Onkyo TXSR 607+Elac 5.1 speakers

positiveskew

I was looking out for a Home Theatre setup. Requirements
  1. Movies (Thriller, Drama, Action, Comedy genres in that order) - 70%
  2. Music (Classical, vocal and blues) - 10%
  3. TV (upscale Tata Sky to whatever is possible without distorting the picture) - 20%

Modern World on Old Airport Road - dealer for Onkyo - suggested Onkyo TXSR 607 (with Onkyo powered sub) and Elac 5.1 speaker system. I listened to the Elac speakers and found the sound quality good against a set of Onkyo speakers. The Elac speakers are small which goes with my living room setup (cannot get floor standing front speakers). He quoted 58K for the combo and throws in 30m of speaker wires.

Could you please guide me if
  1. the price is reasonable or am I getting ripped
  2. where else can I check out Home Theatre systems in Bangalore (not the "in-the-box variety)
  3. what other combination - within 60K - would suit the requirements I mentioned earlier

I do not have much experience (or expertise) in this area so looking out for help!

@corElement: I would want to stick below 60K (55K is better) and my living area is 12 feet by 17 feet. I have a LCD TV (Bravia, 1080P) that is mounted on the wall and a HDMI output enabled DVD player (Sony). That is about it.

Isn't Pioneer AVRs not available in Bangalore?? No-one also talks about Wharfedale satellites too .....

The above combo is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAR superior to the Onkyo + Elacs or Pure Acoustics ..... and a lot VFM too.

Pioneer AVR + Wharf satellites/sub = less than 50K. In addition, you get a lotta 'bells and whistles' with the Pioneer which CAN be used in normal operations.

prices for onkyo here/india (which ever the model ) is definetly a rip . better to look for one in used or source from outside
do search net to find @ better pricing ,look for other brands too

Thanks everyone.
@avidyarthy: could you pls provide me some guidance on what PIoneer AVR would be suitable to keep the total price within my budget?

Thanks everyone.
@avidyarthy: could you pls provide me some guidance on what PIoneer AVR would be suitable to keep the total price within my budget?

For Pioneer AVRS :

Pro Audiotronics. Contact Madan at 98454 30919.

For Wharfs you have many dealers in bangalore you can search thru the forum and get the address.

Designer Audio - Sole Distributor for India of world-renowned brands such as Wharfedale, Quad, Phil Jones, DAC, Byford Audio, Vanguard, Vueguard, Vuemax in Mumbai, India.

Thanks
Kittu

I think for 50-60k, youre very near to a cambridge audio 5.1 + denon 1610 at a total cost of 65.

highend2009DSC_0013.JPG

the cambridge audio sirroco 5.1 set @ 40k

and denon 1610 avr costs 22kish.

those cambridges will maul sattelite speakers.

Last edited:
PROVIDED FLOOR SPACE IS AVAILABLE...........AND THE HOUSE IS NOT HOME TO 3 TO 7 YEAR OLD DEMONS WHO WOULD TEAR APART THEM SPEAKERS .... IF ICE-CREAM IS NOT HANDED OUT TO THEM ON DEMAND .....:mad:

I agree:sad: change that age group from 1 year to 7 years

Which ELAC 5.1 speaker coupled with 607 is at 58 K? Usually F 57 series is the base one sold at Modern World and priced at almost 1 L with AVR 607. Pls reply.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back