce NE6 and NE7-M IEMs

PurpleHaze

I have already posted this review on another site where I have been active since last 3-4 years. I came across HiFiVision recently and since its an audiophile community thought of posting my review here as well :).

NuForce NE6 \ NE7-M REVIEW .

Introduction :

NuForce is a California-US based company dedicated to the production and development of some quality audio products - aimed at the audiophile community. Started in 2005 , currently Nuforce has an exceptionally fine lineup of stereo and multi-channel amplifier , DACs ,loudspeakers, earphones, accessories etc. Today we will be having a look at the NE6 and NE7-M IEMs belonging to a highly competitive mid-end segment of dynamic in-ears earphones. The NE6 and NE7-M share the same dynamic driver,housing and ofcourse the sound characteristics but NE-7M has a microphone for iPhone and other compatible mobile devices. So let's see how these fair sonically and if they can keep up with some of the best options already existing in the market.

hometj.jpg

Specifications :

Earphone

Cable length : 1.2m
Driver Size : 9mm
Frequency Response : 20Hz-22KHz
Sensitivity : 100+/-3 dB/mW @ 1KHz
Rated Power : 2mW
Max Power : 20mW
Plug : 3.5mm (iPhone compatible)
Weight : 12 gm

Microphone (NE7-M only)

Frequency : 20Hz - 16KHz
Sensitivity : 58 dB +/- 2dB
Direction : Omni directional

Packaging and Accessories :

The NE6 and NE7-M ship in simple softboard boxes embracing the plastic trays which hold the earphones and accessories. The square shaped NE-7M box is a little bigger than the compact NE6 rectangular box. On the front there's the NuForce logo along with the respective earphone labeling .The backside of the box is listed with various salient features of the earphone and technical specs.

font%3E%3Cfont%20size=3%3E

21920513.jpg

67766419.jpg

63554198.jpg

The white background makes the box look simple and sober but at the same time can get bit dirty due to longtime storage in the store or warehouse. Maybe a black or dark colour background would've made the box more stylish and added some bling at the same time. Anyways its the earphones we are more interested in so the packaging shouldn't be really important .Infact I would be glad if manufacturers save money on cheaper and compact boxes without compromising on safety and in turn return the savings to customers in terms of better pricing and sound.

29920380.jpg

Also the NE-7M box has a pop-up window with velcro on the front which lets you have a look at the actual earphone inside whereas the NE6 box front has a small transparent component. This can be really helpful to examine the earphones on delivery or to check for damage without opening the box .

Once you open the sealed box and slide out the plastic tray , you will find a pair of nice shiny earphones staring at you beside the small carry pouch and eartip. (In the NE-6 box , the eartips are inside the pouch).Moreover there's a small folded paper manual with information on Safe listening levels , Tips on wearing the IEMs,warranty etc. I found the insertion tips on IEM really helpful and highly recommend first time IEM users to go through it to avoid issues with proper seal and fit.

The carry pouch is made of rubber and has a retractable ribbon for opening & closing the pouch.Not the best case Ive seen but should be good enough to keep the earphones safe when not in use.

45949895.jpg

The complete list of accessories is as follows-
carry pouch
4 eartips - small , medium ,large and bi-flanges.

57796639.jpg

39847060.jpg

NuForce could be a little more generous with the accessories by providing foam tips ,cable winder ,ear gliders etc which are part of standard accessories with most IEMs these days.

The packaging and accessories deserves a 3.5/5 from me.

Design and Build Quality:

The first things that came to my mind when I saw the NE6 was , these looks so familiar. It's because NE6 /NE7-M use a very tried and tested, generic IEM housing for the drivers. If you have ever come cross the old Crossroads Mylarone X3 or even the PL-11 from SoundMagic you will notice that all these IEMs use the similar housing. Its made up of black hard plastic coating with another layer of different colour band on it. The NE6 comes in blue while the headset version ie-NE7-M wears a golden band .

59248766.jpg

45467885.jpg

54743831.jpg

The cables are routed through the solid black rubber strain relief which extends at the back of the housing .The strain relief has a small nu logo as well as markings for the left and right channel.
The cables not very thick nor extremely thin and feels nice to hold .The build quality is on-par with the soft cables on the SoundMagic IEMs and feels very similar too .There are no signs of any compromise on the overall build as well. The cable split is supported but a tough strain relief which has a Nuforce logo and just below that there's a movable shirt clip again with the logo.

80593710.jpg

23926085.jpg

24973584.jpg

91218028.jpg

The 3.5mm connector used is a right angled one and fits into an iPhone recessed jack as well.Its more solid and thicker than most flexible straight plugs on earphones.

19068262.jpg

28530127.jpg

Comfort and Isolation :

The earphones are pretty light weight, have an average size and should easily fit most users with the proper tips. They can be worn straight down as well as over the ears. The cable doesn't have any microphonic issues so wearing it over the ear is not really required but the ones who are used to it might feel the need. The fit with the medium / small tips might needs a little adjustment to the depth of insertion , incase you feel the sound isn't balanced but with the bi-flange the seal is perfect.
Isolation with the medium tip is decent but improves when the bi-flange tips are used.With the bi-flanges the background noise is cut-off almost by 80% and you wont hear anything unless someone literally shouts in your ears.

Overall I would give a 4/5 for the top notch build quality ,looks and the comfort.

Sound Quality :

As always tested these using my usual collection of Electronica ,A.R. Rahman , some alternative rock and new age music. All in 320 or FLACs.
Used a rockboxed Sansa Fuze as source with flat EQ. Head Direct RE-0 was used as benchmark for neutrality and detailing and a Brainwavz M2 was used for comparison as well.

Out of the box the NE7-M was a bit too boomy , so I let burn-in for about ~50 hrs. After the burn-in the bass did actually settle down . Here are the post-burn in impressions :

To start with the Bass is truly amazing and extends so low that it can actually result in small vibrations at times . Its not like one of the muddy boomy bass but its quality textured bass with unmatched speed for the price. I wouldnt be exaggerating if I say the bass on these is the one of the best Ive heard till date.Its ofcourse not as accurate as the Ultimate Ears TF10 or my RE-252 but it has a nice punch to it which makes you go wow every time a drumbeat hits you or bass synth follows in a trance track. Yes the bass is a little bit on the heavier side and packs in lot more punch than most IEMs do but it really is one the essence of the NE6.If you listen to lot of classical music or prefer bass shy IEMs than this one's not for you since you might find the bass overpowering.

To give you an idea, there are IEMs like PL-30,RE-2, RE-0 and a few others which are usually described as bass shy.There are IEMs like EP-630,Hippo Boom ,Monster Turbines and to an extent the Kilpsch S4 which are usually portrayed as basshead's IEMs. The bass on the NE-6/NE7-M lies somewhere exactly between these two groups. Its definitely not normal balanced bass and it can't even be classified as boomy bass owing to its amazing speed and accuracy.

Moving over to the
midrange, the lower spectrum of the midrange frequencies is similar to the bass .Its extremely engaging , fun and pleasant sounding .Not as detailed as the Brainwavz M2 but the instruments are clear and fast. As a result of this the vocals and higher midrange sound slightly recessed. The bass and instruments take centre stage while the vocals support more of like background noise. A little EQing in the rockbox helps bring out the vocals and make it more balanced. The bass and midrange combination is best for electronica, hip-hop or any music with lot of instruments and less vocals.

Highs
are crisp and detailed extend fairly well till the end of spectrum but lack the fine detailing of higher end IEMs like M2,RE-0 etc. They are not as good as the bass or midrange but not disappointing as well. There is no sign of sibilance or any sharpness. The treble is clear and smooth with most genres other than complex classical pieces where you can notice slight treble roll off. The treble detailing on the Brainwavz M2 and Head-Direct RE2 is lot better in comparison .

The
soundstage and imaging has a very good depth and a equally good width.Its slightly warm and airy and gives you a lounge like feel.Its not as wide as the PL-50 or the more expensive RE-1, RE252 etc but it's as good as the RE-2 and the Brainwavz M2. As mentioned already the the bass and instruments are bang in the centre whereas the treble and fine detailing appears to come from far.

Need of an amp ?

The NE6/NE7-M is very easy to drive and I didn't need to go boost up the volume above 70-80% even in crowded places .Just to get an idea I did try it out with a few amps.

With Fiio E5, the sound didnt improve but infact was degraded by slightly muddy midrange and midbass hump .The overall clarity suffered as well.
With the Fiio E1 connected to the iPhone, the bass gets a little more tighter and the vocals get a slight boost. Also there's a little sparkle in the treble detailing.This could be due to the amplification of clean line out signal from the iPhone.

I also got to try it with BF1983s Ibasso P3+ for a very brief period , and found that the overall detailing and soundstage was noticeable better than without amp . The bass had very good authority and sounded bliss .

The only major noticeable improvement was with a 200$ + amp so I don't think its worth the returns.Ofcourse if you already have one you can pair it with it otherwise one really doesnt need any sort of amping for these. A good clean source is all that you need.

Overall the best way I could describe the sound on NE6/NE7M is lively and fun .
Dont get me wrong on the fun part cause some might mistaken it as it not being detailed or accurate. Its pretty accurate without having a dry \neutral or balanced sound . The amazing bass and lower midrange coupled with the relaxed soundstage will set you foot tapping everytime you listen to your music. Its the kind of sound which majority of casual non-audiophile listeners will love . Especially the ones who complain about the lack of bass in their IEMs.

The NE6/NE7-M deserves a 4/5 for the sound.

Final Thoughts and Conclusion:

So as I always say , there's no single IEM which can be termed as best or better than the other ,especially with such competitive market its even more difficult to recommend a particular product as the best in its range. Currently the RE-2 would be the main competitor to the NE6 , infact both have equally good detailing but differ in their sound signatures. RE-2 is lot more balanced and open spaced compared to NE6.It's bass is not as good but the midrange especially the vocals are superior.

Some say the NE6 is what a RE-2 coupled with E5 sounds like , in my opinion it is not so .Both have a very distinct sound , wherein RE-2 is more suited for rock , classical type of music or someone looking for more neutral approach .

The NE6 is best suited for Drum n Bass,Hip hop , Electronica type of music or anyone who cares more about punchy bass and fun sound then extreme detailing , neutrality etc.

I really don't think one can go wrong with these. Infact before completing the review itself few of my friends bought the NE6 and NE7-M for their iPhones on my recommendation and each one was left amazed by its bass and sound quality.

At a price of Rs.2500 for NE6 and Rs.2950 for NE7-M they are a tad bit expensive than its international pricing but its still one of the best options in this range. If ever in the future there are any discounts or better deals , the NE6 would be a steal at that price.As for the NE-7M there's no competition as such and its the best IEM headset an iPhone or a mobile user can get for the price ;).

Pros :

Incredible bass
Good midrange
Fun and engaging sound signature
fine build quality

Cons :

Limited Accessories
Bass might be overpowering for the one's looking for very neutral sound.
Price point.

Overall rating : 4.3/5.

I would like to thank Buygamingstuff for providing me with the review sample and let me write the review at my convenience .

Re: REVIEW : NuForce NE6 and NE7-M IEMs

I was about to post a review on this (not a detailed like this one, but the initial impressions after the burn-in time). Anyways I dont want to repeat what you have said as you have covered it very well and will try to post the pics later with a small review on connecting it thru' FIIO E3 along with my HTC phone.

Last edited:

Any review is incomplete without the price. How much did you obtain it for in INR and where? :)

The 0.3 in the rating of 4.3 is gnawing at my head. It is generating a lot of odd harmonics in my audiophile mind and the neuroses are playing up ;)
Precisely what feature tipped the scale by 0.3 from a well rounded score of 4.0? :)

Cheers

Gobble, You dont like decimals?;)
I think he has mentioned price as rs.2500 and rs.2950 for ne 6 and ne7 resp.

Cmsajith, which one did you get?

I came across HiFiVision recently and since its an audiophile community thought of posting my review here as well.

Welcome, have a great time. That was indeed a grand entry to HFV with a nice review, well done! - Image size could've been reduced.

:)

IEM : Nuforce NE-6 : 1800/-
HP amp : FIIO E3 : 386/-
-----------------------------------------------
4% VAT : 87.44/-
Shipping (DTDC Air) : 85.56/-
Total Damage (Rounded off) : 2359/-
Vendor : Lynx India (Amarbhir)

Initial impressions after 25hrs
Flacs tried: PinkFloyd / JazzMasters / Fusion by Gopinathan & StephanGraphelli

- Really good / Tight / Deep bass. With PinkFloyd / JazzMasters, its really shining with drums. Tried to increase the volume (around 20% more in my phone) to get the feel of it for a second or three, the base guitars and the kick drums were giving small vibration feeling without any distortion which is very good to feel, but reduced when my mind reminded about my ears.

- It really points out the recording quality. With PinkFloyd and JazzMasters, I could really get a good soundstage extending outside the IEMs, eg., I could really feel the distance towards (backwards) some footsteps sequence in one track.

- But the recording of fusion album was not upto the mark when compared with the others. Eventhough the soundstage is acceptable, i had a limited kind of feeling after listening to the others (it could be the limitation of the iem also as i have not tried with lot of generes), the drums and the mridangam sounds were getting mixed up and not able to clearly separate the mridangam sounds in one of the songs. But with other casual film songs it was not an issue.

- With E3 (need to find a diy solution to cover the amp circuit with a metal foil to reduce the external interference esp., from the phones which is a known issue), ne6 became more tight and accurate on bass and vocals, i could really feel the difference. For comparison i can say, w/o amp it was like listening to wharfadale 9.2 and w/ amp it was like listening to a floorstander (cannot compare with my Quads) and without any boominess. But I feel the sweetness in music is slightly lost when connected to the amp as it gives more strength to the instruments at the same volume level, better would be while listening to instrumental music.

- Mids (w/ an amp it got improved slightly) and highs (slight harshness at high pitch, probably needs a considerable time for proper burnin as mentioned in other forums) are slightly recessed compared to the bass, can be compared to the difference b/n the Marantz and NAD amps.

Last edited:

Gobble, You dont like decimals?;)
I think he has mentioned price as rs.2500 and rs.2950 for ne 6 and ne7 resp.

Cmsajith, which one did you get?

On the contrary!! ;)

Here is how I calculated

Too boomy -0.6966
50 hrs to burn in --> -0.01
Excellent bass ---> +1.01
Not normal bass --> -0.02
Midrange --> +2.0
Highs crisp and detailed --> +1.47832
Highs lack the fine detailing of higher end --> -0.05385
SoundStage good but not as wide ... --> +0.51168

It comes to 4.21955 rounding off makes it 4.22. Therefore I am deeply perplexed about how the OP arrived at 4.3!! :eek:

Is the OP using an old intel and OS and still affected by the Intel floating point bug? :rolleyes:

This is disturbing me deeply and I will be unable to sleep tonite unless this is resolved ... :mad:

Please note I used a scientific calculator and hence all my calculations are scientific :)

Regards

Edit: I hope the OP will take a serious look into this, as this a public forum and our collective reputation is at stake ...
The whole world is watching us ..... :(

Last edited:

Faheem / PurpleHaze,

Next time you do a review, take advice from Gobble about proper computation of the score.

Long due from you -> IEM comparison review. Hope to find more about all your 22 (or is it 23 now?) IEMs ;)

amazing, and dedicated review. moved by it and happy to come know the interest of this audiophile

Faheem is totally into earphones, have lost count of the number of earphones he has bought/used/sold to his friends..... :rolleyes:

IEM : Nuforce NE-6 : 1800/-
HP amp : FIIO E3 : 386/-
4% VAT : 87.44/-
Shipping (DTDC Air) : 85.56/-
Total Damage (Rounded off) : 2359/-
Vendor : Lynx India (Amarbhir)

Initial impressions after 25hrs
Flacs tried: PinkFloyd / JazzMasters / Fusion by Gopinathan & StephanGraphelli

- Really good / Tight / Deep bass. With PinkFloyd / JazzMasters, its really shining with drums. Tried to increase the volume (around 20% more in my phone) to get the feel of it for a second or three, the base guitars and the kick drums were giving small vibration feeling without any distortion which is very good to feel, but reduced when my mind reminded about my ears.

- It really points out the recording quality. With PinkFloyd and JazzMasters, I could really get a good soundstage extending outside the IEMs, eg., I could really feel the distance towards (backwards) some footsteps sequence in one track.

- But the recording of fusion album was not upto the mark when compared with the others. Eventhough the soundstage is acceptable, i had a limited kind of feeling after listening to the others (it could be the limitation of the iem also as i have not tried with lot of generes), the drums and the mridangam sounds were getting mixed up and not able to clearly separate the mridangam sounds in one of the songs. But with other casual film songs it was not an issue.

- With E3 (need to find a diy solution to cover the amp circuit with a metal foil to reduce the external interference esp., from the phones which is a known issue), ne6 became more tight and accurate on bass and vocals, i could really feel the difference. For comparison i can say, w/o amp it was like listening to wharfadale 9.2 and w/ amp it was like listening to a floorstander (cannot compare with my Quads) and without any boominess. But I feel the sweetness in music is slightly lost when connected to the amp as it gives more strength to the instruments at the same volume level, better would be while listening to instrumental music.

- Mids (w/ an amp it got improved slightly) and highs (slight harshness at high pitch, probably needs a considerable time for proper burnin as mentioned in other forums) are slightly recessed compared to the bass, can be compared to the difference b/n the Marantz and NAD amps.

Hi Sajith

both are new gear. How do you know which component is creating what effect? Both positive or negative ... The congestion in drums and mridangam may be due to HA or HP ... its hard to tell is it not? :)

Regards

Hi Sajith

both are new gear. How do you know which component is creating what effect? Both positive or negative ... The congestion in drums and mridangam may be due to HA or HP ... its hard to tell is it not? :)

Regards

It was same when i connected it w/o the amp. Also I need to try the same track from the Caiman Dac HP out to find whether the problem was because of the DAC used in the phone.

hmmm guys we are officially importing it in india
product is been sold to many dealers from us like lynx,prime
Bass n treble - delhi

will keep u all posted !!
thanks faheem for great review

hmm do use it either with Nuforce icon mobile
udac and icon mobile is now available with all leading store in country

For demo if you in delhi
Visit bass n treble ( speak to denny )
we have alloted the demo samples to bass n treble

try to implement same across various part in country

I was about to post a review on this (not a detailed like this one, but the initial impressions after the burn-in time). Anyways I dont want to repeat what you have said as you have covered it very well and will try to post the pics later with a small review on connecting it thru' FIIO E3 along with my HTC phone.

Oooops .Sorry for late replies guys . Didn't notice the review got posted , when I had clicked the submit button I couldn't see it .I guess posts are under moderation . Thank You everyone for the appreciation.

Any review is incomplete without the price. How much did you obtain it for in INR and where? :)

The 0.3 in the rating of 4.3 is gnawing at my head. It is generating a lot of odd harmonics in my audiophile mind and the neuroses are playing up ;)
Precisely what feature tipped the scale by 0.3 from a well rounded score of 4.0? :)

Cheers

On the contrary!! ;)

Here is how I calculated

Too boomy -0.6966
50 hrs to burn in --> -0.01
Excellent bass ---> +1.01
Not normal bass --> -0.02
Midrange --> +2.0
Highs crisp and detailed --> +1.47832
Highs lack the fine detailing of higher end --> -0.05385
SoundStage good but not as wide ... --> +0.51168

It comes to 4.21955 rounding off makes it 4.22. Therefore I am deeply perplexed about how the OP arrived at 4.3!! :eek:

Is the OP using an old intel and OS and still affected by the Intel floating point bug? :rolleyes:

This is disturbing me deeply and I will be unable to sleep tonite unless this is resolved ... :mad:

Please note I used a scientific calculator and hence all my calculations are scientific :)

Regards

Edit: I hope the OP will take a serious look into this, as this a public forum and our collective reputation is at stake ...
The whole world is watching us ..... :(

Sir, I do not use a scientific calculator while rating the products when I write reviews. The score is based on lot of other IEMs I have tried in the particular segment as well as few below and above the same price range.Ive done a lot of other reviews earlier , incase you've come across them it would be easier to make out that a 4.3 is better than the 4.2 or 4.0 rated earphone.

Frankly speaking guys instead of focusing on rating one should focus more on the sound signature and other issues and make sure if the product suits your needs. Everyone has different sonic tastes and it matters the most when choosing your gear. Its very much possible that you might end up liking a 4.3 rated NE6 more than a full 4.8/4.9 rated IEM like a Head-Direct RE0/RE-252 (which I use for personally) .

And yeah do the 775 socket based Q6600 quad cores have a floating point issue ?:lol:

Purplehaze, Fah33m? Thanks for the review.
Yeah it's me , Fah33m .

Glad to know that my impressions are similar to that of yours .The Fiio E3 is a very cheap amp without any volume control etc .It just serves the purpose but try upgrading to something like a Fiio E5 which provides lot better quality amplification compared to E3 and it has a rechargeable battery , so you will be saving money in the long run.;)

Welcome, have a great time. That was indeed a grand entry to HFV with a nice review, well done! - Image size could've been reduced.

:)

Thank You .I will surely try enjoy as much as I can .I do not have any knowledge of hi-fi speaker systems etc and would love learn from you guys . though I would love to hear my music on a good set of floor-standers , the room constraint/parents is a bit of an issue. Maybe someday .

Faheem / PurpleHaze,

Next time you do a review, take advice from Gobble about proper computation of the score.

Long due from you -> IEM comparison review. Hope to find more about all your 22 (or is it 23 now?) IEMs ;)

Hey Santosh .Nice to see you over here. Yeah I know lot of reviews pending but I might just skip a few and directly include them in the mega comparison guide which will come up someday :p.

amazing, and dedicated review. moved by it and happy to come know the interest of this audiophile

I am glad to hear such words .:)

Faheem is totally into earphones, have lost count of the number of earphones he has bought/used/sold to his friends..... :rolleyes:

Hahaha ..I think Ive myself lost the count . by the way do I know you ?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back