Onkyo htr340 5.1 as 2 channel preamp

Phanindra

Hi experts,
I have onkyo HTR340 which is 15 years old with 5.1 and running great. I am planning to upgrade to denon 3800 which is 9.1 and can prcoess 11.1. My question is can i use onkyo old receiver as preamp to run 2 channel floor standing speakers by taking preout from denon and as cd/tape input to onkyo ? Instead of buying spearate preamplifier.

I also upgraded to Denon 3600 Av receiver , 9.1 channel from old Onkyo Av receiver and still using my onkyo avr for TV watching.
As long as u can take the Aux /pre-out from Denon and input to the Onkyo AVR it will work.
But question is when you can use the Onkyo as independent AVR why do u want to use this as Pre-amp?. You can use the Onkyo as separate unit and use it for music listening or some other purpose.
If you want to convert your denon from 9.1 to 11.1 then only u need power-amp, in that case u can use your onkyo AVR as power-amp. But The issue may come with the double volume controls since both are AVRs ( power-amps will not have volume control in general) , u may need to keep the onkyo AVR's volume in constant position and use denons volume contol to increase the volume. I never tried this , but i guess it will work.

Thanks for the reply. I have my tv and projector at same place so want to use 11.1 for both tv content and projector content. As the receiver is running well i want to use it as 2 channel preamp instead of selling it for less amount. Denon also supports 11 channel with additional amplifier so just thinking of using both but got into this confusion. Did anyone already tried and hope it will not impact denon receiver.

Thanks for the reply. I have my tv and projector at same place so want to use 11.1 for both tv content and projector content. As the receiver is running well i want to use it as 2 channel preamp instead of selling it for less amount. Denon also supports 11 channel with additional amplifier so just thinking of using both but got into this confusion. Did anyone already tried and hope it will not impact denon receiver.
It will not affect the denon receiver anyways since we are just hooking up from pre-out. The speaker connected with Onkyo AVR may get affected if the volume is set too high at both AVR or it may distort.

If your Onkyo has a "Pre IN" and you connect denon pre out there, Onkyo will work only as a power amplifier. In that case volume adjustments always will be on Denon. But I don't know your Onkyo receiver having "pre in",if it's there you can use it as a power amplifier.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back