Online UPS, or just a stabiliser would suffice ?!h

TheSeeker

Hello everyone !

now i know there are already many threads on similar queries, but please pardon me for creating a new one, because even after going through them, i couldnt arrive to a firm solution to my dilemma. i would like some assistance from you experienced people here.

what i read was that an online UPS is the best solution for a home electronics set-up, providing effective back-up as well as voltage regulation. my set-up includes :

1. A 50" panasonic plasma TV (VT20D)

2. A PS3/X360

3. A 5.1 speaker system.

4. A DTH STB

5. A stand-alone media player going to be added in the near future.

i already have 1 belkin gold series surge protector thats being used with my PC and associated connections and equipments, as well as another belkin surge protector (dont remember the name though) being currently used with the TV. also, back-up is currently being provided to home equipments by an inverter.

now i enquired about an online UPS solution from the dealer from whom i had got my inverter, and he suggested to me Kevin online UPS 1.5 KVA for 8000/- (requires 2 batteries).

http://www.kevinsolutions.net/

i would like to have suggestions from you whether i should really buy the online UPS, or even a stabiliser like V-Guard Crystal or V-Guard Digi 100 would be sufficient ? in my area, we rarely have voltage surges or fluctuations, though moderate amount of power-cuts we do have, but those too generally after its notified in the newspapers, so overall i could safely say that not much of the power-issues.

keeping all in this mind, kindly suggest me on what should i do. if you require any other info, pls ask me, and i would surely try to furnish the details for you.

If you are paranoid then buy online ups. It is the best protection available. Else you can buy a line interactive UPS which has automatic voltage correcter (AVR). These can handle a wide range of voltage like 130-270. This will be better than a stabilizer. A sine wave UPS will be the suitable one for AV application.

Online UPS-----> Best option, but costly,
Highly recommended.

Line interactive UPS----> Better option than satbilizer or offline UPS (with voltage regulation feature), less costly than Online UPS.

Stabilizer/Offline UPS (with voltage regulation feature): Good option, but response time to fluctuation is generally poor than the above two options.

If u want a total long period peace of mind buy a Liebert-Emerson online UPS according to your wattage requirements.
Liebert is the even better than APC when it comes to cost of online UPS.

For line interactive APC should be your choice, here they are the best.

For stabilizers V-Guard is good.

the maker in subject offers a wide variety of solutions, as per the website. will personally go to the shop today or tomorrow to make the purchase.

It seems that u have already made ur mind to go for Kevin brand, then there is no need for further suggestions i think.best of luck for ur purchase though.

no i havent yet. i made that above post before i saw your reply. i would like to have liebert-emerson. was going through some posts of ajay124. seems liebert is costly. i called up their office at my city, but no one's picking up the call. hence PMed ajay just now to enquire about prices. could you suggest me on the prices too ? and should a 1.5 KVA online UPS suffice, as per the set-up i mentioned ? its not a heavy one at that.

Not enough if you want to run all of them in power backup mode.

TV - approx 200 - 400 watt
PS3 - approx 150 - 200 watt
5.1 sytem including AVR and SUB - 400-800watt
Others - 50 watt
Lights and Fans - 200 Watt

But in reality you would be watching only TV in power cuts , so it should be ok. I heard the service and quality of kevin UPS is not that great. One of our forum member rahulnsh has the same, check with him before you decide.

sure. i will get in touch with him. sorry, i forgot to specify one thing. when in power-cut scenario, i would only like the TV to operate, that too, rarely, since power-cuts are quite less probable here, and that too they happen during daytime when am not home. even then, if TV is required to be ON during power-cut, the console and 5.1 system arent required, and fan is taken care of by the inverter. would that help us in deciding for a particular solution ?

Then you are good. But do check some feedback on their product and service before you purchase.

TheSeeker

I also have protection( Online pure sine wave from APC) for the projector, plus some other smaller items, not for the 5 channel amp. Hope your search takes you to the right place.

no i havent yet. i made that above post before i saw your reply. i would like to have liebert-emerson. was going through some posts of ajay124. seems liebert is costly. i called up their office at my city, but no one's picking up the call. hence PMed ajay just now to enquire about prices. could you suggest me on the prices too ? and should a 1.5 KVA online UPS suffice, as per the set-up i mentioned ? its not a heavy one at that.

I was quoted 25k for Emerson Leibert 2kva and 27.5K for 3kva. I did not inquire about the 1kva model but I presume it would be 20K+. I have forgotten some of the stuff that I read during the time I was trying to make up my mind. But based on several months of actual usage I am extremely happy with the online UPS. I believe its major plus factors are:

Constant 230 volts.
Surge Protection.
Huge improvement in SQ.

At a lesser budget you can look at servo stabilizers from Vertex. I was quoted 11K for 1kva and 12.5K for 2kva. They were also providing a german (OBO) surge arrester for 3.5K which could be installed externally or inside the stabilizer. You can call Mr.Manjunath at 9886081610 for more information.

Personally I would suggest a branded online UPS (Emerson or APC) when you have the funds.

thats quite some information ! i dont think i would be able to spend that much on leibert. thanks for the contact no. also. i guess i may have to search now on a strict requirement-to-solution basis to find something good and affordable for me :eek:

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back