Onkyo D-77

thekinge

I have decided to buy a Denon AVR-1910 and will take a while to finalize a suitable set of speakers. In the interim I really need a pair of speakers since the audio output of my Sony 46EX500 is really poor. I saw a pair of Onkyo D-77 speakers on sale in a local classifieds web site. The speakers appear to be manufactured in Japan if it is any indicator of build and audio quality.

ONKYO D-77

I know its a really old set of speakers, but are they worth buying (for about AED 200 / INR 2500) if they are in good condition? And would it pair well with the Denon 1910? Could the veterans of this forum help?

Hi,

I have an Onkyo HTiB. Have replaced the fronts with Wharfs. Onkyo is not known for its speakers.They have lways been just Ok speakers.For Rs2500/ you can't go much wrong right?

cheers,
sri

For Rs2500/ you can't go much wrong right?

I just realized my initial post may have made me sound like El Cheapo:)

However, these are not HTiB speakers but rather dedicated stereo speakers manufactured by Onkyo. And their specifications, at least to my novice eyes are good. More than the price I am interested to know if these stereo speakers from Onkyo could have been one of those rare exceptions where Onkyo made decent stereo speakers!!

I have decided to buy a Denon AVR-1910 and will take a while to finalize a suitable set of speakers. In the interim I really need a pair of speakers since the audio output of my Sony 46EX500 is really poor. I saw a pair of Onkyo D-77 speakers on sale in a local classifieds web site. The speakers appear to be manufactured in Japan if it is any indicator of build and audio quality.

ONKYO D-77

I know its a really old set of speakers, but are they worth buying (for about AED 200 / INR 2500) if they are in good condition? And would it pair well with the Denon 1910? Could the veterans of this forum help?

Hi,
Going by specs and INR 2500/- price, I think there is not much to loose in terms of VFM proposition. (Yes, your must audition them if possible. Without audition its 100% risk all the way... they may be refurbished version of blown-out spkrs with local voice-coil winding). Can't say how they will sound with "weak" amps of AVR like Denon 1910. (I have wharfe 9.2, and I think it's injustice to drive them with a budget level AVR. They can do so much more with a good stereo amp)

Regds,

thekinge, from the stuff I see on sale in Dubai,IMHO I think you can do better if you add those few hundred dirhams to your final speaker purchase!

Thanks for your reply sonosphere.

thekinge, from the stuff I see on sale in Dubai,IMHO I think you can do better if you add those few hundred dirhams to your final speaker purchase!

iaudio, I will surely buy a decent pair for myself! However, I am still intrigued by these stereo speakers from Onkyo. The pair I am looking at is almost "vintage", i.e., 20 years old and look well built. Hence I am a bit inquisitive to know if they are one of those "exceptions" where Onkyo built a decent stereo speaker:)

And Dubai is not that cheap though! Thanks to the monopoly business model and lack of competition, most of the stuff here is unbelievably expensive:mad:

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back