Onkyo TX-NR646

sbg_

Hi Friends,

While I'm not an audiophile, I've recently developed interest in creating a home theater setup for a more immersive experience. I'm towards a 60:40 balance between music and movies, and my plan is to start with a 2.0 configuration and gradually incorporate additional components like integrated amplifiers, etc as needed.

In the meantime, I've come across the opportunity to purchase a used Onkyo TX-NR646. I have a few questions regarding this:

1. Is it worthwhile to invest in the Onkyo TX-NR646, considering it's been discontinued for quite a few years now?
  2. What precautions should I take into account when buying this used product? Do you have a checklist of things to inspect?
  3. Could you recommend compatible speakers to pair with the Onkyo TX-NR646?

Hi Friends,

While I'm not an audiophile, I've recently developed interest in creating a home theater setup for a more immersive experience. I'm towards a 60:40 balance between music and movies, and my plan is to start with a 2.0 configuration and gradually incorporate additional components like integrated amplifiers, etc as needed.

In the meantime, I've come across the opportunity to purchase a used Onkyo TX-NR646. I have a few questions regarding this:

1. Is it worthwhile to invest in the Onkyo TX-NR646, considering it's been discontinued for quite a few years now?
  2. What precautions should I take into account when buying this used product? Do you have a checklist of things to inspect?
How much are you getting the NR-646 for? Parts for such an old model will probably be unavailable

Hi Friends,

Before buying any used product, you need to understand the capabilities and features so that you have some knowledge of it. Fortunately, there are many youtube videos for everything and so you can see those and even read blogs or content. There is no set checklist. but physically see the AVR and check if any tampering was done (opened) repair stickers put at the back etc. Doing your HW on model number of the remote and avr will help as some try to sell AVRs with wrong or replacement remote which may limit all functionality.

If the AVR works well for all functions during a demo before purchase for atleast 20-30 mins then its good to go subject to being fairly priced.

Keep in mind the model number and availability of spare parts should anything go wrong. Getting into Home Theatre is a Big Deep Rabbit Hole and you need to draw the line once your expectations are fulfilled within budget etc.

Yes,Onkyo Receivers are good and worth buying it. I do have 14 years old Onyo receiver , it still works & sounds good, though i serviced the unit one time few months back.
Check the product thoroughly , if possible get the demo of the receiver with speakers.
Check with high volume there are no hiss sound/ or distortion.
Just play around with settings and check all are working fine.
Bargain well on price point and ask for minimal guarantee from seller atleast for a month or two.
Since u are in bangalore, u may get the reasonable service repair from Onkyo service center in HSR layout bangalore if you need it in the feature which i did few months ago.

Onkyo AVR have reported to have HDMI issues few year back. You have to keep that in mind Also you have to make sure it's not repaired if buying used. Also check it for 45 mins atleast to see if it trips or overheat.

Onkyo AVR have reported to have HDMI issues few year back. You have to keep that in mind Also you have to make sure it's not repaired if buying used. Also check it for 45 mins atleast to see if it trips or overheat.
Onkyo 646 not having HDMI issues but upper models had issue. I have Onkyo 646

I'm getting it for around 35k...
Depending on your budget it may be better to look at NR-696 - it’s a current model, you’ll get a new one with 18 month warranty and for long term parts will be available. Should be around 90k

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back