Optical/3.5 mm OUT & RCA/3.5mm IN - problem

driverace

I am, as most of you can tell (after reading below), a vanilla NOOB in audio world.

We have Sony SA-D10 speakers & a Vu 55" TV.
TV has sufficient volume for YT or Media played through Laptop+HDMI connection & way better on XboxONE gaming.

TV volume is unbelievably bad, but only when I play movies off-a-USB-HDD.
So, for that and more, I thought of hooking up the music system to the TV.
Now, the TV only has Optical Audio out & 3.5mm Audio out. The TV also has HDMI ARC 2, if that helps (or makes any sense, here)

I have a decent quality 3.5mm--to--2RCA cable, which I have so far used with the setup for louder volume.

Is there anyway, I can get better quality sound in the current arrangement?

Extra info:
The TV has Digital Audio out settings PCM/Dolby/etc.
None of the Audio settings seem to have effect in the output I receive through the 3.5mm_to_2RCA connection I made above.

Thank you,

Noob_Ace.

Hi

Most TVs you get nowadays have poor volume...certain models have good inbuilt speakers and hence better sound......this is why Soundbars came into existence to bridge this gap and also to make better business for manufacturers..

Levels of downloaded content is low -4db...offset default level and the speaker system you have is pure analog...nothing digital about it...its like basic powered speakers....

http://www.sony.co.in/electronics/support/res/manuals/4435/44358941M.pdf

Check the TV settings for USB media player...what is the source level ....default typically is at 0....you may need to increase the same to +6 or +8 or +12 to boost the audio of played back content through USB.....see the settings of the TV and refer to owners manual for details.....

If you really want to compliment and enjoy the TV performance .....you have the following options:

1) Get a sound bar with subwoofer which has digital and analog inputs....including Bluetooth....

OR

2) Depending on Budget, go for entry level systems....Yamaha YHT 196 / 199 etc.... this will give you proper 5.1 effects....

If you are open to pre owned systems due to low budget, you can look for options on Hifiads, For Sale by Owner and even OLX

Could you share the connectivity options on the rear of the Sony SA-D10?.. (or) could you share images of the back panel of the Sony system..

Is there anyway, I can get better quality sound in the current arrangement?

Most probably not if you use 3.5mm to RCA.. But, yes if the Sony has optical input..

If you wish to improve the sound of the TV using optical out port, then there are some options.. ;)

Hi

If you really want to compliment and enjoy the TV performance .....you have the following options:

1) Get a sound bar with subwoofer which has digital and analog inputs....including Bluetooth....

OR

2) Depending on Budget, go for entry level systems....Yamaha YHT 196 / 199 etc.... this will give you proper 5.1 effects....

If you are open to pre owned systems due to low budget, you can look for options on Hifiads, For Sale by Owner and even OLX

Thank you for the reply.

Is there no solution - which can use the speaker system I have? The Sony SA-D10?

My question was more on the lines of "connectivity solution" from TV to the Sony SA-D10..
maybe >> Optical--to--2RCA or similar kind of conversion.

Thanks,

Ace.

Could you share the connectivity options on the rear of the Sony SA-D10?.. (or) could you share images of the back panel of the Sony system..

Most probably not if you use 3.5mm to RCA.. But, yes if the Sony has optical input..

If you wish to improve the sound of the TV using optical out port, then there are some options.. ;)

That's more like what i was thinking about.

The Sony speakers - like I said, have only RCA IN & 3.5mm IN.
I do not have a photo handy, but it has the following inputs:
usb audio, aux and RCA inputs

Thanks,

Ace.

The Sony speakers - like I said, have only RCA IN & 3.5mm IN.
I do not have a photo handy, but it has the following inputs:
usb audio, aux and RCA inputs

If the Sony has only Analogue inputs, then no worries for a picture.. I was hoping that if Sony had digital in, then there was chance to make it sound better..

That's more like what i was thinking about.

Just a suggestion if you like it.. Sell the Sony on OLX for a good price and add some more money say to make it a total of 15K, where you can make a excellent stereo set-up for it using Chinese amps, which have digital inputs..

Sony satellites are 12 Ohms rated.. So you can safely re-use them..

(Or) best way.. Make the 4.1 speakers to 2.1 speakers.. Remove two satellites from there and either add to a Chinese amp (or) an old (used) AVR which have digital inputs, which can vastly improve sound quality..

Thank you for the suggestions, Elangoas.

I guess, I will do this in phases.
For a couple of months, I will run the current setup.
Will keep an eye out on the Chinese amps / Used AVRs to consider. :)

For some reason, I was sure, I was going to spend way too much, since I started reading up on projectors, a year ago. Hahah:p

Ace.

If you like to do it the same way as you did with Egate P531, then these digital chinese amps are a very good route in a cost effective way..
Can you suggest an Amp which is kinda in the middle between P531 & XGIMI H1? ;)

Thanks,

Ace.

Can you suggest an Amp which is kinda in the middle between P531 & XGIMI H1? ;)

If you wish to just improve sound to a good 2.0 system then consider this..

There are amps that are less than the cost of Egate P531, but can do lot of connectivity.. Here is one for abt $100 US.. Comes with a remote - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rem...b7ce-4fb4-93df-48044d3cf71e&priceBeautifyAB=0

Even after importing to India, it might not cost you more than 9K max.. These can easily bring a Floor standers to life..

I had used SMSL Q5 Pro, a similar product like above for a good time..

But if you wish to get to a good HT experience in an in-expensive way, consider used AVR with digital inputs and reusing the Sony satellites..

Thank you for the reply.

Is there no solution - which can use the speaker system I have? The Sony SA-D10?

My question was more on the lines of "connectivity solution" from TV to the Sony SA-D10..
maybe >> Optical--to--2RCA or similar kind of conversion.

Thanks,

Ace.

Although you may find claimed converters from digital to analog over amazon etc...it will not work effectively....

As advised, have you checked your TV settings to see if the USB (TV Media Player) source volume levels is high or at default?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back