Onkyo TX-RZ50

skoka123

I am kind of new to these things. I am planning to buy Onkyo TX-RZ50 which supports only 9.2. To use additional Atmos height speakers I need an amplifier. Can I connect the pre-amp from the receiver to this Amplifier and from there to the height speakers?

Last edited:
I am kind of new to these things. I am planning to buy Onkyo TX-RZ50 which supports only 9.2. To use additional Atmos height speakers I need an amplifier. Can I connect the pre-amp from the receiver to this Amplifier and from there to the height speakers?

You can but probably overkill for height speakers

You can connect any amp provided it matches the speakers that would be connected to it.

You can go for a standalone power amplifier. Should work out cheaper.

Thank you all for taking the time to chip in.

@greendream - Can you or anyone please suggest a standalone power amp for the specific purpose of height speakers?

I would suggest Aiyima A07 Max to use for the height channels.

However, if you have the budget, you can also go for Emotiva BasX A2 for the front LR and use the rest of the channels in the AVR for the other channels.

I would suggest Aiyima A07 Max to use for the height channels.

However, if you have the budget, you can also go for Emotiva BasX A2 for the front LR and use the rest of the channels in the AVR for the other channels.
I have a Marantz SR7001 AVR (7.1 AVR with 120 watts/channel). Can I use it as a power amp instead of buying a new power amp?

I have a Marantz SR7001 AVR (7.1 AVR with 120 watts/channel). Can I use it as a power amp instead of buying a new power amp?

You cannot use the same as a power amp. It will have pre out for all channels. you will need to invest in a power amp if u need one

You cannot use the same as a power amp. It will have pre out for all channels. you will need to invest in a power amp if u need one
I am not sure if I explained it correctly. The Onkyo TX RZ50 supports 11 channels but has only 9 outputs. I was referring to taking the 2 pre-outs from the Onkyo and connecting it to the Marantz and using it as a power amp. Are you saying that would not work?

I am not sure if I explained it correctly. The Onkyo TX RZ50 supports 11 channels but has only 9 outputs. I was referring to taking the 2 pre-outs from the Onkyo and connecting it to the Marantz and using it as a power amp. Are you saying that would not work?
The 7001 should have RCA in so yes you should be able to use it as you’ve planned

It will work when you use RCA in for one of the many inputs like AUX or CD etc. but it is not MAIN IN and hence cannot be considered as using the POWER AMP only.

When you use the RCA in by selecting on of the inputs, the signal will go through the pre amp and other circuits before passing output out.

Hope this clarifies.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back