Onkyo ND-S1

sgmane

Hi Folks,

This is with reference to the thread
http://www.hifivision.com/mp3-mp4-wma-players-accessories/4825-ipod-dock-station-opinion-2.html
posted by unleash_me.

My friend is looking to buy the Onkyo ND-S1. Eventually i may try to get it from him later. Anyone can help me out.

He stays in San Jose, CA 95110/95112, but neither has any personal vehicle or friends to help him out. So is there any way to get this product in very minimum time? He is coming this month end. Any online store where he can buy, less cost, item reaches before he leaves the country on 29th?
I see couple of them on ebay. They seems to be priced on higher side.

This is bit urgent, as he need to get it before he departs!
Can any of you inform me how to go about?

Thanks.

I bought mine from a European Site and then shipped it to a friend's place in UK, so it costed me around 12.5 K after all the currency conversions. One of the best options for you is to sign up with Borderlinx.com which will issue you a UK and US address, so you can buy it from either of the two countries and then get it shipped to you for a very reasonable price. Even through this route it won't cost you more than 15K.

This is the link to the UK site : ONKYO NDS1 DIGITAL MEDIA TRANSPORT iPOD DOCK - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/5625 for details

Thank you.
I do not see any US sites offering this model. Is this not familiar there?
Let me try your option.

Thanks Hemant.
Yes i did see it earlier. (and its from japan)
I was searching for bestbuy.com. amazon.com or similar sites. But none of them have.

How good is Onkyo ND-S1 to go with AE A2?
I understand the dock does not have volume controls on the remote. Neverthless, i would like to know, if it good to go with AE A2?
Some reviews gives drawbacks of missing volume controls on the remote, and also the display of ipod menu's on onkyo amps. (Anyway i dont have the amp - so no worries). The item is rated good in Whathifi and other sites - (only for the digital processing, i suppose).

If its bad (not a good combination with AE A2), i will drop the plan of buying the ND-S1 from my friend.

Please your expert suggestions?

hey sg, this doesn't make sense with the AE2. It doesn't have analog outs, and I don't believe (from your description) that you have a DAC of any sort. in such a case buying some cheapo analog dock is a much better option.

This is just a digital transport and requires a digital preamp or an External DAC like Beresford or any other if you want to connect it with AE speakers. Also it doesn't allows the display of Ipod's playlist on your TV screen, so either you need to manually select a song/album on your Ipod or run the same on shuffle mode to change songs from a distance with its supplied remote.

If you just want a dock for your ipod, then you should look at Onkyo DS-A2X which has analogue out for connecting with AE speakers but here again you need something to control the volume for your Ipod to which you again require a preamp or a DAC with variable output support with volume control.

Thanks psychotropic ashishkesarwani.
Ok. I shall look for DS-A3 then.
Well i just do not want the playlist on TV screen, i can select manually. I want to know, if A2 can be hooked on to ND-S1. And now i understand it cannot. So dropped this plan.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back